a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wish list of add-ons when ordering a new Sun Cat

Started by Joseph, May 23, 2009, 09:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

I am trying to put together a wish-list for items to be factory installed when ordering a new Sun Cat (i.e., other than the standard and optional items already offered upfront by Hutchins). This is so far what I have come with. Can anyone think of anything else to add to the list? The cat would be a full cabin Sun Cat to be trailered and sailed, mostly solo, in fresh water coastal cruising.

All electronics is hand-held.

- Two reef points in the sail - Seems like a given. Perhaps three?
- Single line reefing - Any one using it?
- Lazy Jacks - Have only heard good things about them
- Boom Vang - seems a good idea since main sheet is rigged aft
- Solar panel? - I have used a flexible one in the past, should I install a permanent one?
- AC 110 - For charging the computer and the cell phone
- VHF radio and mast VHF antenna - to improve eye-sight range
- Removable cockpit table? - i.e., like those used in some small trailer tents?
- Swing tongue (trailer) - Garage is short...
- Depth sounder? - My old lead line saves on batteries! and if electronic I am so far favoring a hand-held
- An oarlock at the transom for sculling (like Captn. Slocum in Spray...) - Indispensable...

Thanks,

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

sun17cat

I would definately add mooring cleats amidships so you can use spring lines when necessary, also as a place for hanging a fender. I have not found it necessary to have a vang and would think it would be a problem when raising and lowering the mast. Jiffy reefing and lazy jacks are great. I think two reef points are adequate since you can almost consider letting off the peak halyard as your first reef point. For AC just get a small inverter and plug it into your 12 volt outlet. Depth sounder, consider installing with a shoot thru transducer so you don't have to drill holes in the hull. I don't see how a hand held would be any benefit. How about a compass?

Jim

Joseph

Jim,

Here are my comments to yours:

The idea of a mooring cleat amidship is a superb one. Also great for rigging an amidship breast line for stepping to the dock when single-handed.

Will reconsider the vang carefully, but what would be the problem if it is only a regular vang with snap shackles?

Two reefing points it is.

Problem with small inverters is interference with my portable Ham HF radio... but there is no indication that a permanent installed one would not do same.

The bulkhead compass is an option offered by Hutchins.  I prefer a good hand-held but cannot do without a boat compass either.

As for the sonnar I was thinking on something like this:
http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/products/H22PX/overview.htm
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/digitalsonar.html
Advantages are that it can be used in different locations relative to the boat and in different boats. I like to keep the boat as much uncluttered with electronics as possible  (for the old feeling and in case of lightning... you know).

What about an autopilot?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

sun17cat

I installed the D10D using the transducer shooting thru the hull. If you should go this way I can explain how to do it. With the hand held don't you have to lean over and put in in the water? Autopilots are big energy users. You will find a tiller tender to be a big help  when single handing.

Joseph

Jim,

I agree that having the depth continuously displayed in the boat when approaching shore would be a plus. I understand that you installed the D10D transducer inside the boat without drilling a thru-hull hole? I don't like thru-hull holes in a small boat, particularly one without positive floatation (the self-bailing scuppers are already bad enough!).

I agree about the energy use of the autopilot but for an aging single-handler it seems almost a must, not for extensive passaging but for freeing the only two hands on deck in time of need (i.e., reefing, dousing the sail, particularly considering that a Cat cannot be hove-to in the same manner as a sloop).

Raymarine ST1000 and the Simrad TP10 are the smallest I know. Most reviews I've seen favour the ST1000. According to Raymarine the Power Consumption of the ST100 in on Standby: 40 mA/hr (90 mA/hr with full lighting), and on Auto: 0.5 to 1.5 Amp/hr (depending on the seas and the boat). This is high but for short periods of usage (minutes) it should be within the power range of a ~70 Amp/hr battery trickled charged by a solar panel.  The only reason I've seen for preferring the ST2000 in a small boat like the Sun Cat would be the speed of response (i.e., to avoid rolling).

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Les

Might eyeball these items for your Suncat options wish list ...

