a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Towing with a Toyota Corolla???

Started by Mike H., September 20, 2009, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike H.

Hello All...   I've been towing my CP16 with an 02 Dodge Dakota (2WD) with no problems but my truck is reaching the end of the line and I'm searching for a new vehicle.  I'm considering a Toyota Corolla but am concerned it may be too small?  It is rated for 1500lbs towing but wondered if there is any real world  towing experience with this vehicle-boat combination...   I expect my towing to be once a week for only a few miles to the local ramp but want to explore waters an hour or two (or more?) away w/o worry of stressing out the vehicle or myself with worry.  Any thoughts??? 

As always, I appreciate the help...
Mike

nies

MIKE, I SPENT YEARS TOWING WITH CARS THAT WERE ARE AT THERE LIMIT OF TOWING CAP. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I COULDNT AFFORD MUCH. THE HOURS I SPENT WORRYING MADE THE TRIPS LIKE I WAS PULLING THE BOAT WITH MY BODY. BE SURE TO OVER MATCH VEHICLE TO THE TOW, YOU WONT BE SORRY....PHIL

NateD

I feel the same as Nies. You can get by using the Corolla, but if it were me I would be paranoid the entire drive which would detract from the overall sailing experience. I towed my CP16 a 150 miles with a smaller car, everything went fine, but I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. We bought a $1,200 Jeep Grand Cherokee this spring just to tow the boat with. Having a heavy vehicle with a full frame, 4x4, and four wheel disk brakes rated to tow 5,000 pounds helps to calm the nerves on the interstate (and the ramp). If I didn't have the Jeep, I would still tow with the small car (BMW 328), but my blood pressure would be significantly higher than it is now. I like knowing the truck and trailer will get me wherever I want to go on land, and the boat will get me wherever I want to go on the water.

don l

We pull ours with Silverado 1500, 2w.  Yes over kill, but...hey we are old and older.

Craig Weis

One can always go a bit more then the mf'g. suggests. It is amazing what something so small can pull.
I saw a photo on the net where a 1929 Ford Model "A" two door coupe and getting ready to get her wet. And that is only 40 hp at 2800 rpm max, and mechanical brakes, it was hooked up to a small centerboard sail boat about 18 foot with a cutty cabin and outboard motor hanging on the back, sitting on the 'put-in' ramp. So that might be about 1400 pounds with trailer. The car weighs about 2800 because she is stamped out of 19 ga. sheet steel. Well my 1930 roadster weighs that much. A coupe might weigh a bit more with the steel roof sections.
skip.

KPL

FWIW -
I used to tow my Holder 14 with my 93 honda civic 2 door.  I also used the civic to tow a 2000# uhaul from Kansas to NY, then turned around and drove back to Kansas to tow home the holder 14.  The car did great.  Yes, I had to plan my stops a little more carefully, and I didn't weave through rush hour traffic, but it did fine.  My mileage dropped from 45+ to about 35, but no big deal.  (Side note - I never did figure why my 93 civic got better mileage then the new hybrid civic.  On a trip to Florida with 3 other guys we averaged 48mpg at 70!).  I miss that car.....

I also drove a Hyundai Elantra that was rated for 3300#!!!! Amazing little car.

I think the key is to drive smart.  Just because you tow with a large vehicle, doesn't mean you can forget common sense.  I think you'll be fine with the Corolla.  Save your money for the boat!

I now tow with a RAV-4 V-6, which has gobs of power.  The only nice thing is I get the same mileage with or without the boat (about 26 on the highway).

Kevin

Potcake boy

Mike H.

I towed my 16 with a Mitsubishi product powered by a 1.5 ltr. 4 cyl. engine with manual transmission.  Short trips or long - never had any problem.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

kickingbug1

i have towed boats with many different vehicles and i have concluded the following. one rear drive is superior to front drive for two reasons. one it is stronger and less prone to failure. front drive cars of any make have much lighter duty hardware than even the smallest rear drive truck. two the tongue weight is tranfered to the drive wheels in a rear drive setup giving far better traction on the road. another thing i have learned is that an automatic transmission is far more reliable than a stick. newer 5 and six speeds use hydraulic actuated clutches. these are for the most part require less force to opperate but at a cost. because of their design they tend to slip normally. this makes for a smoother shift with less effort but it is hell on a boat ramp. i would suggest buying a small p/u with heavy duty cooling for both the engine and the transmission. a friend of mine who has been a mechanic for 30 years has always told me that if you stay within the limits of your vehicle you wont be sorry. try and make it do what it wasnt designed to do and you will pay in the end.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob Condon

Skip,

Not a good idea to exceed the mfg's recommendation. If you get in an accident, then your insurance company
will just say NO... for you and who you hit.

