News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Why can't I put a picture on the left hand side of my posts?

Started by Craig Weis, May 23, 2009, 12:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Weis

Here is what the message says:

" The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved. "

What is an avatar? What's writable mean?

So what the  * does this mean?

I use to have a spinnaker picture here before the first site took a dump.
skip.

Steve Ullrich

Skip - While the pictures side of this site is down and out there is a work around if you want to post an avatar, or other pictures for that matter.  Follow the Photobucket link in my signature.  Sign up for a free site and upload anything you would like to share.  Crop any image to a square size if you want to use it as your avatar. As you roll your mouse over a picture you will see several options for sharing images.  Copy the address in the IMG Code box and paste it into the box in your forum profile information "I have my own pic" and you will now have an avatar.  Copy the IMG Code and paste it into a message like this one and it will show up when you preview or post the message. Like the fore deck of my boat below. 

Steve

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Craig Weis

Morning Sir.
Steve, I do have about 103 pictures in my Photobucket that I use for the Ford Model "A" discussion group.
And successfully up-load the pics to the Ford Barn without too much problem.
I never really know if by using the Hotmail Code or the ? other Code if it will always work.
I hold my breath as I can see the digital code on the post that turns into the actual picture when posted.
Anyway I'll give her a shot, may be it is not working because the picture is too large or not cropped into a square...hummmmmmmm, but usually a hand written step-by-step procedure is usually required. LOL
Thank you ever so much, you and your family enjoy this long weekend.
Here is the photobucket link, maybe...

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh299/1930fordroadster/

skip.

Steve Ullrich

Skip - I just re-read my instructions and noticed that I made a mistake...  Copy the Direct Link code to paste to the "I have my own pic" address in your forum profile to create an avatar.  The image you want to use for an avatar will need to be cropped to a square size or it will get smashed into a square image when it gets here and might look a bit goofy.  Any image you have uploaded to Photobucket will work.  I was using a pirate cartoon for a while.  The rest of my post was correct: Copy the code in the IMG Code and paste it in messages to have them show up in your posts and replies.

Steve Ullrich

Hello Tom,

I'm using a picture from Photobucket as my little picture in the box on the left.  I'm using this one:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss5/sullrich/Flag-Sailing-1.jpg

I started by uploading a picture then editing the picture to crop it to a square and resize it to about 190 x 190.

To make it show I copied the information in the "direct link" box under the picture on Photobucket and pasted it into the "I have my own pic" box in my profile:

Don't be too hard on yourself.  I've been working with computers professionally for over twenty years and they still make my brain hurt.

Steve

Quote from: tmolik on December 20, 2009, 05:44:30 PM
Skip..
I followed your instructions...I got a picture to show after the text on the right side but not in the little box on the left...

why am I dumb ????

tom

Craig Weis

Sorry I can't call you a dumb the problem is that the 'avatar', that box on the left, that your trying to upload a picture in is that the picture is SIMPLY TOO LARGE. I think the pic/avatar' needs to be about 150 x 150. I'm trying to do the same myself. Can't figure the darn thing out. I'm stupid too. I can't figure out how to change the size the avatar to ? x ? Even though I have excellent instructions from Steve Ullrich. It just won't budge in size.

I had an avatar once years ago before the whole site took a dump and we all had to start over.

skip.

tmolik

Quote from: tmolik on December 21, 2009, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: Steve Ullrich on December 20, 2009, 06:29:45 PM
Hello Tom,

I'm using a picture from Photobucket as my little picture in the box on the left.  I'm using this one:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss5/sullrich/Flag-Sailing-1.jpg

I started by uploading a picture then editing the picture to crop it to a square and resize it to about 190 x 190.

To make it show I copied the information in the "direct link" box under the picture on Photobucket and pasted it into the "I have my own pic" box in my profile:

Don't be too hard on yourself.  I've been working with computers professionally for over twenty years and they still make my brain hurt.

Steve

Quote from: tmolik on December 20, 2009, 05:44:30 PM
Steve  
I followed your instructions...I got a picture to show after the text on the right side but not in the little box on the left...

why am I dumb ????

tom
Steve... I got it now..both for the left side and the center pics...a lot of messing around but it works for me...thanks a lot
regards

tom

tmolik

Quote from: skip on December 21, 2009, 02:52:29 PM
Sorry I can't call you a dumb the problem is that the 'avatar', that box on the left that your trying to upload a picture in is SIMPLY TOO LARGE. I think the pic needs to be about 150 x 150. I'm trying to do the same myself. Can't figure the darn thing out. I'm stupid too.

skip.

steve ..got it all now, let me know if I can help
regards
tom