a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The mast is up!

Started by brackish, August 25, 2009, 02:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Eureka! The mast is up as of ten minutes ago.  I did it by my self using a derivation of the solo mast raising system that Tom Ray did the article on:  http://www.tropicalboating.com/sailing/mastraising.html

Not all went well initially.  I made my version of the extendable crutch and it didn't work, way too unstable.  After fooling with it for a while I decided to see if it would just start up from the stern rail.  Smooth as glass.  One adjustment of the baby stays, they were a little too tight, one stop to clear the back stay of the motor mount and I'm done.  The line to keep the furler from bouncing on the deck worked great.  The brake winch worked flawlessly, you can winch in either direction and it brakes automatically by the weight of the load.

With everything properly adjusted, I think I can set it up and raise the mast in twenty minutes or so.

Steve Ullrich

Congratulations on bringing her up successfully. Did you bring her down as well?  I found that bringing down a heavy mast was more interesting... Be careful!

Quote from: brackish on August 25, 2009, 02:31:49 PM
Eureka! The mast is up as of ten minutes ago.  I did it by my self using a derivation of the solo mast raising system that Tom Ray did the article on:  http://www.tropicalboating.com/sailing/mastraising.html

Not all went well initially.  I made my version of the extendable crutch and it didn't work, way too unstable.  After fooling with it for a while I decided to see if it would just start up from the stern rail.  Smooth as glass.  One adjustment of the baby stays, they were a little too tight, one stop to clear the back stay of the motor mount and I'm done.  The line to keep the furler from bouncing on the deck worked great.  The brake winch worked flawlessly, you can winch in either direction and it brakes automatically by the weight of the load.

With everything properly adjusted, I think I can set it up and raise the mast in twenty minutes or so.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

brackish

Steve, David thanks for the encouragement.

Steve I brought it down today, once again, by myself.  Came down as easily as it went up.  That system is slick.  I think it is easier to use with one person than the trailer mounted system that came with the boat is for two people.  Having well adjusted baby stays is key.  If the mast stays laterally stable it will go down easily.  Everything on the baby stays and the gin pole is set up so that it just snaps on with spring clips and snap shackles.  The only thing I had to add permanently to the boat is a bail on the mast.

Where I have a ways to go is in organizing everything once the mast is down and forward in the towing position.  I'm not where I want to be but expect I'll try to perfect that over the winter.  As for now, I've got it packed well enough to head for the marina tomorrow and launch.

Frank

Steve Ullrich

Well done Frank. Stay safe, enjoy your boat!

Quote from: brackish on August 27, 2009, 05:55:11 PM
Steve, David thanks for the encouragement.

Steve I brought it down today, once again, by myself.  Came down as easily as it went up.  That system is slick.  I think it is easier to use with one person than the trailer mounted system that came with the boat is for two people.  Having well adjusted baby stays is key.  If the mast stays laterally stable it will go down easily.  Everything on the baby stays and the gin pole is set up so that it just snaps on with spring clips and snap shackles.  The only thing I had to add permanently to the boat is a bail on the mast.

Where I have a ways to go is in organizing everything once the mast is down and forward in the towing position.  I'm not where I want to be but expect I'll try to perfect that over the winter.  As for now, I've got it packed well enough to head for the marina tomorrow and launch.

Frank
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Chuck

Hi, I am also having trouble raising the mast, lowering, I kon't know yet but will soon.  Do you have drawings or pictures of how you made your system?  What shape are the brackets, what winch did you use etc.  Help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Chuck

brackish

Chuck,

Will send pictures and a list of components and description by email.  Would post here, but I think the photo section of the site is still down.  You have a high speed connection, broadband or high speed DSL?

Frank

HideAway

There are several movies on Utube about raising the mast.   Just search mast raising.   I'm building the system the guy on the 25 Catalina uses to lower his mast to get under a bridge.  Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/