Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Test sail

Started by CaptRon28, November 24, 2009, 01:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

Hi -

I'm a new member who is seriously interested in buying a Horizon Cat. Almost did it 2 years ago but wound up buying a new Telstar 28 instead. Love the Telstar but my wife is getting tired of trailering it between Florida and NJ. So I want to leave the trimaran in Florida and get a trailer sailer for NJ. Leave it on my driveway and sail whenever or wherever I want to. The Telstar takes about 75 minutes for 1 person to launch and rig, so it's not the best choice for that role. The Horizon has got to be the easiest 20 foot sail boat to launch and rig - maybe 5 minutes? I'm interested in a good used one - either diesel or outboard, but would probably order the outboard if I have to buy new.

Anyway, I'd love to take a test sail on a Horizon in southwest Florida. The 3 dealers in the area don't seem to have any and might not do a test sail even if they did. I'm in Punta Gorda and would drive a few miles to do it. Would also be very willing to trade the Horizon test sail for a ride on my Telstar. Pick a good day and we can get it up to 16+ knots. Thanks for any help.

Ron Marcuse
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Potcake boy

Ron,

I live in Harbour Heights, and there used to be one here on the river kept on a lift.  Haven't noticed recently if it is still there.  Have you considered a SunCat?  Have sailed on a friend's and find it a very good trailer boat, not too big to handle on and off the trailer, and the Mastender makes the process a snap.  Haven't sailed a HorizonCat, though I examined one at the factory a few years back.  I agree with the outboard, and if I recall correctly Hutchins at the time said they could do a tiller version.  The steering is a standard coax rack and pinion system so you can get replacement parts if needed at any mariine supply place.  Judging from the number of used Horizon Cats on the market, I'm thinkin' that the owners weren't real happy with the performance and it's not really big enough for extended cruising so that makes the SunCat look pretty attractive.

I also considered a T28 and did a demo at Annapolis boat show, but looks like it will be a Corsair 27 in my future.  In fact I am going to the St. Pete boat show next week to demo a 31.  The 31 UC would be my choice if I had a wealthy Santa and had been a good boy.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

CaptRon28

Ron  (nice name)

I'm not really a small boat person. I love Lasers, Sunfish and Hobies (etc.) for a 2 hour sail in warm clear water, but I'm more comfortable on something much larger. The 28 foot Telstar is the smallest sailboat I ever considered buying. Bought it because I had something a lot larger and I wouldn't have even tried to get it into Ponce Inlet. Boat was about 6 feet down and 62 up. The Catalina 400 had to go and it was replaced by the Telstar. 42 feet up and about 1 foot down, with the board and rudder up. Better match for SW Florida. I loved the Catalina but I'm surprisingly VERY happy on the Telstar. Not sure if I'd even want the 400 back. The 17 foot Sun Cat is probably under what my lower limit is. Might be a great boat, but I don't think I'd be happy with it. The Horizon's enclosed head is a spousal requirement as well.

One of the reasons why I want to test sail a Horizon is to find out if 20 feet is too small. It's sailing ability is critical too. Never really counted bunks, heads, sinks and storage closets  - what matters to me most is how well it sails. I don't expect to see the pefrormance of a 28 foot trimaran or big monohull, but it has to be able to sail fairly well for what it is - a 20 foot gaf rigged cat boat.

Give me a holler if you want to go out on the Telstar. It's a lot of fun out there in the harbor as long as there's 5 knots of wind or better. Boat does 5 knots in 5 knots. And about 16 in 20.

Ron M.
Ron Marcuse

Bob23

Ron:
   Where is your NJ home port? I'm in southern Ocean County and sail a 1985 23/2 "Koinonia"
Bob23

CaptRon28

I had the Telstar in Toms River (Barnegat Bay) for the last 2 summers. I wasn't planning on bringing it back to NJ. Want to leave a Horizon (or similar) on my driveway instead, and then sail it off of the trailer whenever and wherever I want. Barnegat Bay is on the shallow side, even for a trimaran or a 20 foot cat boat. You can walk across much of it. If the Telstar makes it back next summer, then I may leave in somewhere on Raritan Bay instead. More water, much larger sailing area.

Besides having to sail reasonably well, main requirement of NJ boat is a 5 minute launch, rig, and retrieve.
Ron Marcuse

Glenn Basore

Ron,

Have you thought about the Com Pac Eclipse 21 ?

