a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Portable Ladders

Started by Timwp, June 08, 2009, 09:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timwp

I am thinking of getting a portable gunwhale 3 step ladder for CP16. Has anyone tried this with any success? I was thinking of getting the portable rope ladder that attaches to the stern cleat, but I have read reviews that it is useless in design. Any thoughts on this.

Aqua Kite
Skipper

Rick Klages

For emergency re-boarding nothing beats a permanently installed boarding ladder.

Steve Ullrich

I have to go with Rick on this one.  I don't know about the portable rope ladder but I had a collapsable ladder on my first boat that you could hang on the stern if you wanted to go for a swim that worked just fine for that.  The rope one may work fine for that too but the real problem is that either of those options requires you to plan on going over the side or it will be in the cabin where it is useless if you ever fall over accidentally.  Buy a stern mounted ladder.  Stronger, safer and better looking.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Deb

Hi Tim
I used a rope ladder that came with my boat, which is awful...don't.
Then I bought a nice gunwale...which is for sale if anyone wants it.
But safety first....get one installed.
Deb

Deb

Tim,, I meant to add that when you do get your permanently fixed ladder be sure to get one with flat steps.  Much more comfortable.
Deb

Craig Weis

Building from teak wood some flat on top and round shaped on the bottom to fit over and screwed to the round ss tubes used for steps really make your 'ship' more 'yacht~like' me thinks.

And once in a blue moon when the ladder is used to board this little addition can really save the foots some pain. I have not done this. But I do tow a fishing Bobber and nylon line double half hitched to the top rung so I can pull the ladder down when bobbing in the water with limited reach.

Think about it. A line not so long that it entangles in the outboard though. You never know when your going to fall over board, hopfully the sheet line controls and ST-1000 tiller minders are not engaged so that the boat keeps sailing away from you. I hope when that time comes all the sheets play out and she stops sailing so I can catch-up. Nobody can swim 2 to 6 knots.
skip.

romei

I just installed a garelick 2 step transom ladder this spring and am very glad I did.  It is very sturdy and like many others have pointed out, I'd hate to be overboard accidently and have the ladder in the cabin.  The only down side is that now the boom traveller lines have something else to get hung up in.

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

mikec

In my prior life, I had a Watkins 27, (on the market now for a Com-Pac 16, which by the way was my first real sail boat), and was coming up to my mooring.  The guy I had sailing with me was at the bow and grabbed the mooring stick, but I had a bit to much way and he let go.  As the stick came by the stern I reached over and down to get it and the next thing I knew I was in the water.  My wife in horror is looking at me as the boat starts to drift away. It can't get far but nevertheless it is going away.  I tell my wife to go into the locker and take out the ladder the previous owner had left. After much panicked searching she found it underneath all the rope, (I know poor planning), and attached it to the stern. I swam over and started to climb. I am not a huge guy but I am not a push over either. Anyway on the second step as I go for the third step, it breaks. Thank God the last step did not. I slowly and carefuly with my foot on the side of each step was finally able to climb aboard. Three days later I had a permanent ladder installed.

Don't think twice get a permanent ladder.

Mike C
Currently landlocked in Ocala, FL

mikew

Tim, I have a 3 step aluminum  portable ladder for my compac 16. It hangs on the gunnel.  The ladder does work, but , it's not a perfect fit. The loops on top are rather large which you need for the boats wide gunnel
so it does hang, but somewhat sloppy. The bottom of the ladder has two short folding stubs that support it vertically. Because the compacs hull is curved the ladder with weight on it tends to slope under the boat a bit. Three steps do work but, makes it rather short to get to the first step, also a heavy person may have some trouble here.
I have no experience with a rope or permanent transom ladder, but I have to wonder about getting tangled in the main sheet set-up.
So yes this ladder does work and sure beats trying to get in the boat unaided. We use it when anchored
in shallow water to get back in the boat after swimming. I like how it folds up and stows below on a bunk. I see now, that West Marine has a 3- step ladder on-sale.
Mike

Salty19

Garelick's  2 step transom mount ladder is real nice.
Less than $100, installs in a couple of hours max.

For all the reasons stated the mounted ladders are the way to go
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603