NateD has it right. Buy a 1998 Suburban for $2500 and be done with these "crazy thoughts" if you want to get a Corolla.
I own a Sienna, and the gas milage IS worse than the Corolla, but I tow my CP19, or Jet Ski or Utility trailer with 2200 pounds of shingles
without issue, so for an all around vehicle (or shall we say that I only need ONE general vehicle).. I also have a Honda S2000 and it won't haul anything...

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

sun17cat

About ten years ago I was towing a 8,200 lb. sailboat (28 ft, long) with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. rated for 6,500 lbs. It worked just fine even in some pretty hilly country. The mileage was really bad but everything else was OK. I would not reccommend this for everyone but I would say do not get to hung up on what the mfg. or others say and make your own decisions based upon your experience with your tow vehicle. I would not doubt what was said about insurance if you get into an accident.

Jim

Matt003

I towed my compac 16 across florida (from Cape Coral to Miami, 150 miles) with a car smaller then a corolla, a Scion XD to be exact. I also tow my 16 back and forth to the boat ramp which is over 20 miles away with no problem.  It is an automatic transmission. The only upgrade I have done to the car is add new rims and wider tires for more traction, but I am sure you would be fine with the stock tires. Even at the steepest boat ramp, the little FWD car had plenty of power to pull the boat up the ramp, no problems, no slipping. Stopping is not a problem at all either. Use the corolla, you will be fine. Also, I should add that my car is not rated to tow in the USA....

Oh, when I tow I keep the car out of overdrive, much more responsive.

Good Luck

Mike H.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts & opinions, on either side of the question...   I'm still not quite sure which vehicle I'm going to get but I do think, sensibly driven, the Corolla (Civic or Scion(?) will do what I'm looking to have done.  Matt, I'm very interested in your towing with a Scion as I was (and now may still be...;-) looking at a Scion XB (the square station wagon looking one). Took one for a test drive and LOVED IT!!!  To boot I didn't realize Scion is made by Toyota,  can't seem to go wrong with any Toyota product.  I started looking at the Corolla however after I couldn't find any towing documentation on the Scion.  I finally asked the salesman to check into it for me if he wanted me to buy the vehicle, in particular if any warranties would be voided by towing.  He called back later to report the service dept. did advise warranties will be voided for engine or transmission problems if it's obvious you've been towing.  I'd remove your towing assembly before turning car in for warranty work...   The funny thing is the Scion XB has a larger engine and more horsepower than the Corolla, the salesman said the XB model is built off the Camry platform.  Matt,  I'm curious, where did you get your tow hitch assembly for your Scion?  I may have to give that XB another look...

Thanks again everyone...
Mike

Craig Weis

Every morning going to work I pass a M-B Smart Car for what, 20k? going the other way. I have to fight the urge not to pull into it's lane for a head on at highway speed. I just want to smooch it!! Really. These people are not saving Al Gore's world. Not when each 80cc scooter polutes as much as 5 full sized SUV's for ever minute both are running. skip.

Matt003

Mike,

I have the scion XD, which is the smallest of the Scions. It has a very similar powerplant when compared with a Corolla, but with a smaller transmission I think. The funny thing is it says the scion XD isn't rated to tow, yet it has all the necessary holes pre-drilled from the factory to literally bolt on a tow hitch. All I had to do was put on 6 bolts and my tow hitch was on, no drilling. Now the Scion XB, if its the newer one, it will have no problem towing the 16. If i'm not mistaken it has a 2.4L engine when compared to my scions 1.8L engine and also bigger brakes.

I got my Tow hitch for the Scion online, just type into google "Scion XB Tow Hitch" and check out the results. For my XD it said "No Drill" hitch, so i'm guessing the XB should have the same. I know they make them because I have seen Scion XB's towing jet ski's and small boats all over Miami.

By the way, it should be noted that I get around 28 MPG while towing... Hope this helps you out!

Skip, I also hate smart cars. They are essentially useless....My small scion gets similar gas milage and I dont have to put premium gas in the tank, which actually makes my car more cost effective, not to mention I can fit 5 people in it and still tow a boat......

Craig Weis

I do not think that hp or transmixer is the problem as much as the brakes might be for the Scions.
We have a friend who drives one and they sped up to 94 mph going to Green Bay just for s & g's.
skip. For gas? Any swill will do?