Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Marinas / Docking fees

Started by Whitecaps, December 17, 2004, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitecaps

CaptK,
There was some discussion of slip costs on the Yahoo! com-pac group a couple weeks ago. I'm curious about the costs in Winyah Bay.  I remember reading about your migration from Little River to Georgetown for a less expensive slip.  
My brother and I are considering a larger boat, but we're trying to decide where to tie her up before making the plunge.
Any other Com-pac sailors have a slip in S.C. or near Wilmington, N.C., I would like to hear what the fees are like in your area as well.

Thanks,
Whitecaps

CaptK

Heh - actually, I am paying a little more in Georgetown, but the location is much better. Plus, I had a really good deal up in LRI, in a small slip too shallow for most boats, so I paid less than anyone, and less than the going rate, otherwise I think it would have been almost the same as far as cost. The big difference is that in G-town, I can be sailing 100 feet away from my slip, whereas in LRI, I had to motor for 5 miles to get out of the Ditch and sail. :) Guess which I like better? ;) Are you thinking about slipping your boat there? Last I heard, Anchor Marina had the cheapest slips (its right at the base of the Hwy 17 bridge over the ICW, on the south/west side). Be sure to ask how much water they have at low tide, though - it was marginal for a CP23 when I checked, and that was for a slip closer to the marina "mouth" where the water is deeper. Some boats there were dry at low tide.
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Whitecaps

Not sure where we'll tie her up yet.  I'm just beginning to check into availability and rates.  My brother lives in Newberry, and I live in Waxhaw just north of Lancaster.  So I'm trying to find somewhere hopefully between LRI and Beaufort, SC that will be about the same distance for both of us. We spend some time at the end of the summer sailing near Edisto Island, but the marina there is rather small.

Does Anchor Marina have a website?

How many marinas are in the Georgetown area?

Thanks,
Whitecaps

CaptK

I don't know whether Anchor has a website or not. I do know they are in the Yellow Pages.

G-town just has the one marina right now, although there is one being built over on Front St. Also, you could just leave the boat on a mooring, for free, but you'd have to dinghy out to it. There is a 19 on a mooring there now; I've never met or seen the owner.

Trust me - if the choice is Little River vs Georgetown, go with Georgetown. :) Although I am paying more than I used to, I would be paying $1/foot less than if I had been paying full price up there. And there is no value you can place on having to motor 5 miles through the Ditch up there with the crazy, dumb stinkpot drivers that swarm in the warmer months. :D
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Craig Weis

At Snug Harbor, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconson/Door County...almost under the highway bridge, if you look at skip's pics, on a dock, no water or electricty, I don't want either, but I can use some if I need it for free. My dock fee is $800 for season. April through November. I give free 'sunset cruises' to tourists who stay at the hotel at Snug Harbor and pick up that much in tips.