a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

23/3 Trailer Rental/Loan in Tampa Bay Area

Started by USMCR O-5, June 16, 2009, 10:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

My 23/3 needs to be moved about 50 miles from Dunedin, Florida to Ruskin, Florida.  Is there someone within 100 miles of Tampa Bay who is not using their trailer in the next few weeks?  I would be happy to rent it if possible.  The boat has been sitting unused for about 4 years and needs to come out of the water for a restoration.  Thanks much.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

relamb

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

USMCR O-5

Didn't get a trailer yet.  Hoping to still find one.  If anyone can help, that would be great.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Craig Weis

I did this for my dockmate Steve after he sold his 26 foot Coronado. Too shallow to park this deep draft at his dock. So he parked it on his can in front of his B&B, Gullhaven, one can Goggle this for a look~see. Anyway...
like this one, and bought his CP-19 Wind Rover...we transported his old boat to it's new home. Couple hour drive down to Milwaukee and bobtailed back North. Came back for my trailer later. Made $500 from the new boat owner who bought Steve's 26 footer for $1500 plus skip's delivery.

Sir, Here is how it worked...
~Take an afternoon, make a crib, by 'best guess' to measure-cut-and bolt it together with 3/8" carrage bolts and washers from 4 x 4 and 2 x 4 and two pieces of plywood on end, and a bit of scrap carpeting. We had everything but bolts laying around.
~Rent a flatbed trailer. I used my 14,000 lb two axle flatbed, without brakes BTW, homebuilt trailer with 2" ball from 1986.
~Then use chain and chain binders or cargo straps to secure the crib to the two axle 16 foot flatbed trailer fitted with a 2" ball hitch.
~Have a Travel lift place the boat in the crib. Two straps to hold her to the crib.
It's an easy tow. Place the keel midships between the two axles of the trailer. Weight distribution was perfect. Just enough weight on the ball. Depending on fit, bow fwd or stern fwd. Make sure you miss the tow.

Heck you could even put a chain on the tow and trailer with tongue jack down and let her roll down the launch ramp into the water, allowing the trailer enough chain to sink down enough to float the CP 23 off, then pull the trailer out with the chain and hook up to the tow and go home.

skip.

USMCR O-5

Thanks for the great suggestion.  I went to the Saint Petersburg Boat Show last week and found out that I can purchase a steel cradle from Com-Pac and put the boat on a flatbed.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...