- special paint job? hull & bottom colors are pretty but require maintenance
- bottom paint
- bimini
- cockpit cushions
- fabric berth cushions instead of vinyl
- upgraded teak interior over plain ash
- hatch board bag
- sail cover
- Doyle sail with two sets of reef points & tell tales
- extra reefing gear on boom (comes with hardware for first set)
- lazy jacks (most people love them, but not me, just extra lines to foul)
- electrical package
- marine battery & tray (there is room for a second battery if desired)
- 12 amp battery charger
- 12 volt outlet
- bulkhead mounted compass, they spec a Danforth Saturn
- anchor roller & hinged deck pipe
- teak cockpit grate
- stainless boarding ladder
- hasps for the cockpit lockers
- forward hatch screen
- galvanized trailer with spare tire
- full boat cover for storage, not trailering
- mermaid?

Suncat a Lula

Absolutely agree with Les re: the options list, especially not using lazy jacks on a boat this size.  Too many lines in the way!  Always room for a "mermaid" tho!

Joseph

Since sailing would be in fresh water... a Naiad perhaps...?
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Suncat a Lula

Joseph,

A naiad would do, as long as your body of water doesn't dry up!

Joseph

Drying up? With the shallow draft of the SC got a long way to go, and once the creature is on board, who cares about being aground... and BTW, "Naiad" may not be a bad name for the boat, either...  Thanks!

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom Ray

Quote from: Joseph on May 23, 2009, 09:24:36 AM

- Two reef points in the sail - Seems like a given. Perhaps three?
- Single line reefing - Any one using it?
- Lazy Jacks - Have only heard good things about them
- Boom Vang - seems a good idea since main sheet is rigged aft
- Solar panel? - I have used a flexible one in the past, should I install a permanent one?
- AC 110 - For charging the computer and the cell phone
- VHF radio and mast VHF antenna - to improve eye-sight range
- Removable cockpit table? - i.e., like those used in some small trailer tents?
- Swing tongue (trailer) - Garage is short...
- Depth sounder? - My old lead line saves on batteries! and if electronic I am so far favoring a hand-held
- An oarlock at the transom for sculling (like Captn. Slocum in Spray...) - Indispensable...

Thanks,

J.

Compared to other cat boats, the Com-Pacs have less sail area for each pound of boat. Translation: they already have the first reef in when the sail is fully deployed. They also come with a reef point, which I view as the second reef point. As mentioned, dropping the gaff boom is another, making a third reef point. So you're talking about adding a fourth and fifth reef. Maybe stay home those days?

Single line reefing: I have seen one that did not jam up due to excessive friction. The hardware used would shock you in price. Do it the old fashioned way.

A simple single lazy jack line down each side, adjustable at the boom, will help you keep from being whacked in the head by the gaff boom and will organize the sail. You can also use it to raise the main boom a bit in light air for a more round sail shape. It doesn't need a fancy lazy jack set with multiple lines on each side. One line contains the gaff boom, and that's plenty.

A boom vang might present a problem when folding the mast, depending on installation. The two booms and the sail pretty well occupy the mast stub, and if boom vang hardware got in the way of that stuff coming all the way down, no folding for you!

Get a little cheap inverter for AC power. I like the ones that just plug right into a 12 volt outlet. Cheap enough to be semi-disposable, but do the job.

If you put a VHF antenna on your mast, protect the wire inside corrugated plastic tubing to keep the mast hinge from cutting it.

tmorgan

I think the absolute factory installed options are ones that would be very difficult to do on your own; electrical system, anchor roller and deck pipe, swim ladder etc.  Mooring cleats amidships is a great idea.  I wish I had them.  A lot of things like lazy jacks are easy to install if you like messing around with boats.

I am  thinking that two reefs in the sail doesn't leave much up there to drive the boat.  In windy conditions, you have to be able to drive the boat through the waves.  Anybody have double reefs that can speak to this?  I'd also like to hear from folks about depth sounders; the Suncat only draws what, 16 inches with the board up?

Craig Weis

My main has Jiffy two reefs in her on my Com-Pac 19.
Don't use them very long before I shake them out.
Nothing is very hard to add to a sound and well sorted boat.
It took me three days to figure out how to mount my compass
without having the back side of the compass sticking into the cabin
and a half a day to make the teak ring and attach to the bulkhead
with 'no visible means of support'. Opps sounds like a bra commercial.
And you thought skippy didn't pay attention.
And how to hide all wiring, antenna leads, ect.
skip.

ontarioSuncat

What compass did you mount. I too do not want the compass to enter the cabin. It would spoil a good back rest.

Tom Ray

I would make a spare hatch board and mount a bulkhead-mount compass into it. More visible when passengers are aboard, doesn't spoil a good backrest, and can be put inside out of weather when the boat is not in use.