a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

One of those two SunCats...

Started by Joseph, February 23, 2010, 07:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

One of the two SunCats that CaptnRon saw during his recent tour of the Hutchins' yard (re: Horizon Forum) is, very likely, destined to migrate North...

After some very sound advice received in this superb forum (and also after having taken a year off retirement to gather the required funds...), I decided that a new SunCat was the boat that best fitted the sailing aspirations of my later years. So, in a month or so I hope to drive into 1195 Kapp Drive and haul one of those two cute little floating devices witnessed by CaptnRon, all the way to the Great White North.

In the process, I intend to see a lot of Interstates 81 and 95, so if anyone is not too far from the main path and feels like sharing a cup of coffee, or, after I stop for the night, feels like discussing the philosophy of sailing while sampling some local brew, I'll do my best to oblige...

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Bob23

I'd love to share some time but I think my homestead (NJ) is not on your route. Best wishes with the new boat! Er, I mean yacht.
Bob23

ontarioSuncat

What part of the North are you talking about? If it is all the way across the boarder into Canada, and perhaps Ontario perhaps we can meet up?

Joseph

Bob -
Don't give up hope... I have good friends in NJ and may plan a detour on the way South...

OntarioSuncat -
Yes, she will be another OntarioSuncat sailing Bob and Doug McKenzie's GWN... Eh! :)
I'll send you a personal message with the travel plans.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

jamato323

Congratulations! I know the feeling. We placed an order for Sanura last March and waited anxiously for her to be born up on Knapp Dr. Gerry H. was a proud builder showing us our new addition. Although we didn't have to drive her home as far as you, it was eventful as I hate heights and the Tampa Bay Skyway bridge was a challenge for me. Good luck and enjoy your new boat.

Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

kickingbug1

i dont know if i will ever tire of my little 16, but if i do i think the suncat might be just the thing. i am a little concerned with dealing with the gaff spar but i did see a suncat at the strickly sail show in chicago and i was damned impressed. i look forward to see how you like your new boat but i know the answer----it is after all a com-pac
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

tmorgan

Congrats on your new purchase.  I picked my Sun Cat, SunShower, up at the factory three years ago on spring break.  I sailed for a few days out of Dunedin just north of Clearwater and then towed her home to Virginia. You will love your boat I am sure.  The Sun Cat is a great boat to trailer and cruise around different waters! 

Joseph

Thank you all for the good wishes and vibes. 

All my copilots have deserted me, which mean that I'll be alone at the wheel of the land auxiliary... I intend to ride 400 miles (650 km) a day and stop for the night in motels along the road. The entire distance is 1500 mi (2400 km), so I am planning for 4 days on the road either way with less than 7-8 hrs a day at the wheel (almost a full day at the office...:)).

I'd appreciate any advice on preferred places to stop for the night and where and how to best park and secure the boat and trailer. I have a special lock to secure the coupler when unhooked from the car but I presume that nothing beats a large chain and padlock to keep it chained to the car...

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

tmorgan

Isn't the lock one you can use when the trailer is attached to the car as well? Skinny pin that fits through the coupler with a lock on the end?  If it is not, I would suggest you buy one so the coupler is locked when you are pulling the boat on the trailer.  When we travel, we rarely uncouple the trailer from the car.  If we are just staying at a motel, we park it in a double space.  If we need to drop the trailer to go out to eat, we park in a very public spot and lock the coupler.  When we come back, we put the trailer back on the car so it is ready to go in the morning.  Don't forget a padlock to secure your hatch. Are you getting an outboard?  If so, you'll need a lock for that as well.  Have a great trip!

Joseph

TMorgan,

Much appreciated.

What I already got is a lock for the pin on top of the coupler (but I guess any regular lock of similar size would have done the work):

I also got a lock to occupy the space taken by the ball whenever the trailer is uncoupled from the trailer:

And, I also have a lockable pin to attach the drawbar to the hitch receptacle.

Thank you for your indication about parking in double space without uncoupling the trailer from the car. I was imagining parking spots only side by side... I will not have the outboard with me so that is not a concern. The other thing I am debating is whether I should get any locks for the wheels.  Or...  to take with me one of my galvanized 3B anchor chains to link (literally!) trailer and car together if I have to uncouple the trailer overnight. I don't want to over do it and I realize that it is very difficult to get complete protection from a determined thief... On the other hand I'd hate to loose the trailer (and the boat!) along the way, even if they'll be already insured...

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Bob23

Just sleep in the boat with a loaded shotgun...should be a good deterrent!
Bob23

Joseph

One of those boats is no longer in the Hutchins' yard...

I arrived in Clearwater on the evening of the 17 (quite appropriate...), had a great visit with the Hutchins, got the Florida temporary plate for the trailer the next day, and could have headed back right away but decided instead to stay for the weekend in the Clearwater-St Petersburg area... On Monday 22 the boat was hooked to the Jeep and after overnighting in Brunswick GA, Fayetteville NC, and Winchester, VA, she is now in Cortland, NY ready for the border crossing into the Great White North at the Thousand Islands.

The trip so far has been smooth, uneventful and thoroughly enjoyable. The boat rides very well on the trailer and fuel consumption while towing has only gone up to what it usually is when driving without a tow in city traffic. The boat has raised a lot of interest and has received many compliments along the way...

She should be arriving at the Sailing Club tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to a first launch/sail very soon. This promises to be an interesting season...

J.

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Bob23

Joseph:
   Let me be the first to congratulate you...she's a beauty- but what new CP isn't? Any names yet? Keep us posted on her maiden voyage.
Bob23

nies

WOW, I share your joy.............the joy of a new boat can not be put in words, only felt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............sail on.................Phil

jamato323

Good for you Joseph. She is a beauty. You'll get lots more compliments even though
some power boaters give them grudgingly. Fair winds!
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"