News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

eclispe capability as a coastal cruiser.

Started by gmerrill, April 27, 2010, 04:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I'm hoping in a year maybe 2 upgrade from my legacy to a larger boat.  I have consider the eclispe.  What I need is a boat which will
make for a good coastal cruiser along the Gulf of Mexico panhandle. Daytrips in between port visits.  Is there anyone who has an eclispe or similiar size that could advise me on this.  Also are there many eclispe owner's out there.

thanks
greg
legacy

Glenn Basore

I have a 2006 Eclipse which I sail off the cost of Ventura California. (Ventura Marina)

I like my boat very much and as much as I would like to sail down the cost I would want something larger like the Com Pac 23 or 25 and above.

All though, If I was sailing with several other boats (going to the islands off Ventura for the week end ) who could watch out for me I would try it.

Ive only been sailing for about 6 8 years and don't have much experience to give you like some of the older salts on this site, I'm sure they will give you some good advice.

gmerrill

GLENN

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.   HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CAUGHT OUT IN BAD CONDITIONS HIGH SEAS
AND WINDS.

GREG

Glenn Basore

Greg,

Sorry for the late reply, be on vacation......

No, I'm very cautious when sailing.

I have been out in 15-20 winds , 6 to 8 foot swells and she did fine. Ive also been in some messy stuff, 2 to 3 foot white caps and she just plows though it.

reef early, I usual will reef at dock and once out if conditions are right I shake the sails out.

Glenn

Craig Weis

If your going port to port, consider the calculated hull speed of the up-graded boat picked out.
When caught in a storm of reasonable intensity, button up the boat so she's a cork. The boat will take much more then the skipper and crew can.

Kind of like flying, when you have time to spare, go by air.

skip.

brackish

Greg, I've never sailed an Eclipse but researched them as a possibility before buying my boat.  I've sailed the area you are targeting and if your plan is to stay inshore I think an eclipse would be a good boat for the area.  It is an area with a lot of sand shoals and shallow water to get to places that are desireable, and the Eclipse shoal draft is great for that.  You would need to point well to go from land to the barrier islands of the Gulf Island National Seashore system because of the prevailing winds and the fact that the Eclipse has a CB would be helpful in that regard.  It has a relatively flat hull profile and a plumb bow and those result in high initial stability and good motion comfort when attempting to reach into high quartering seas.  It has a lot of room below for its size.  It, like most ComPacs, is somewhat underpowered with its working sails so you won't get in trouble there.  It has an oddly rigged standard asymmetrical that can jibe inside the forestay but still should give you a lot of power coming back from those barrier islands with the prevailing winds.  In really bad weather, you can always plan to duck into the intercoastal for your trip.

You should probably try to arrange for a sail on one to see what you think.  Maybe Hutchins can help with arranging that.

Glenn Basore

Greg,

I most often sail with all port holes closed and the forward hatch closed, I also have the bottom companion way door in place when weather conditions are concern for me.

gmerrill

guys  thanks for the encouragement and the good advice

greg
legacy