- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tillers finished

Started by brackish, April 06, 2010, 02:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Quote from: curtisv on April 09, 2010, 01:57:47 AM
Quote from: Bob23 on April 08, 2010, 09:26:43 PM

The satisfaction will be when I feel much less weather helm from the tiller and also seeing that nice, varnished Sapele blade hanging off the stern.

Feeling less weather helm?  Did you go a little longer on the tiller?  The CP23 tiller is a little on the short side.  I think a Cape Dory 22 tiller is long with a radical curve to get it over the coming.

Curtis

I did go about two inches longer, felt that the OEM tiller was a little short.  With my telescoping extension, I think it might be just right now, not so long it sweeps the whole cockpit clear when coming about, but long enough to be anywhere in the cockpit and steer.

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on April 09, 2010, 04:48:29 AM
Curt:
   My quote refers to my rudder conversion project. I didn't remake my tiller but have turned my factory flat aluminum blade into a wood foiled blade. I really need to learn to post photos here...I promise to try.
   I'm expecting substantially less weather helm with the foil shape and I've moved more of the rudder body forward. I ain't no Herreshoff but I hope it works.
Bob23

Bob,

That makes a lot more sense.  I bought one of the IdaMarine rudder and bought a new headsail in the same winter.  It made a huge difference but I can't tell how much was the rudder and how much was the sail.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

I promise a full report after sea (bay) trials. I've made no other changes to "Koinonia" so this rudder project should prove interesting.
Bob23

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on April 10, 2010, 03:39:44 AM
I promise a full report after sea (bay) trials. I've made no other changes to "Koinonia" so this rudder project should prove interesting.
Bob23

I still have my aluminum flat blade rudder and have intended to put it on one day and do a "same conditions" comparison, but never got around to it.  It seemed like work to pull up in shallow water and change rudders twice, though we have to perfect beach to do it at nearby.

I look forward to your report.  And pictures.

Curtis
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA

Bob23

If this rudder proves to be a success, I may be in the market for anyones unwanted flat aluminum blades. Of course I'd drive out to pick 'em up...can you imagine the shipping on that beast?
Bob23

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on April 10, 2010, 08:22:21 PM
If this rudder proves to be a success, I may be in the market for anyones unwanted flat aluminum blades. Of course I'd drive out to pick 'em up...can you imagine the shipping on that beast?
Bob23

Are you going into the recycling business?
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA

Bob23

No. I'd love to build more wood rudders. This one, I realized part way through, is only a prototype. I could shave 1/3 the time off additional projects and even more if I built more than one at a time.
   Hmm... I could expand to 16's and 19's. Of course I'll be the first to admit that you have to be a wood freak to appreciate this rudder. There will be some maintenance involved. Just like maintaining the teak we have on the exterior. The wood freak will just accept the work as a part of life and invest the time to keep it looking pretty.
   All this work for something that, most of the time, is under water. Am I nuts?
Bob23

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on April 11, 2010, 05:45:47 AM
   No. I'd love to build more wood rudders. This one, I realized part way through, is only a prototype. I could shave 1/3 the time off additional projects and even more if I built more than one at a time.
   Hmm... I could expand to 16's and 19's. Of course I'll be the first to admit that you have to be a wood freak to appreciate this rudder. There will be some maintenance involved. Just like maintaining the teak we have on the exterior. The wood freak will just accept the work as a part of life and invest the time to keep it looking pretty.
   All this work for something that, most of the time, is under water. Am I nuts?
Bob23

You are definitely not nuts.  I love woodwork as well but don't have the luxury to spend much time on it.  So I have to pick occasional projects.  Over the last few years I've had not time at all.  If I did I would have been building the sculling oar that I've wanted to build for a few years now.

My next door neighbor is retired and he and his kids (in their 40s I think) build things at his house now and then like entire small vessels.  Kayak size but still neat projects.  I looked for photos but looks like I don't have any.

Curtis
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA

Bob23

I have the luxury of building things for a job and getting paid for it (most of the time). There are plans in the works for a small shop out back to build small boats, kayaks, etc. I'd love to build a sculling oar...if I ever get serious about it, we should brainstorm it.
   Ahh...to be retired with enough money to build stuff for fun.
Bob23

brackish

Ahh...to be retired with enough money to build stuff for fun.
Bob23

Bob, that is exactly where I am! (well the retired part, not sure about the money part).

Half of the case good furniture in my house is home made and I have fun doing it.  It is better than I can buy and costs far less.  But I have to watch the Admiral, when that whip starts to crack, the fun can be taken out of it. 

Now short poll, is two years to finish a china cabinet and sideboard too long?:)

Bob23

I'll answer that question by posing another:
   Can one put a price or time limit on quality? Is true quality that tangable so as to be defined in hours and dollars? When one pours one's soul into a project, can a deadline be demanded? NAY! May it never be.
  At least these are some of the excuses I've tried...
Bob23

brackish

Bob 23, waxing poetically, uttered the following:

Can one put a price or time limit on quality? Is true quality that tangable so as to be defined in hours and dollars? When one pours one's soul into a project, can a deadline be demanded? NAY! May it never be.

LOL, I'm using that one verbatim the next time she gets on my case.

Bob23

To be fair:
   My Admirals response is something akin to: "Cut the crap and get it done!". But not quite that polite!
   All kidding aside, she's pretty patient with me. I've been honing my gift of procrastination for over 57 years now and I'm proud to say that I'm damn good at it!
   Bob23

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on April 14, 2010, 09:33:22 PM
I've been honing my gift of procrastination for over 57 years now and I'm proud to say that I'm damn good at it!

About 3 or 4 years ago I bought some spruce to build a sculling oar.  I think its dry by now.

Curtis
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA