Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Single Hand set up CP19

Started by botelerr, January 10, 2010, 11:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Weis

Skip has #6 size. That requires glue.

This is from my 3 ring notebook of EVERYTHING I ever bought for my boat. The only reason I bought them was West Marine had them on Clarence. OOPS! Clearance. Giggles thanx.

skip.

Bob23

Iv'e never used the Winchers on my 23. Someone in her past graciously installed Andersen 12ST self tailing winches on her. I guess I've been spoiled; I wouldn't sail without 'em. It really makes singlehanding much easier. Plus the stainless steel is sooooo shiney! Not that she doesn't get enough attention already.
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

botelerr

Clarence or not I need Winchers for the 19.. Rob

Salty19

I think I'm going to pass on the winchers in favor of cam cleats with fairleads.  Like knowing the line is secure.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Salty19

Here's a pic of the new cleats.  Put a starboard spacer underneath to give it the right height.
It's a Ronstan Extreme fairlead (allows for angled sheets) nested in bedding compound set at an angle for ease of handling from the mid and rear portion of the cockpit.

Haven't sailed it yet, but looks like the sheets will run smoothly..I hope!

Greene

Salty19, 

Have you posted a few pics of this beautiful boat in a topic?  I'd love to see the whole boat. 

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Salty19

Quote from: Greene on April 28, 2010, 08:41:55 AM
Salty19, 

Have you posted a few pics of this beautiful boat in a topic?  I'd love to see the whole boat. 

Mike

Not yet, but I can do that this evening or next!

curtisv

My CP23 winches and the horn cleats work fine for me.  Self tailers would be nice, but I think I'd rather have the real thing.

Cam cleats tend to chew on line that is under a lot of stress like sheets.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Salty19

Update on the cam cleats shown above...

They seem to work fine however they are not quite tall enough to make cleating as easy as it could be.  As you can see in the pic, there is a 1/2" starboard spacer under the cam cleat--and this helps but needs a little more to keep from having to tug pointed downwards on the sheet to make the cam cleat stick.   I'll cut another 1/2" spacer and stack them together when I pull the boat for the Carlyle Lake Rendezvous in July.

Curtis, I agree with you about sheet wear on cam cleats.  Mine are new right now (New England Ropes Bzzz line 8mm) but I do keep a spare sheet onboard just in case.  I do not have a spare mainsheet however...probably should have a spare as well.   I guess I'm willing to replace them for the conveneince of the cam cleat as they do make single handling and making adjustments a little easier.  With that said, I've only had the boat out 4 times so not a lot of experience here yet on a 19.

On my 16 I had genoa tracks with (Ronstan) swiveling bullseye cam cleats on the tracks.  They worked perfectly.

curtisv

Salty,

Most of the winch work is when tacking.  Backwind slightly, then release and sheet in the new working sheet fast before there is full tension on the sheet.  If you get good at it on a small boat like a CP19 or CP23, you'll rarely need a winch handle.  Sheet in a little too far during the tack and trim by easing the sheet.  If you need to trim it may only be a quarter turn or so.

I bring the sheet over to the windward horn cleat when I'm single handing when the wind is strong (including single handing with others on board).

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Salty19

Thanks for the tip, Curtis!!

Salty19

I've decided the jib sheet winches on a 19, when used with a 110% headsail, are not necessary. 
I imagine I'll only use them on a larger headsail if I ever do that.

The cam cleats, mounted between  the jib sheet winches and horn cleats, are working out real well.  As I mentioned I just need them a little higher off the coaming to make cleating a little easier.

Single handed about 6 times this year.  The biggest challenge is docking.

Single handed equipment when sailing:

-Homemade roller furler with cockpit mounted furling line
-Harken Extreme angle cam cleats on coaming for jib sheet
-Single line jiffy reefing system
-Aft led halyard
-Forespar TFP tiller extension
-3:1 purchase mainsail outhaul

Single handed equipment when docking/undocking
-22 ft. + Bungie line tied between stern and bow cleats on dock side. Large bronze hook on bungie to attach to dock ring.  When leaving dock, remove standard dock lines, step into boat gently, unhook the hook from the dock ring.  Gives you an extra few seconds before the boat gets too far away from the dock.
-25 foot dock lines and a means to organize them in the cockpit.

drybottom

MOlson

Quote from: skip on January 18, 2010, 08:11:33 AM
Single handed.

1~Build or spend some money and purchase a furler. My furler is a Harken size '00'.

2~If no furler than rig a 1/4" line to the halyard that pulls the head sail up, so when the halyard is released from the rope clutch the head sail can be pulled down onto the foredeck. The minimum for stormy weather! Keeps you in the cockpit.

3~At the bow pulpit ahead of the head sail tac 1 block for this 1/4" line will be necessary.

4~At every opportunity going back to the cockpit on the port side rig another small block to the base of every stanchion [if you have stauntions, I had to add stauntions and stern pulpit to my CP-19.] to guide this 1/4" line to a cleat that might be screwed onto the outside of the cockpit combing just a hair ahead of the winch.

5~Note even though the head sail can be doused, it will not be secured to the foredeck and can be blown over the side. Eventually you'll have to go forward in harbor or the lee of a wind block or calmer seas to either bungee cord this canvas down to the deck or un-hank it, or stuff the sail into a sail bag. When I was the spinnaker man on a racing Rhodes 19 keel in Lake Michigan we stuffed her into a small plastic garbage can. At least this keeps the skipper off the foredeck in the 'bumps'.

6~I use an adjustable length Stick 'n Socket [port and starboard] to hold my tiller and course to quickly tend to what ever needs tending to. That's very handy. And this method keeps one side of the two settees always open fore to aft.

7~Additionally this adjustable stick can be lengthened so the skipper can hunker down right behind the closed companionway hatch in an effort to stay dry when motoring into the wind. Or beating into the wind under sail.

Everything else comes factory rigged back to the cockpit.
Enjoy your boat. Keep a log.

skip.