a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

porta-pots?

Started by davemcg3000, February 27, 2010, 12:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davemcg3000

Gotta question - do any of you use porta-pots on your 16's?   which do you recommend, and how do you set it up so that there's some modicum of privacy for women (are there any women sailors on this forum?).  When it's just me and the boys we use gallon jugs, but for my wife and her friends.........  I'm thinking of rigging a curtain that can be placed in the hatch, for example.  Has anyone tried something like this? 

Thanks
Dave
Seattle, WA

mikew

Dave, Yes I use one on my 1983 cp-16 for daytrips and overnights. I have used it with my son or wife onboard too.
For privacy we use it in the cabin pulled out between the bunks, with the hatch board in. The sliding top hatch may need to be open for adult headroom. I still use the one that came with my boat from Sears which is no longer made. Thetford makes
a good quality porta-potty. Look for one that will fit between the bunks were it is stored pushed a bit under the cockpit
floor. You can look on-line for good sales at RV stores.

Mike   

adifferentdrummer

I have one made by Coleman that I paid about forty dollars for. I carried it on board all last season, primarily for the convenience of female guests. Though it was rarely needed, it was reassuring to know that it was there, just in case. It fits perfectly between the cabin berths, slides back under the companionway entrance for out of the way storage, and slides forward for use. I had it oriented so that when seated for use, the user was facing forward (toward the bow). Since I have modified the contour of the berths slightly it should now be possible to slide it further forward and orient it facing the stern for a better view while seated. That should also allow it to serve as a comfortable extra seat within the cabin. I also sometimes pull it just slightly forward to use it as a first step for stepping down into the cabin.

I haven't had a problem with odors, but, as I said, it is rarely used, and rarely for anything other than liquid waste. It is always thoroughly cleaned within a short time after time any use. Fortunately, there is a dump station with wash down facilities located on site at the area where I normally sail from. Since my sailing often involves overnighting, I consider the port-a-pot to be an essential piece of equipment for my boat.

NateD

I'm afraid it's easier to find a woman who doesn't need privacy than it is to find privacy on a 16' foot boat, although finding those women ain't easy either. As others have said we keep the potty in the cabin facing forward. When in use we put the hatch board in, but have to leave the sliding hatch open for head room. While it is far from optimal, it seems to be the best arrangement that we've found.

I kind of like the idea of facing the potty toward the cockpit when single handing for a better view. I was researching anarchist communes years ago, and in one of the interviews the person was asked, "What is the best part of living on the commune?" and the guy said something to the effect of "I get a different view of the sun rising each morning while I crap." It sounded like a nice idea, but that commune ended up having serious health problems due to the lack of running water and the apparently haphazard latrine situation. A woman was asked the same question and she said, "I get up each morning, walk to the front porch naked, stretch my arms up toward the sky, and yell f*** as loud as I can." Unfortunately she was about 230lbs and while I might enjoy it for the first day or two, I don't think I would want to live next to a fleshy profane alarm clock for very long.

Do I get any points for getting more off topic than skip?

Anyway, given the configuration of the CP16, it's going to be hard to get any kind of privacy. The best option might be to hold it and wait until you hit the beach (if possible).

Steve Ullrich

Hi Nate - Good to see you back on the forum. Here is the smallest one I've located... Not a lot of room in the cabin.

http://www.adventurerv.net/thetford-porta-pottipotty-135-portable-toilet-camper-p-621.html (better price)

Quote from: NateD on February 28, 2010, 10:05:03 AM
I'm afraid it's easier to find a woman who doesn't need privacy than it is to find privacy on a 16' foot boat, although finding those women ain't easy either. As others have said we keep the potty in the cabin facing forward. When in use we put the hatch board in, but have to leave the sliding hatch open for head room. While it is far from optimal, it seems to be the best arrangement that we've found.

I kind of like the idea of facing the potty toward the cockpit when single handing for a better view. I was researching anarchist communes years ago, and in one of the interviews the person was asked, "What is the best part of living on the commune?" and the guy said something to the effect of "I get a different view of the sun rising each morning while I crap." It sounded like a nice idea, but that commune ended up having serious health problems due to the lack of running water and the apparently haphazard latrine situation. A woman was asked the same question and she said, "I get up each morning, walk to the front porch naked, stretch my arms up toward the sky, and yell f*** as loud as I can." Unfortunately she was about 230lbs and while I might enjoy it for the first day or two, I don't think I would want to live next to a fleshy profane alarm clock for very long.

Do I get any points for getting more off topic than skip?

Anyway, given the configuration of the CP16, it's going to be hard to get any kind of privacy. The best option might be to hold it and wait until you hit the beach (if possible).
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Rick Klages

Bucket, toilet seat and trash bag. It is just that simple.

Bob23

"Researching anarchist communes"? Man, it must be a long winter. And, yes, I'd give you extra points.
Bob23

Brian 1851

Hi Dave,

I have a thetford 135 and it fits well between the bunks.  My porta potty is facing the cockpit.  I also can push it a little further back because I cut the bunks so they are squared off about 6 inches away from the post.  Facing the bow on the porta potty for me did not work because my head was to far out of the cabin.

Craig Weis

I don't do it but the Captain of the S/V Peanut Butter simply pees on the cockpit sole and flushes with a buck of water out the scuppers when sailing conditions allow. Give him a break, he's 72 years young.

