a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse Compared To CP-19

Started by Red Planet, December 17, 2009, 11:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Planet

In another section of this forum, David-V asked for my impressions of the Eclipse vs the CP-19, since I've owned both. By bringing the conversation over here, I'm hoping we'll rope in some other folks who've sailed both of these boats.

Here's David-V's question:

"Red Planet,   by the sounds of it you have owned both a CP19 and now an Eclipse. Can I ask what you think of the Eclipse in comparison to the CP19? I haven't seen an Eclipse yet ( I'm talking about the boat), but am very interested in one as a possible upgrade. Do you believe the Eclipse is as well made as the CP19? Compared to other boat I have seen in the 18' - 20' range the CP19 is very well built. The boat I have will be 20 years this spring and no stress cracks. Does the Mastender System make that much of a difference? I have managed to streamline my launch time with the CP19 down to the 20 - 25 min. range. How about getting it back on the trailer with the shallower draft, there are several launches in my area that I won't use because I don't want to deal with the return trip. Concerning the interior space, I do not find the CP19 particularly comfortable to sit in. The Eclipse looks as if Com-Pac has done a better job with the quarter births in terms of a place to sit or just escape from the sun when necessary. In photographs the cabin interior of the Eclipse doesn't look quite as nice as that of the CP19, however photographs aren't always good for judging these things. (I had a CP16 that looked far better than one could ever have guessed from the photos.) Finally, how do you like the open transom? It seems to me that it would be great when the weather is warm, but I have concerns about all that open space when the wind picks up on a brisk Fall day. Your thoughts would be appreciated.   Thanks, David."

MY wife and I sailed "Defiant," our 1985 CP-19 II down the Keys, around Pine Island Sound, in several inland lakes, and once hauled her across the Rockies to sail off of the Olympic Peninsula. That was 20 years ago, and I've always regretted selling her.

Last month we purchased "Luna-Sea," a 2005 Eclipse, from her second owner down in Harlingen, Texas, and brought her home to central Arkansas. So far we've sailed her twice, in Lake Maumelle, a scenic but not very large reservoir just west of Little Rock. I'm writing this from a motel room in Vicksburg, Mississippi. We're on our way to Florida for a few weeks of shakedown and fitting-out, probably starting with a mini-cruise up the St. John's River.

First impressions of the Eclipse:

Hutchins has done well with its improvements to the boat. It looks to me like the basic hull shape is similar, with an added forefoot and a sharp entry to ease the pounding from head seas. The open transom makes entry and exit easier, from the dock, from the water or from the driveway. It also simplifies operating the outboard and raising/lowering the rudder. Some people look at it and think how easily a following sea might come aboard. I look at it and think how quickly unwanted water in the cockpit will find its way out. The days we sailed were chilly, with plenty of wind. Not a drop of water came over the stern and the openness didn't cause any anxiety. In fact, one may find that his or her relationship to the water is improved with this setup. With more time aboard I'll be able to comment on the open transom more intelligently.

We love the arch. It controls the boom when the halyard is slack and when trailering. It mounts a traveler for the main. It's a strong aft support for the bimini and a great handhold. I'll probably hang an LED cockpit light on it at some point, along with my handheld GPS, and design a boom tent around it.

The roller furling jib is a blessing. The less I have to go forward the better I like it. Of course, there's no reason one can't add furling to a CP-19, either, and many have. The cabin extends almost to the rail on each side, so there's no side deck for your feet going forward. That's okay with me, but some may not like it. The benefit is realized down below, where seating is comfortable and the cabin is more spacious and airy. The ports are larger - more air and light inside.

From six hours of sailing so far, in winds varying from 6 knots to 20+gusts, I think the Eclipse is more stable and better balanced. I can't comment yet on the relative benefit of the centerboard. Need more time beating to windward to see how well it works. It should help, but until one knows a boat pretty well it's hard to tell whether it's rigged just right, and I'm hoping to get a better feel for that in the next couple of weeks.

Hutchins has nailed the trailering aspect with the dropped axle, low profile tires and shallower draft. We should have a wider selection of ramps available, providing access to many new bodies of water. We've towed now a total of 450 miles, behind a Honda Odyssey, and I can report that the towing experience is improved over our former CP-19 trailing behind a full-sized Dodge van.

The Mastender is great. Raising and lowering with gin pole and boom vang gives much more control and goes quickly. We haven't had much practice yet with setup and takedown, but I my initial impression is that it's going to be better.

I have nothing but praise for the design and construction quality of every Com-Pac I've ever seen, the CP-19 and the Eclipse included. The 19 is a great boat and I'd love to have one again. The Eclipse appears to be an improvement for the way we plan to use the boat, sailing from here to there and having fun along the way.

Enough already. I'll report more when we get more nautical miles under our belts.

Napier6

David-V,
I have not owned a 19, but I was concerned about the open transom on the Eclipse.  It is really no problem at all.  My first few blustery days in 2005 I put the hatch boards in and felt better.  After sailing her since March of 2005 I haven't put in the hatch boards on a high wind day.  I have had following seas and powerboat chop wash over the back foot or so of the cockpit sole.  I did lose a flip-flop once but I seem to drop most of the stuff ($$$ prescription sunglasses) over the side.  In the summer I have docksiders on and in the winter I put on a pair of Gil rubber short boots in case of splashing, but they aren't really needed.  However my boots are cold so I had to break out the NZ "possum" socks last weekend.  Almost toasty, but I think one more layer will do it.  I think the open transom is one of the reasons why my family even comes out to the boat.  Five minutes of sailing then "can we swim now," or " are we heading to a beach?"  The ladder can be backed up in several feet of water off a beach and you don't even get your shorts wet.  Basically the kids think of the boat as a glorified swim platform, so I get in the time I can.  The 14 year old could care less, the 11  year old will still go sailing if I don't overdo it.   Also, I did a forward hatch replacement last month (broke the glass) and walking up the stepstool and boarding ladder was a cinch.

I like the Mastender  System, but don't use it as much as I would like and forgot to cleat off the halyard (on the left of the mast) in 2006 and learned the hard way that a falling aluminum mast will flex a great deal as it hits the bimini arch.  That being said I ducked and was fine and haven't forgotten ever again!  You can also walk the mast up on a calm day with the pivot pins in place.
I like the arch. If I could add 3 or 4 inches to the bimini arch I would.  I bought the bimini with the boat and my wife said that and the cushions are the best accessories.  I'm 6'2" and it knocks my hat off from time to time.  We do hang a Mega Light off the arch or boom and it works well.
I sleep aboard at least four times a year give or take and the quarter berths are good with a sleeping bag and a pillow.  I have tried with and without the bunk boards.  I use the boards.  My bunk boards were a ΒΌ" too long and I shaved them down.  I painted the raw plywood with CPE and an interior/exterior light grey paint.  The boat is cramped down below with me and two girls, but it works for three.  My wife does not overnight with us.  The one drawback with the bunk board system is that it blocks the port-a-pottie.  Not a problem if you take care of that first or can go off the back (another benefit of an open transom) but could be an issue.      
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

Glenn Basore

Red Planet and others,

I own an Eclipse and really like the boat, i find it well built, stylish and sails well for my needs.

As to the mast tender which I have used, please read my post "safe way to step mast "under the Eclipse heading.

wordnut

Napier6, thanks for the pictures.  You seldom find pictures of people inside these boats. It gives an accurate sense of scale that we just can't get looking at the factory shots. When I get back into a boat again, it will probably be on a lake where there often is little wind in the summer, so either you sweat or swim. Your boat is great for such an environment.