Easy to tow and launch.

only 18 inches of schoal keel when center board is up, 5 foot when down.  a porta pottie, camping stove and sink.

Displacement is 2200 lbs and 200 sg feet of sales

Glenn B.

CaptRon28

I expect to keep the boat on my NJ driveway, so my goal is to get into the water and be sailing in around 5 minutes or less (after I get to a launch ramp). The Horizons gaf rigged single sail will do that. No jib to set up with or without a roller drum. Back it into the water, park the truck and trailer, raise the mast and pin it, remove the sail cover, raise the boom above the hinge and lock it, raise the gaf and sail, go sailing. Do the opposite to retrieve it. I have never seen or heard of any 20 footer which would be easier and faster to launch or retrieve. Please correct me if I'm wrong. There is also the fact that cat boats look damn good out on the water, and are probably the easiest things to single-hand.
Ron Marcuse

kobo

CaptRon,

I live on the Gulf Coast on Mobile Bay. I have sailed professionaly for years. I now sail for pleasure. I have owned several sail and power boats. My sail boats were always kept in a slip and to be hauled out at a boatyard. Thsi past April I purchased a Horizon Cat. I bought this boat for several reasons. One of the main ones is that in this area we tend to have a few hurricanes and tropical storms. (katirna flooded my home) I was tried of having to worry about my home and my boat in a slip every time a storm approached. I can't move my home but I sure wanted to be able to move my boat. Thus I bought the Horizon Cat. I could not be happier. The boat is a snap to launch and reterive. The mast tender seystem is great. I keep my boat in a slip. However now when a storm comes or I just want to go sail another location I simply put her on the trailer and move on. Now to the best part. This boat is the eaisest to sai boat I have ever owned. She is quite easy to single hand and she is very seaworthy and comfortable. Plenty of cockpit room and the cabin area and amenities are quite comfortable. I purchaed mine with the diesel inboard. I really like having the inboard engine. It has a lot of power and will go over 200 miles on 7 gallons of fuel. Plus it gives the boat a lot more stability. You are also absolutely right. These boats do look "Damn Good" on the water under power or sail. I can't tell you how many compliments I get every time I take her out. If you would like further info or just want to chat about my experiences with this wonderful boat you can e-mail me.
Kobo (aka Capt Mike)

CaptRon28

Thanks Mike. I've always liked the looks of the Horizon and it looks like it will sail decently for what it is - a 20 foot cat boat. The centerboard and rudder look a lot better than what more  traditionally built cat boats have. I just have a slight problem buying any sailboat without trying it or a sistership out. Probably too many years of hearing others describing what they have. There is good and there is GOOD (and unfortunately, there is also bad).

My goal is to get something that I can leave on my driveway in NJ and sail whenever and wherever I want. Easy in, easy out. Leave the Telstar down in Florida - no more trailering it back and forth.

I got an offer to take a test sail on a Sun cat. A little smaller than I'd like, but the price would be a lot lower.

Ron Marcuse

kickingbug1

i own a cp16 and after seeing the video of a horizon cat being rigged and launched i have decided that if i move up in the world it would be to a horizon, they have gobs of room both in the cockpit and cabin and with the wide beam look to be extremely stable. for now i sail "out of my garage" but who knows what the future might bring. wish someone nearby had one that i could sail on.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

CaptRon28

Quote from: kickingbug1 on December 12, 2009, 10:31:37 AM
   i own a cp16 and after seeing the video of a horizon cat being rigged and launched

One of the Hutchins Bros (think it was Gerry, could be wrong) let me raise the mast and sail at one of the boat shows around 2 or 3 years ago. If pressed for time and with some practice. I think I could do it in less than 1 minute. I've never seen any other sailboat (other ComPac cats excluded) that's even in the same league. The really big advantage is that the single sail can be left on the boom and covered, with the boom and gaf sitting in their slots. Just lower the stick and your're done. Almost magic.

Ron M
Telstar 28, looking for an Horizon
Ron Marcuse

kobo

Ron,

Capt Mike here. I know you would like to sail on a Horizon Cat when you can take your time for a good evaluation. If you will ever be in the area of the Alabama Gulf Coast please let me know and I will glad for you to sail on my Horizon Cat "Deja Blue". I keep her in a slip @ Mobile Yacht club. Whcih means we can be sailing in Mobile bay five minutes from leaving the dock. Let me know if you head this way.