a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Interpulate the hull number

Started by Craig Weis, September 05, 2009, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Weis

This was posted before the first site crashed but the information may have become stale and lost.
Many of the sailor know this, some don't care, and others may give her a look~see. skip wrote on the USPS SailAngle Blog this intro. Then cut and pasted it here on CPYOA.

"Welcome to the Com-Pac Yacht Owners Association Group.
Those who sail Com-Pac Yachts, world wide: Ever wounder about the Com-Pac hull numbers??
Lets start here.
Hutchins Boat Company builds the Com-Pac Yacht Boats.

Say the Boat Registration reads--> HUTC [make].
This particular boat has it's number molded in the upper starboard area of the transom and is...ABV00588B696.
ABV=Hutchins [Boat Manufacture code]
00588=the 588th hull built.
B=*September. The month boat was built.
6=Day in the month this boat hull was molded.
96=The year the hull was molded.

*A=Aug, B=Sept, C=Oct, D=Nov, E=Dec, F=Jan, G=Feb, H=March, I=April, J=May, k=June, L=July.

So HutchThe compac 19 XL is 20'-1" long with bow sprit included.

The XL means that a white fiberglass surround insert is fitted into the cabin and replaces the dark teak wood of the earlier hulls. No big deal. It does however make the cabin lighter and brighter inside. I like that.

Additional info on my Com-Pac 19 XL having 800 lb of cement ballast.
Race handycap: PHRF 275.
Standing rigging s.s. 5/32"
Jib sheet: 5/16" sta-set x 35 foot. [made new sheet 10 foot longer].
Jib halyard 5/16" sta-set x 56 foot.

Main sheet 5/16" sta-set x 51 foot.
Main halyard 5/16 sta-set x 56 foot.

Mast 4 3/4" x 2 1/4" oval.
Boom 2 3/4" x 1 3/4" oval.
Sail slots 1/4" x 3/4" deep. Need info for sail stops.
One sail stop for sail and one for boom.
[Drop the sail want the boom to stay, right?]

Safety line standshions 1" dia.
Bow and Stern pulpits 1" dia.

Jibs/Lappers 110% or 155% says on foot of Johnson sails.

So she was molded: my Com-Pac 19 XL sail boat on September 6th of 1996 on a Friday. It was the 588th C-P19 hull molded.
The last Com-Pac 19 made was hull #624 in 2002.
How cool is that!!"
skip

nies

SKIP, THANKS FOR THE INFO...........NIES.......OOPS MY  HULL  NUMBER DOESNT QUITE WORK, IN 1978 THEY MAY HAVE USED A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT CODE .....MY HULL NUMBER IS ABV00650M78G, POSSIBLE G FOR FEB AND M FOR MONDAY.......PROBABLY BAD LOGIC......SKIP YOU SEEM TO HAVE A GREAT  RANGE OF KNOWLEDGE.....THANKS AGAIN..NIES(SORRY FOR THE CAPS)

Joseph

Thank you Skip. But I am puzzled by the fact that the Hutchins' Hull ID Number (HIN) does not appear to include a design-specific code. Thus, albeit improbable, two boats of different design, molded on the same date and with the same hull number, could have the same HIN (?).  Isn't there a way within the HIN to identify the design among all those built by the Hutchins? Are different designs assigned different manufacturer code or could this be the use for the two positions occupied by zeros following the Hutchins' manufacturing code?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Craig Weis

Yes you guys hit it on the head. How to differ between a 14-16-19-23-25-27-35 and the Cats, when all the boat numbers seem to be alike.
I have no idea how a particular boat number would indicate a different boat model.
Several 16's and 19 and 23 and 27's are here in Sturgeon Bay. Maybe I should drive around or float up to the these boats for a look see.

Looking at the Com-Pac registration I see some early numbers not following this pattern. But few.
Looking at the 19's the numbers sequence from 001 to 624. No missing numbers.
The ABV is hutchins assigned code. That shouldn't change. But that HAS changed on some boats.
Hull number is just that. In the sequence.
Month day and year follows.
You have asked a $64,000 question. Anybody?
skip.

ronfmflorida

The info on this site has worked for me when I am checking boats for sale.

Boatsafe.com

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

Craig Weis

This [http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html] essentially is what I found as well, but still I'm not able to figure out to what number arrangement is assigned to what model hull.

Hutchins could have laid-up 1~19 and 1~16 and a Sun Cat all on the same day. That's three boats for talking purposes on September 7, 2001, or what ever.

Begs the question what numbers to what hull model, assuming the hull numbers for all models are sequential with no missing numbers. "Is I confussed or what"?

skip.

Craig Weis

motscg

Having recently purchased a new 17' Sun Cat, and knowing when it was built, I can probably shed some light on at least the HIN coding for the Sun Cats of recent vintage.  My boat was built in October of 2009 (took delivery in 2010).  The HIN is ABV17358J910.  The code breaks down as follows:

ABV - Hutchins Com-Pac manufacturer ID
17 - designation for the 17' Sun Cat
358 - hull number of this boat
J9 - Month/Year of build - "J" is the 10th letter of the alphabet = 10th month of the year = October; "9" = 2009
10 = Model Year - this is considered a 2010 model year boat (and is stated as such on my boat title) 

Spartan

1. Model - CP 16
2. Complete Hull # ABV06233M80J
3. Boat's current location : PIttsburgh, PA (Allison Park)
4. Sailing Condition yes/no? YES
5. Boat Name : ???
6. What year you bought it: Jan 2012
7. Options/features

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Saluki86

I emailed Hutchins about a C16 I am interested in.  This is what they told me regarding the HIN:

ABV - Company ID
01221 - Hull number.  1221st built
M80J - M stands for "MODEL".  "80" for 1980 MODEL YEAR. Built in the month of 'J', which back then = May.

The M was confusing me.