a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

whisker pole.

Started by kickingbug1, November 05, 2009, 01:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

well every year i learn something new about sailing (you never stop learning). this year i tried the whisker pole that was in my boat when i bought it. i have to say that it makes sailing down wind a breeze (pun intended). its a little tricky when singlehanded but when my crew is with me it works perfectly, i have only used it on the little 110 jib but it does a great job of holding that bugger out there for a perfect wing and wing trim. if anyone hasnt tried a whisker pole, take it from me they work. shame they are a little on the pricey side. something a good cp sailor could make i expect.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig Weis

I have a very long bamboo fishing pole cut down to about 7 foot, keeping the thickest part.
Pound for pound it is the strongest grass grown and will flex but not break.
Just drill clean through each end tie it onto the sail and around the mast's eye, or what ever you have that something can be tied to.
Doesn't take much to hold my lapper out there. A lot of trouble to get it set-up though.
skip.

nies

kicikingbug1, A WHISKER POLE IS THE ONLY WAY TO SAIL DOWN WIND, TRYING TO KEEP SAILS BALANCED WITHOUT ONE IS NOT A EASY TASK.........PHIL

Deb

Coincidence???
Today I was returning to the ramp Wing on Wing all the way down the lake leaning way out over the side keeping the jib as far out as possible.  Was a beautiful yet pretty funny sight!  Going along I was thinking I needed a whisker pole.  Well, I grow lots of 30 plus foot bamboo so y'all have given me a great idea.  Anymore home made ideas appreciated.
Now I have to add the story of the day....I always do much better when I sail solo, you know not forgetting anything....the crew(hubby) can be a bit of a....ok, well,....Nice winds, the bluest of skies and warmth.  The dogs are on the boat, the man is on the boat and off I shove and jump on...for some reason I look back at the (haunted) dock and there is one of my dogs!!!!  I yell," Sit and Stay" as I'm already a good 5 feet away and the man on the boat yells, "Come".   I shout to the man crew" You Sit and Hush"!
The main is up so I have to lower her and motor back as I'm quickly being pulled out.  My dog stayed and my man stayed....Life is Good!
Deb
P.S. Come get all the bamboo you want.

Bob23

I like my whisker pole and would like to add a boom preventer also if I can make one up on the cheap...you know, from what I have lying around. Doesn't need to be high-falutin' or nothing just a length of line coming from a stanchion base. It's nice to keep the main in place, just like it's nice to pole out the jib.
   Deb:
    Who obeyed the fastest? man or dog? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.
Bob23

Deb

Was a tie!  They are both winners and keepers!
Deb

KPL

I've been using a telescoping paint roller-handle for a whisker pole on my CP16.  It's a twist lock that goes from about 5ft to about 8.5.  For now I just stick the threaded end (that would attach to the roller) in to the grommet on the sail, and the other end has a broom-type loop for hanging on the wall.  That end is just tied around the base of the mast with a piece of line.  This winter I will see if I can't rig a proper hook on both ends and put a small eye on the mast....

I think the twist lock handle was less then $10.  3/4" diameter.

It's good for light to moderate winds, although I think it would get damaged in anything over 12 knots or so.  Of course, if you've got that kind of wind, you really don't need all that area out there anyway.

Kevin

fafnir

I made my whisker pole out of a west marine adjustable boat hook.  I really like this one as it has multiple extensions so it folds down really small.  I was able to pick up the appropriate clip to attach the whisker pole to a loop on the mast and a pointy end on the other side to go through the grommet on the jib.  I have found this to be one of the better items in my rigging inventory.

kickingbug1

i might be wrong but i read that you dont attach the clip on the sail but on the active jib sheet. this is how i did it on mine. i first clipped it on then extended the pole. whatever it worked great
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Surfrdie

My friend has a Catalina 22 and he made his whisker pole out of a pool pole, used to skim the pool. It is telescoping and works great.