a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gas Tank

Started by brackish, July 18, 2009, 06:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

I've researched all the poly material gas tanks and the only 6 gallon I can find that "might" fit the designated area is the Dura-tank by Bombardier.  Anyone have this tank or have another six gallon poly that fits.

I'd actually prefer two three's but I think it would be wishful thinking to get them in the slot.

Thanks

edbuchanan

Hi,

I recently replaced my old tank with a new Dura-Tank, and I discovered the same thing:  the Bombardier is the only one manufactured that fits at present.  The old one (also a "Johnson") was slightly better in that it had a manual tank vent.  The new vent is automatic, working like a check valve and preventing the tank from breathing in moist air if you forget to close it, thus preventing dreaded ethyl-alcohol water absorption problems.  But the annoying bit is that it can build pressure, so when you connect the hose to the outboard you will get a spray of gasoline unless you manually relieve pressure by unscrewing the filler cap slightly.  So much for the automatic feature.  At least you can't forget to open the vent and eventually starve the engine for gas.  The new cap has a different thread from the old so that you can't just screw on the old cap.  The old tank was replaced because the hose fitting cracked after 13 years of perfect service.  The jury is still out on the new as the gauge screws were loose and it was leaking gasoline until tightened.

Ernie (Molly 23/II, 1984)

P.S. The three of us just returned from a 2 week adventure in the Chesapeake...

brackish

Would like to see pictures.  Two three's best choice.  most of the time would just have one aboard, but for longer extended cruises when fuel might not be readily available, the second tank.  Also easier to get the lighter tanks aboard.  What tanks are you using?

I think I might be able to get a couple of threes side by side lengthwise, but would require extending the cover (new cover, move the guides forward).  Cover can only be extended a few inches before it would interfere with the cockpit seat hatches.

Frank

mike gartland

I replaced my original metal 6 gal with a new 3 gal Tohatsu poly tank a couple of years ago for two main reasons;  1: I needed additional space to add a fuel/water separator filter in the fuel line to trap ethanol-related water in the fuel system; it had been giving me motor problems; 2: it is easier to keep the ethanol mix (E10) fresher now that I need to refill the smaller 3 gal tank more frequently.  I believe that this has also contributed to a much more reliable motor since making the changes.  Finally, I wanted to make sure that all of the components...tank, fuel line and pressure bulb...all were ethanol tolerant.  Since switching out the tank and fuel line assembly and adding the Racor 10 micron Aquabloc II filter in the system I have had no motor problems.  The biggest downside is the need to keep a 2 gal gas can with fresh gas in one of the cockpit lockers in the event that I need more than the 3 gal tank can give me.  I have changed my 2-stroke oil mixing routine...I now don't add it to the gas until I'm actually adding the gas to the tank so that if I haven't needed the spare 2 gal after a couple of weeks (doesn't happen often as I usually sail at least once a week year-round) I simply pour it into my truck fuel tank and refill with fresh gas.  So far this system has worked like a charm (knock on wood or fiberglass or whatever is available).

Mike
WindRush CP-23/3
Mike23

kchunk

Brackish, sorry I'm a little late replying. Trying to get caught up from vacation.

The old Quicksilver 6.6 gallon plastic tank fits perfectly. You'll probably have to change over the fitting on your fuel line but that's no big deal. I bought it for the extra capacity. I think it's the largest tank that will fit the 23 without modifying anything. I found mine used at a marine surplus store for $15. A quick serach of eBay found these two:

http://shop.ebay.com/__QUICKSILVER-6-6-GALLON?_nkw=QUICKSILVER+6.6+GALLON&_rdc=1

Do you not have a gas tank at all? I think the 6 gallon OMC Dura Tank was original equipment.

--Greg

brackish

Greg

I do have a tank, it is a 3.2 gal Suzuki branded tank which I believe is one of the Moeller tanks that they private brand for the various motor manufacturers.  Two of them won't come close to fitting in any orientation.

I'll probably buy a Dura-tank or quicksilver for the sailboat.  Smaller tank won't go to waste, this winter I plan to build a Bateau fast skiff 14 composite to use for scalloping and fishing, and will use the 9.9 from the sailboat for both.  Of course that means I have to develop the means to get it on and off easily.  I guess it never ends..........

Frank