a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Upper side stay

Started by JohnPro, July 10, 2009, 03:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnPro

How  hard of a job is it to replace the upper side stay anchor points on the side if the hull? There is a slight twist in the upper side stay anchor point....also is that something to be concerned with..

Thanks JohnPro

kchunk

Hey John. I wouldn't worry about it. The anchor points are called chainplates. Take a close look at the hole where the clevis pin goes, looking for small cracks eminating from the hole. Also, check where the chainplate bolts to the hull, both inside and out. Check for possible damage to the hull or possible water damage. Whatever cause the plates to bend may not have caused any damage, but it might have upset the sealant at the bolt holes in the hull allowing water to seep in.

For what it's worth, mine are a little twised too. They were like that when I bought the boat and can't figure out exactly what happened, but I imagine it was probably some excitement raising or lowering the mast.

--Greg

ka8uet

I would also suggest that you check the holes where the chainplates are fastened to the stays and the hull to see if they are round, or have become elongated and assumed a more oval shape.  This could indicate continued stress on these points, which could lead to failure of the stay.  Good thing there are six of them, but you still don't want to lose one!

kchunk

John, I just checked my Com-Pac 23 parts list and Hutchins calls the chainplates "tangs". If you decide to replace them just call Hutchins and you can buy them directly from them. I've bought a few parts from them in the past (mostly deck teak) and usually everything is shipped promptly. I ordered a new mast step and it took a few weeks to fab, but no big deal, the old one was still usable. Cool thing about calling Hutchins is usually the receptionist answering the phone transfers you right to Gerry or Richard. Not too many boat manufacturers today can you call and speak to the owners!

Here are a couple files I've found usefull, It's a parts price list and a CP23 spec sheet. I make no claims about the accuracy of either. They are for reference only.

http://www.crewtalk.com/files/Com-Pac_23_Specifications.pdf

http://www.crewtalk.com/files/Compac_23_PARTS_LIST_09-06.pdf

Enjoy...

--Greg

JohnPro

Thanks Greg for the info. I'll check out those web sights.

JohnPro