a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat Mini jib

Started by frank, July 01, 2009, 02:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

hitchhiker...I've seen the video's with your jib. I'm curious if it helps ease weather helm as the CE must move slightly forward. Great video's ;-)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

hitchhiker

I am not sure if my jib sail improves my windward sailing. Because I try to keep my course of the boat when I have my jib hoisted. I mean I don't use the weather helm to earn the hight to the wind.  But I am sure the speed improves with the jib sail.

Craig Weis

The very nature of the cat boat is to step the mast up fwd and that pretty much moves the 'pull' up fwd for some pretty good 'crabbing' into the wind. Most sailors 'crab' the mark way too much. That be why we tac son.
So by adding a mini jib [minis are only good for skirts] I can't really see any good reason to 'crab' more. There are limits when attacking the wind.
But the more canvas that can be spread the faster she'll go. In theory anyway.
skip.

frank

I've had good luck sailing to windward with my previous suncat and toyed with the idea of a small light jib for added erea downwind. After seeing hitchiker's videop....I am sold. Watching him use it to windward...I got thinking that it must help weather helm a bit as the CE would have to be a bit forward. Anyhoot...mine is on order, so I'll report after trying it ;-)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Joseph

The jib should increase speed-over-water (SOW) in light winds (i.e., when the boat is sailing below hull speed). At SOW close to hull speed adding a jib should only make the boat go faster if the boat planes, otherwise the hull speed of the displacement hull should be the limiting speed. When close-hauled and close-reached the use of a jib would likely reduce weather-helm and may even cause lee-helm. IMHO the best advantage for hoisting a jib would be to be able to heave-to sloop style with a backwinded jib and the helm latched to leeward.  However all this is just theory and the ultimate word should be had by those sailing a SC with a jib... :)

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

jdonaldson

Actually, a tiny foretriangle jib will add virtually nothing to speed or windward ability -- but it will help push the bow around in light air when coming about.  In 8 knots or less, we often go into irons on the Suncat.  I haven't seen the video.  Where can I view it?  thanx
Quote from: hitchhiker on July 01, 2009, 09:54:35 PM
I am not sure if my jib sail improves my windward sailing. Because I try to keep my course of the boat when I have my jib hoisted. I mean I don't use the weather helm to earn the hight to the wind.  But I am sure the speed improves with the jib sail.