a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eye splices on double braid

Started by brackish, November 24, 2009, 08:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

In the spirit of being retired (much more time than money) I've decided to build my own Vang for my 23 rather than buy one that is already made up.  To that end I ordered various fiddle blocks, bails and hardware.  Now I need to think about finally learning to do a double braid eyesplice so I can splice the line onto the block becket.  Is it as complicated as it looks on some of the online instructions?

My plan is to get a fid and pusher and forge ahead.  Noticed on the Sailrite site several devices, one rather expensive, the other a splicing snake, less than a fid and pusher.  Anyone have experience with these?

Frank 2

ontarioSuncat

I use the new england rope web page instructions. The fid you need is rather cheap, about 4$. Get two for 1/4 inch line and 3/8 line. After that you will need some electrical tape and a sharpe pen to mark the line. It will take at least one practice to get it right. It looks hard and does not make sense untill you make the final move and it all comes together. You also should look at the end spice the have as it makes the bitter end of the line look real good. Better that burning the line. You must practice but it has to be on new line. Used line is difficult or impossible as the fibers are too set.
All the best.

kchunk

I spliced 3-strand nylon once. That wasn't too bad, and I'd do it again. I remember looking at instructions for double braided splices and figuring it was worth it just pay someone to do it. Good luck to you...I don't have the patience.

--Greg

edbuchanan

Hi Frank,

I have been splicing braid-on-braid and 3-strand for years.  I bought the full kit of fids for 3/16 through 1/2 inch, and yes it seemed expensive at the time.  The only fid I never used was the 1/2 inch.  I keep the set on the boat during the summer for repair work.  My favorite instructions are in the back pages of an old copy of "The Marlinspike Sailor".

My first splice took forever (two to three hours?) to make, but now I make them fairly quickly after a bit of a refresher.  I'm sure the kit has saved money and aggravation, besides, I enjoy it as a good winter sport.  So far I have made 2 complete sets of halyards, a main sheet, a boom vang, and a very nice towing bridle for the dinghy, as well as many other smaller lines just to make the boat look pretty.

Ernie (Molly 23/II, 1984)

SailMML

Another resource is this one:

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/eye_splice.html

I am planning on learning this over the winter.

Norm

Salty19

I must not be a "real" sailor as I simply don't have the patience to learn or execute splicing.  Maybe one of these days?

Had New England ropes "Salsa" style  5/16" (single braid) mainsheet spliced to the becket by West Marine.  Took it into the store, $15 and a week later, all done.  Looks perfect! Seems cheap considering they had to ship it to get spliced.  Will probably go this route in the future. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

ontarioSuncat

It is so easy to do! Get some line and practice a few. Then you can charge $15 dollars each for a spice that takes about 15 min. to do. It only works on new line. Once the line is used for more than a month it is real hard to get the splice looking good.

brackish

Salty, I learned this winter.  First couple were kind of tough, but then I got the hang of it.  the last one I did took about fifteen minutes to do.  This U-tube helped me a lot and there are many more online.  I found that the New England Rope instruction was better than the Sampson, although they both tell you to do the same thing.

Of course, it's been a couple of months, I'll probably have to relearn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQn5ZMKgNI&feature=related

newt

I like splicing and seizing line. It makes my yacht feel more like my own. I won't go back to having someone else make my halyards now- just wouldn't be salty :)
Just one more thing I can do while sailing from point A to point B.

bmiller

I got a splicing wand from Brion Toss, it works great. But after watching that video I should have just got some fids and practiced, practiced, practiced. He's done that before a time or two I'm thinking.

LConrad

I have good luck just using a piece of wire. Get about two feet of #18 +- steel or stainless wire. Fold it in half. Take the two ends, twist and form into a loop you can put a finger or two through. The folded (other) end will hold the rope as you pull it through. A little fancier version would add a piece of metal tubing from the hardware store. Push the folded wire thrugh the tubing to make a loop similar to the professional version.

pbrenton

Its not that hard, makes you feel salty.

Tips; repeated from others in some cases;
1. Use new line.  Older line is really hard to splice
2. Tape the line to the end of the fid *securely*.  It also helped to have a sharp cutting tool (I use a wire cutter).
3. Patience.  3 hours sounds about right for the first try (for me, unsuccessfully, with really old rope I was using for "practice").

If you're retarded...I mean retired, then you have the time, but might not have the patience.  I would find splicing to a specific size a bit tougher, but doable after doing a few big ones first.  Its something to do whilst watching a movie or ball game on a rainy day, tools and instructions on your lap, working it during the commercials or slow parts. 

By the way, don't let the cats get to the half-finished product, and test the splice hard before relying on it (although I never had one I made fail, even the one that did not come out very pretty).
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA