Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

heave to

Started by flipper2013, December 03, 2009, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

I'd like to add three points:

Once the boat has completed the tack with the jib cleated to windward, luff the main and keep the boat in the new tack course until its speed is reduced to 1-2 knots, then move the tiller to leeward.

Also, if possible, always heave to in a starboard tack, because while hove-to the boat is still underway and the crossing rules in the ColRegs still apply. While hove-to in a port tack any sailboat approaching on a starboard tack (or on a port tack from downwind) will insist in being the stand-on vessel and you'll have to give way. It may also happen while hove-to to starboard if a sailboat reaching in a starboard tack approaches from downwind (it happened to me twice) but this is a more rare occasion.

To resume sailing from a hove-to position three things need to happen more or less at the same time: tack the jib, center the tiller and bring the main in. You'll most likely be in a beam-reach.

PS.- I now have a SunCat and the ability to heave-to in this dynamic manner is what I miss the most...

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Potcake boy

I have always kept the main sail sheeted to centerline when hove to - no scalloping or forward progress - more steadying action and less luffing.  To get under way again I simply bring the tiller up to centerline and then wear around (a jibe tack if you will), minimum fuss and you end up on your original tack.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Joseph

The position of the main while hove-to varies with the hull design, the desired angle to the wind and waves, the wind strength and how much forward speed is acceptable. On light fin-keeled boats (i.e., the Sonnar 23) a sheeted-in main causes the boat to continue to sail forward. With sailboats with a full keel (i.e., most Alberg designs) and in strong winds, the main needs to be luffed to avoid excessive heeling to leeward.  Since most smaller Com-Pac's are shoal-keeled none of these extremes may be required with these boats, as appropriately pointed out by Potcake boy.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365