a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Relocating Sail Control

Started by jamato323, September 07, 2009, 03:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamato323

My new Suncat (Hull #345) came with port and starboard main sheets running to two pad eyes on the stern's coaming. This was a change from the short traveler on the bridge deck I used to have in my Hull #35 and frankly which I liked as it also served as a Vang. The fiddle blocks and sheets are obstructed by the Bimini when not deployed the lee block also bangs against the back of the cockpit when depowered scratching the fiberglass. I want to change the system and to simplify it. I don't want a full  traveler system aft the cockpit as I don't see the need for the expense of it or the need to bring the boom up beyond the quarter of a cat boat even when reaching. What is your opinion of either installing a single pay eve in the middle of the stern deck beyond the cockpit coaming or a short (24") standard T-track on which is mounted a Genoa slide?
Would greatly appreciate learning from those of you who have made a change from either of these main sheet systems on your Sun Cats.
Thanks
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

Joseph

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

jamato323

I appreciate your reply. I've seen John's system and he has corresponded with me about it. However I'm thinking more simply, maybe even just a single pad eye in the middle of the aft coaming or deck. Know anyone whose done this? Thanks again.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"