As far as #2 is concerned a trip to any R/V sales and equipment outlet or outdoor sporting store like Dunham's Sports probably would sell a port-a-potty. I could only find one that was short enough to slide under the companionway stairs on my CP-19 boat Comfort & Joy and that is a VAGABOND #226, 232, 240, 248, or 263. By CP Products. I don't know which # it was.  But it is a 2-Piece Portable Flush Toilet. Which as a guy I have used once in maybe 8 years. I prefer the over the side method. Like a moose, bear, deer, beaver, bird, other boaters and fish.

And I will say that those dead bodies who the Coast Guard fishes out of the water usually have the fly open...catch my drift?

It's the pause that refreshes and renews my hatered of all things DNR/EPA. And Ralph Nader too. Why do we as a nation need to 'Naderize' a bottle of aspirin? I thought that was the parents job when raising there babies.

skip.

romei

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

davemcg3000

We've got some opinionated folks here on this sensitive subject, no doubt......
I like the wide range of options - always good to have options ready at hand when nature calls
Sail On and pee freely!
Dave

Deb

Okay!!!  Now a subject I can jump back into the fray with some very sound advice from yes a woman sailor here.  The only potty I need is a large coffee can.  If necessary at all.  The scuppers work too.  Privacy not needed. 
Where's Frank and Milt???
Went out yesterday on Chilhowee...the 20mph gusts scared the dickens out of me but made me tougher!!!!  Sailed down to see the rockslide on the dragon.  Waters still very cold.  What I found interesting was the boat was unsteady and not responding well and I was going to motor back to dock and as I put the motor down in the water she became more controllable.  I sailed a bit with her like that until I got just too tired and cold and then cranked her up.  The stern being down a bit more seemed to really help. The waves best as I could tell were 18 inches at times....was fun but wish I didn't have the pups with.  I'm always braver alone!  Are y'all like that?
Deb

rwdsr

Deb,
Good to see you on, haven't seen you on for a while.  Tell me a little about Chilhowee,  is that close to Knoxville?  Gonna try to get up there sometime this spring or summer for a sail on Douglas Lake with Milt.  I heard from him, I think the day before yesterday, said he hasn't gotten out yet.  Supposed to be in the high 60's and sunny here in middle TN Saturday, maybe it'll be nice enough for you all to get out over there.  Are you planning to make the Lake Carlysle trip in July?
BobD
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

adifferentdrummer

Quote from: Deb on March 24, 2010, 10:12:32 PM
Okay!!!  Now a subject I can jump back into the fray with some very sound advice from yes a woman sailor here.  The only potty I need is a large coffee can.  If necessary at all.  The scuppers work too.  Privacy not needed. 
Where's Frank and Milt???

Good to see your post, Deb, and to hear that you've been out sailing. I don't know where Frank got off to. I haven't seen any posts from him in a few months. Hope he will pop back in soon. I'm still looking forward to us all getting our boats together this season. I would also like to explore the areas where you are guys are sailing. I've only seen Chilhowee from the back of my iron horse, and I'd love to see it from the cockpit of my little Puddleduck.

As to porta-pots, it is a rare privilege to meet a woman who is not too hung up on 'civilized' ways to use a coffee can. To me, that is a sign of an open mind and a practical way of looking at things. It seems to me that the more involved in sailing one becomes (man or woman), the more open minded and practical they become (or maybe it's because they are open minded and practical that they become sailors). I carry several of the one and two pound plastic coffee cans with snap on lids aboard. They are handy for a multitude of uses and are easily rinsed out over the side when needed. I also have a Coleman porta-pot which slides back under the companionway entrance when not needed. I carried it on board all last season, but still have yet to use it for anything other than a handy first step down into the cabin, or a neat little low table for in between the bunks. I like having it just in case it should ever be needed for it's intended purpose, but I find the coffee can to be most effective and if I really need to commune with nature in earnest I can always find a spot of land to relax on for a while.

It sounds like you had a nice sail on Chilhowee the other day, although curious what you said about the boat being unsteady and not responding well. Is she carrying a lot of gear weight that might need redistributing? Were you flying a storm jib, a working jib, or a genoa, and did you have your mainsail reefed? My only head sail is a genny and I would like to find a smaller jib for high wind conditions.

In case this site should ever go off line again as it did once before not too long ago, I have posted my email address in the interest of keeping in touch with the sailing friends I have met on here. I have exchange emails with rwdsr and would like to, also, with you and Frank, and any others on here who wish to keep in touch with me. It's adifferent_drummer at Yahoo dot com. Feel free to drop me a line.

Hope to see you out on the water soon.

Milt

P. S.  Have you noticed if that CP16 is still over on the road between Maryville and Seymour? I wonder if it might be for sale. I have a friend who is looking for one.

Potcake boy

Quote from: Brian 1851 on March 06, 2010, 10:27:57 PM
Hi Dave,

I have a thetford 135 and it fits well between the bunks.  My porta potty is facing the cockpit.  I also can push it a little further back because I cut the bunks so they are squared off about 6 inches away from the post.  Facing the bow on the porta potty for me did not work because my head was to far out of the cabin.

Brian - If your head were out of the cabin wouldn't it be called an outhouse?  I really think you should mount it on the transom and have yourself a proper poop deck!!!

I think the real question here is: who's gonna get stuck with emptying the thing?  ARRGH  it's hard to be a sailor in a polite society.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water