a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outhaul? (and trailer question)

Started by Shawn, May 31, 2009, 09:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Finally about ready to launch my 23. I was going through the rigging and am wondering if the 23 has an outhaul and if so how it is rigged?

On the boom I have two cleats both on the starboard side. One at the front and one near the back. About a foot in from the end of the boom there is also a block on starboard and an eye strap at the same position on the port side. I believe that hardware is for reefing. Other then the blocks for the mainsheet there is nothing else for hardware on the end of the boom so I don't see how an outhaul is run. One diagram in the manual mentions the forward cleat on the boom is the outhaul cleat but gives no other details on it.

On my last boat you dead ended the outhaul line on a hole through the back of the boom (the 23 has this along with the hole for the aft stay clip), then the line was run through a grommet in the clew of the main, back to a block at the end of the boom and forward again to a cleat. Since the 23 has no block for this at the end of the boom I don't see how it would be rigged.

Thanks,

Shawn

P.S. When trailering the 23 what is the consensus for having the outboard on the mount or not?

dawntreader

Shawn,

on Dawntreader, the outhaul goes through a turning block at the aft end of the boom and ties off on the aft cleat.

The other cleat, strap, & block are for reefing.  The reefing line is knotted at the strap, goes up through the aft reef eyelet in the sail, down to the turning block, and forward along the boom to the forward cleat. 

I don't trailer so I've no experience with how to transport the outboard. 

good sailing
mike

Shawn

Hi Mike,

Thanks, where is the aft block attached to the boom on Dawntreader? I don't have a block back there. Maybe the PO left it on the main sail? I'll have to unroll that and see. If not I have a block I was going to use at the back of the boom for a topping lift that I could repurpose for the outhaul.

Thanks,

Shawn

Bob23

Shawn:
   My 1985 23/2 has the outhaul arrangement that Mike descibed. Works great. I always remove my Nissan 8 when trailering. No sense putting any more strain in the motor mount than neccesary, right?
Bob23 in NJ

Shawn

Thanks Bob. Looks like the PO didn't use an outhaul. The mainsail just had a bit of line attached to the clew which I guess he tied off to the back of the boom. I'll have to rectify that with a bit more hardware. I left the Johnson in the bed of the truck for trailering. Finally splashed her but as we were running out of daylight didn't rig the boom or anything other then getting the mast up. We used an A frame setup with a 4:1 block and tackle and a mast crutch at the stern which worked great.

Thanks,

Shawn

Mundaysj

Hi Shawn,

I also remove the motor before trailering... better safe than sorry.

Cheers,
Sherie