Main Menu

Tillers finished

Started by brackish, April 06, 2010, 02:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Laminated tiller, Ash and Walnut.

Test clamp.

Real glue up.

A pass through the jointer, then planer, then bandsaw to get the taper.

Shaped the curves.

Now for about six or eight coats of Bristol, all done.

Salty19

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Great  job, Brack:
   How has the Bristol finish held up for you? I used it on my old SeaPearl  and didn't get a great life out of it but I think they've changed the formula. Any feedback?
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on April 06, 2010, 09:30:33 PM
Great  job, Brack:
   How has the Bristol finish held up for you? I used it on my old SeaPearl  and didn't get a great life out of it but I think they've changed the formula. Any feedback?
Bob23

Bob, I've never used it.  I'm trying it on the recommendation of a friend who uses it on his Carribiana skiff (one of those fancy skiffs looks like a Greek fishing boat) and swears by it.  My exterior wood currently has Waterlox Marine on it and it has not held up very well at all. I'm doing everything with the Bristol this Spring.  Time will tell...

kahpho

'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

nies

Real sweet............I want brackish's work shop, that's real, real, real, sweet....................I don't think we're suppose to covety, but could not help myself....Phil

brackish

Thanks all, but it's easy if you have the "right stuff."

LOL Phil, it is easy to get the "right stuff" for your workshop if you happen to run the factory that makes it.  We had a fairly liberal employee sale policy, and in fact encouraged employee's to engage in woodworking.  That certainly always paid off in product development and testing.  Put experienced  woodworkers on the new product teams and very good things happen.  The thing I need more than anything is about another 500 square feet of space.

Finishing up the rest of the winter boat projects and just in time, the Admiral wants her China Cabinet finished, she is just shy of bringing me up for court martial.

kickingbug1

wonderful job---nothing like making something yourself
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Greene

Very nice.  Even if our projects end up costing more than the store bought version it is much more satisfying in the end.  Enjoy your new stick.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

brackish

Quote from: Greene on April 07, 2010, 06:01:46 PM
Very nice.  Even if our projects end up costing more than the store bought version it is much more satisfying in the end.  Enjoy your new stick.

Mike

Hey Mike, I got maybe five bucks worth of wood, glue and finish in that thing.  Store bought is what $65-70?

Oh, you must mean that $30K worth of shop, machinery and tools.  Hey, you can't count that, it's overhead. :)

Greene

I've guess the overhead should be ignored in most of our hobbies.  I've always been amazed at what some of my relatives invest in hunting and fishing equipment to get the same stuff I buy at the grocery store for a little bit of nothing.  A $2000 gun, $110 worth of ammo, hunting license, tree stand,camo clothes,..........ends up to equal an awful lot of dollars per pound of meat. 

We all have that addiction don't we?   The fun is in the doing.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

kahpho

Quote from: brackish on April 08, 2010, 09:08:25 AM
Hey Mike, I got maybe five bucks worth of wood, glue and finish in that thing.  Store bought is what $65-70?

Oh, you must mean that $30K worth of shop, machinery and tools.  Hey, you can't count that, it's overhead. :)

Excellent! I'd be happy to give ya twenty bucks for it.  300% pure profit, come on, what do ya say?

Oh, you want to get payed for your time too?
nevermind ( me leaving disappointed )

You know I'm jokin' ya, right? Really nice job, I wouldn't offer twenty bucks for any old thing.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Bob23

Gents:
  The fun IS in the doing. I've been keeping track of the costs and time spent on my 23's wood rudder project, which is nearing completion. The satisfaction will be when I feel much less weather helm from the tiller and also seeing that nice, varnished Sapele blade hanging off the stern.
  My friend Steve said I was nuts (not really debatable) that is was only a rudder, that I was going overboard. Isn't that kinda like saying our Compacs are only boats? Nay, Nay! May it never be!
  Brack: That tiller is one of a kind...very nice. Keep us posted on the Bristol Finish if you think of it.
Bob23...not tired of sanding epoxy yet!

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on April 08, 2010, 09:26:43 PM

The satisfaction will be when I feel much less weather helm from the tiller and also seeing that nice, varnished Sapele blade hanging off the stern.

Feeling less weather helm?  Did you go a little longer on the tiller?  The CP23 tiller is a little on the short side.  I think a Cape Dory 22 tiller is long with a radical curve to get it over the coming.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Curt:
   My quote refers to my rudder conversion project. I didn't remake my tiller but have turned my factory flat aluminum blade into a wood foiled blade. I really need to learn to post photos here...I promise to try.
   I'm expecting substantially less weather helm with the foil shape and I've moved more of the rudder body forward. I ain't no Herreshoff but I hope it works.
Bob23