Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

NACA-0014 Rudder Modification Underway

Started by Greene, February 01, 2010, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Mike:
   The "Lean Mean Greene Machine" rudder looks great! When do you anticipate sea trials? I'm shooting for a 5/22 launch. In the meantime, I'll finish up some varnishing and the chart table I described under the 23 section.
   Dunno, Mike. I think some folks are just scratching thier heads, wondering just what kind of nuts hang around here. Hey, it could be a real rudder!
Bob23

Craig Weis

Let that epoxy cure under water after a few hours rest. Bolt her up her up and go sailing.
Don't forget the bushings shoulder to shoulder in the rudder casting. Zero slop! Even a little hold'em friction. With the rudder kicked fwd a bit she'll be balanced. Like power steering on the tiller.

skip.

Salty19

rwdsr-

I received your email.  You accidentally sent it off to Greene (thanks to Mike for forwarding).   I've traced the foil and will get it in the mail to you this week!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Skip, thanks. I had to replace the gugeon head due to corrosion so those bushings are new. While wantering around in Lowe's the other day, I came across bronze bushings that will fit perfectly to replace the ones in the rudder head. I may go the whole 9 yards and get bronze bolts...mayne not.
Bob23

rwdsr

Salty, OOPS! Don't know how I got that confused, anyway thanks for the help all.

BobD
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

Salty19

No worries :)

Today I sent you two traces of the NACA 0012 foil on construction paper.  In case you make a mistake cutting one out with the exacto knife to trace on some plywood, you'll have a second chance at it.  Good luck with the project--along with new sails this is the best modification you can make for performance!

rwdsr

Thank you again, new sails are next.  I got my iron genny the other day, but with the high water around here don't think I'll get out to try it out this weekend or not.  May just work on the trailer for my bass boat.
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

TeamSlacker

My 'double-ohh-14' is nearing completion finally. Anxious to get out in the boat to try it.
I did similar to above except the leading edge.
I used a 1/4x1" strip of oak (because that's what I found at the lumber yard) and placed that at the leading edge of the stock blade. I figured that still gave me the hard leading edge, without having to shape as much as Greene did. So I basically layed a 1" piece of pink foam down, stock alum blade on it, with the 1" strip at the leading edge, and another 1" pink foam on top. Glued it all together with some West Systems 105/206. After curing shaped it as close as possible to the NACA0014 printout that I traced to cardboard. When I had the shape, I epoxed a layer of FG cloth over the works, followed by 3-4 coats of resin, sanded, painted and primed.
The airfoil shape isn't perfect compared to my printed foil, but I figured getting it close is better than the stock flat blade. Have to get it done before summer is over.
I'd post pictures, but can't seem to get into my web host right now.

DOUG142

Excellent TeamSlacker,  It is very good to hear of another com-pac sailor using the naca 0014 foil for their rudder.  The improvement is immediately felt on the tiller and you WILL be pleased.  Good work, spread the word.  If anyone else needs the pattern let me know via email and I will send.

Instigator of the NACA 0014 movement.

Doug 142
Com-pac 16
Summer Escape
See you at the Carlyle Lake Rendezvous July 9th thru the 11th, 2010
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

newt

Doug, I have been reading Lecture's book and he mentions a 0010 as his favorite waterfoil. Why did you choose 0014? Did you just like the width? Are it's stall characteristics the best? Just looking at various options...

DOUG142

Newt,

I thought you built your NACA foil rudder already!  Really, when I got the idea to build my own, I was looking at IDAsailors foil rudders and the huge price on them.  I thought, since I do some woodworking on the side that I could build my own and save hundreds of dollars.  So I did.  IDA uses a NACA 0012 foil and I surely didn't want to copy theirs and infringe in any way............... so I bought a foil generator program and researched several.  0010 would work.  Actually, probably anything better than the FLAT blade rudder will work.

That my fellow Com-pac sailor is the short version of why NACA 0014 foiled rudder.  It works.
Doug
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Greene

I just followed Doug142's lead and copied everything I could (twice).  I'm a cheater.  Thanks Doug.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

newt

I haven't built it yet Doug. I guess I am just a little slow (just ask my kids), but still looking into various foils. I am looking at everything from a 0010 to a 0030 trying to find the best stall characteristics. I wouldn't worry about copying the 0012- that foil is not patented by anyone.
One of my main problems is that I'm out sailing too much, and I don't want to get any part of my boat out of the slip! Yeah!

Salty19

Well, Newt...Doug can send you the 0014 foil shape/template and I can send you a 0012 shape/template.  So we have you covered on these!

DOUG142

Newt,
Actually I can send you any foil you want.   just tell me the width you are shooting for.  The stock Com-pac 16 blade is 12 inches wide,  we all have been adding 1 inch to the leading edge made out of some hardwood.  Mine is hard maple.  I punch in the computer 14 inch wide rudder, because you cut off or eliminate the last trailing inch.  to thin, breaks off, creates drag, etc.   SO you end up with a 13 inch wide rudder.  You can and some have added length to the stock rudder also.

Then you get to choose which foil you want......10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and so on.
These are symetrical in design.  Same on both sides.

Let me know if I can generate one just for you.  I can get it in the mail usually within a day.
Smooth sailing.
Doug
CP-16
Summer Escape