a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Storm Jib Measurements

Started by NateD, May 08, 2010, 09:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

I was out in some strong gusty wind last weekend. Gusts were over 30mph. My smallest jib is a 110, which was just too much to be using in that wind. I had a hard time working to windward (OK, it was nearly impossible), and I wasn't able to tack as the bow would just get blown off, so I am thinking a small jib would be helpful. Has anyone else had one made? What dimensions? How does it handle in 30mph+ winds?

Pat McL

Nate,

Go back and check some of the earlier posts from Multimedia (Dale) Smith. He has addressed this issue quite well, and has the dimensions you want. On the other hand, I had a suit of sails (stock dimensions) for my compac-I cut last year from National. I had two sets of reef points set into the main, (haven't needed to use the second set yet), and had reef points set into the 110 jib. Reefing the jib works well. Was out in conditions similar to your descriptions a few times, and by reefing both the main and the jib, the rig was balanced, stayed on its feet, and handled beautifully. Totally safe in 30+ wind conditions, pointed normally, and tacked very well. Something to consider--- Pat

newt

Let me get this right Pat- You had a CP-16 in over 30 knots and were able to go upwind? What were the swells like? You sir are quite a Sailor!

breeze

Nate
A simple solution and cost savings for reducing the jib
Have a local sailmaker sew in a new clew and tack ring and a few eyelets in line with the clew and tack.
When you go to use the reefing this way the procedure is about the same as slab reefing on the main.
Loosen the halyard and drop the jib down to the next tack, pull the halyard back up, retie the slack sheet line to the next clew, roll up and tie the foot of the jib, switch tacks and change the last sheet to the new clue.

I have used this method on a S2-9.2 for many years

I would not recommend more than a 20 or 25 % reduction

Far less cost than having a new sail made.

The best thing is that you do not have to store another sail.
Happy Sailing
David

NateD

Pat - I tried searching before I posted my question and I found Multimediasmith's posts about the jib he had made, but I couldn't find the dimensions listed. I even sent him a private message asking for the dimensions. It's been about a week and a half and I haven't heard back from him, that's why I posted the question. I'll try searching again though, maybe I missed it.

breeze - My current suite of sails is at the end of the useful life, so I'm not sure I want to put any more money into them. Maybe I should consider a new 110 jib with reef points though....

Pat McL

Nate

Suzy and I have been sailing this boat since we purchased it in 1976, and believe me, it can take more weather than we care to sail in. (We really don't care to sail in winds over 16 knots, but it happens now and then. Waves are the real problem, but again, this little boat is built like a life boat).

The original Johnson sails are considered to be too light and they have performed poorly from day one. They always tended to balloon in heavy air, the original roller reefing did not perform well at all on the main, and they were kind of dangerous when you needed to flatten them. Pointing was poor, and tacking under roller reefing was tough. I sent my originals to Sailcare a few years ago who did a great job on them, but the dacron is under 4 oz, and we still had less than steller performance with them. I did have slab reefing placed in the main which helped a lot in windier conditions.

The new sails are of heavier material, and the performance difference is amazing. Now when a gust hits, we pick up speed rather than heel hard. When reefed for conditions we stay on our feet keeping the keel in the water which is critical on these boats. Checking old working boats, you will find that reefing jibs was a common practice.  If your sails are the originals from the model one series (1975 thru early '80's), I recommend replacing them and get the slugs for the mast slot rather than the original bolt rope.

Check the answer section on the North Carolina Sailboat forum. "http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/"  These guys know com-pacs!    --- Pat