a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

i dont think they will go over

Started by kickingbug1, June 30, 2009, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

yesterday a fellow compac 16 owner met me at carlyle lake for a little sailing. as we launched our boats the wind began to pick up somewhat (forecast was for 10 to 20 mph). as we hit the main lake we saw what appeared to be a cal28 on the wind and really moving and knew we were going to have a memorable sail. my buddy john took the lead following the bigger boat. we headed south for about two miles and the wind really began to howl ( i found out later that the gusts were in the 35 mph range). john being the better sailor refused to reduce sail and kept yelling on the radio "this is sailing" . i kept up the pace for a while until i was hit hard twice , rounding up each time. i rolled in my jib and sailed on the main alone. i got to the dam came about and headed to where john was anchored in the shelter of a stand of trees. by the time i got there i needed a rest to be sure. john figured he had the rail in the water about half the time. after a short rest we headed back rounding up numerous times. i had an interesting accidental jybe that got my attention. . my point is this, even though it wasnt the most comfortable sail i ever had at no time did i feel out of control. when hit by a big puff i just eased the mainsheet and turned into the wind and she just eased back down. thanks to that 450 lb concrete in the keel we made it back without incident----unless you count the time johns hat blew off-----he just came about and as he said practiced a MOB manuever. to those who havent sailed in such conditions just know that if you get caught out there in the serious stuff your little 16 will take good care of you.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Steve Ullrich

Among the reasons I decided to buy a C-16.  We were sailing in breezy conditions Sunday.  Gusts were 30+.  I reefed the main after the first of those.  We never did put the rail in the water after that and  I was never concerned that she would go over.  I eased the main sheet in the gusts rather than let her round up but I know she wanted to.  As soon as the gusts passed I'd haul the main sheet back in and we held very good speed.  Should have had the hand held GPS along so I could see just how fast we were moving.  Did lose a spreader though and had to call it a day earlier than we planned. I've repaired that and we're ready to go another round. 
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

mikec

I didn't know the 16 had spreaders?

Mike

Craig Weis

They will weatherhelm, round-up, before they go over. I agree they won't go over. But the recovery and picking yourself up out of the soul of the cockpit and looking around for that speed you just lost and then the wait for the dreaded jib that just might take the head off or the end boom sheet line grazing by your shoulder is an unusual pain in the butt. Better to dump the wind on the main and as she pipes up even more, I fold up the main and sail only on the head sail, knowing that I can furler it in on a moments notice. I have put the rail under on just the headsail of my 19 and washed out the cockpit giving something for the scuppers to do.
skip.

adschmid

I dont think they will either.
They will start to round up and the main will spill before they go over. When I first got my cp16, I took her out in a storm on Lake Erie (20mph, 4ft waves) and pushed her close hauled to see just how much she would take. As soon as the rail hits, they round up. I have a stock rudder, so, maybe I could hold her on the rail with less effort if I had one of the Ida rudders, but, I still think the weatherhelm will save you from going over, regardless of the type of rudder. Unless...you get hit with a big wave broadside while you have her healed way over. Then you might be in trouble. I have found that it is best to just spill the main a little as soon as I feel that I cant counteract the weatherhelm with the tiller. This maintains decent speed and keeps you going in the right direction. I always try to stay in that sweet spot of maintaining maximum speed and moderate weatherhelm. The last thing you want is to loose forward momentum in strong winds.   

kickingbug1

sure wish i could have shot some video of john while he sailed ahead of me. the guy knows sailing and i suspect he got the most speed anyone could get out of a cp16. all in all a great day and a good learning expierence. as someone here once said if you dont sail in heavy weather you dont learn how to sail----its the best way to know ones boat as well.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Steve Ullrich

mikec - Concerning spreaders: The original 16 didn't have them. According to Gerry Hutchins they added spreaders when they put the bowsprit on the boat. That was the 16/2 in '86. They also raised the hound location (the place where the rigging attaches to the mast).  So they thought the addition of spreaders would be a good thing.  However, according to Gerry, it turns out that they do not do much, if anything.  They do not even deflect the side stays when in place but they do make the mast a bit more rigid. 
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

robb_black

My family used to sail back on Carlyle in the 80's when my dad first bought the 16.  Your story brought back memories of what it was like to sail out on that lake.  The wind can be quite treacherous there and I remember the accidental jibes that caused everyone to scramble to trim the boat.  I have that same 16 now and I sail it out on the Chesapeake.  Even though it can get breezy and you have to deal with the tides, it is much smoother sailing on The Bay than I ever remember out on Carlyle.