a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

moving from a com-pac 19 to a com-pac27

Started by madhatter, January 12, 2005, 11:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhatter

I have been sailing a 19 for five years and thinking of moving up to a 27 the 27 is a '94 are there any problems I should know about that boat? What is a fair price for a '94 com-pac 27? What is a fair price for my 19 com-pac? Is the 27 hard to dock and sail single hand? Rich

spaul

Madhatter I moved up to a '92 , 27/2 just a year ago. It's a great boat and you'll love it. There is a little more freeboard and during docking the wind can be bothersome but I'm not having any trouble getting into a very difficult slip. In fact my wife can bring her in now as long as I'm standing there giving her comfort and support. She's just a little nervous is all.
On my boat the only problem I have is a right walking prop. I need a left walking prop to dock easier but I've developed a system that works.
I spoke with Gerry Hutchins about the 27's and his reply was he had no knowledge of any long term problems. The boat core is microballoons so you have nothing to worry about there. I'd say have a survey done, that's what I did and it was worth it.
Check the rigging if it's been is salt water, heck check it anyway. Other than that, check the prop bearing. No matter what boat, these things are only good for 5-10 years. Mine was in bad need of replacement. I can't emphasize the survey too much. Turns out my Yanmar needed a head job and some topside work. Suspect the head needs a kit too but true on any boat.
Let us know. We'd love to hear more.
Steve Paul
cp27/2
"IM PAUL SIVE"
Nashville, IN

spaul

Madhatter, I didn't answer your question on price. Be aware a new 27 will cost you $ 80,000 for the boat. Extras are extra and Hutchins only builds them on request now.
I paid under 30 for mine and know I can get 35 + if willing to sell. Aren't many for sale as you know.
Check for blisters, is this a salt water boat? Is it a Florida boat where it got more sun? Has it been painted? Not all bad but why paint it unless it needed cleaning up for sale? Suspect everyone and have a survey by a competent surveyor. I spent 800 bucks and got it back many times with an engine overhaul new prop shaft, etc.
A '94 in pristine condition might be worth 35-40K$ I suspect. You guys let us know if I'm high.
I single hand mine all the time, no problem. I do have autopilot which helps there. With all lines brought back to the cockpit and roller furlting, why not?
Good luck
Steve

madhatter

Thank you steve, I was plan to get a survey, the boat is in salt water their asking $36,500 for the '94 the hull top side has not been painted and the bottom I did not see any blistering. the boat is from northen waters not too much fading, the teak needs work, not that bad. I'm have sailed my com-pac 19 for five years the flat bottem the boat sail very flat but takes a pounding going to weather how will the 27 sail? Rich

spaul

better than you can imagine. She'll cut thrught the water like a dolphin, heel just enough to excite you and you'll feel like the master of your ship.
This is a different boat altogether than what you've been sailing. You'll love it man. Sounds good. Work em on the price if you can, always like a deal. If it does't have epoxy bottom coat I recommend it someday when she's on the hard. It was the cutlass bearing I was talking about. They just wear out, if she's out of the water have it checked.
Steve

spaul

Go to the cp19 section and ask your 19' pricing question there. The guys there are real sharp and experts will answer your question in good form.
Steve

spaul

Hey Rich, here's a web site for you and others that may not know of it.

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menunew.tpl?fno=451&uid=F

By the way, the 27 is a little heavy in light winds, you'll be unhappy there compared to your 19 but the whole experience of this change will thrill you anyway. That's my experience. I went from a Dunphy Condor 19, to a Southcoast 22, to a MacGregor 26S to the CP 27/2. I did sail a Catalina 30 several times as well. While I like the Cat 30 I still prefer the 27/2. I had a trailer built for it and haul it in and out of the water by myself and one helper. Can't do that with a Catalina 30.
Good luck
Steve

Roger Schwake

We bought  a CP27 three years ago and have been very happy with it. A good solid boat with everything we could ask for from a 27 foot boat. Two years ago I installed a Simrad WP10 auto pilot. Very easy to install, fits on the pedistal with no problems. Conect the power and you ready to go sailing. Would not ownen a boat with out one again. Great for sailing single handed, it gives you time to do all those little jobs and not worry about the boat heading.

spaul

The Autohelm 4000 depth, speed, temp and autopilot came installed on our cp27. It actually works quite well, I agree I'd not do without it again. It gives you that little rest if you need it, especially when singlehanding.
Steve

madhatter

Thank you with your help with the '27. I saw  her the other day for two hours by myself, and  I think I'm in love the cabin is great. and hearing how she sails I think gave me goose bumps. the boat over all is in good shape but you can tell she has not been kept in bristol shape but with some TLC she should be as good as new. This should lower the price. The boat is loaded has the following 18 hp westerbeke ,hot water showers ,CDI roller furling don't know if that a good one? my '19 has a harken 0 rolling furling I was wondering if I could get a longer tube and use that one? Autohelm 4000, bimini top. Rich

spaul

Sounds like a fun time for you. I have the CDI on my 26S Macgregor. The Harken on my 27 is new as the ProFurl was damaged in the tornado. I'd switch em if I were you. Could be slight headstay length changes but easy past that. Seems you can order additional tubes from Harken since they are stacked. I have one left over from my experience they send one too many in the standard package. They are just screwed and glued to each other.
Check the faucets (water mixers) they are plastic. Mine were all damaged to some extent from freezing. Bought new exact ones off the net. Go to RV sites for about 20 bucks, same ones at West Marine 45-75 bucks. The profurl came with these boats and only problem was the tube was one-piece and easily damaged. Shipping those cost a lot of dough.
Good luck
Steve

CaptK

Moving this down to the CP Sailors Lounge, since it's of general interest.
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Craig Weis

I don't think that a CDI roller furler is the best unit to install on a 27 foot 'anything'.
I can't trust the CDI to run trouble free and I am speaking only from working on and re-working on my buddies CDI furler found on his Com-Pac 19 [no bow sprit, early model].
On the other hand my Harken furler has been trouble free for the four seasons I have sailed with the Harken unit. :D skip