Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lowering Mast single handed

Started by Deb, May 22, 2009, 09:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

Hi Folks,
That tropical boating site is great Melvin.  That system is amazing. Alot of thought did go into that.
I really like the idea of a little winch that can stop at any point to make adjustments if needed.
As for the little buttons over the screws on the horn cleats I only had to pry them off a bit harder with a screwdriver.  Now I'll have to drill a new hole for each as the clamcleats I have don't line exactly. 
New question.  I've not drilled into the fiberglass before.......any recommendations/advice?
I feel better lowering the mast from up on the bow. It's that last few feet when she gets really heavy.
I'm wondering if I added a tall mast crutch to my mast support that goes between the two stern pulpits. If I made a more V shaped catcher for the wobble as it was coming down and stopped it before that last few feet.  Then I could remove it and finish.  It's something I could make and try before getting too complicated.  Y'all know....less is more......more or less....  Deb

mrb

Hi Deb

The taller mast crutch sounds like a good bet, especially if you can make it yourself.  I think it would work as well as the telescoping crutch but cost a whole lot less.
  Drilling fiberglass is no harder than drilling wood.  Be sure to use metal bit.  Are you going to use one of the holes from old cleat then drill one new one.  You will want to have a backing plate and use a bedding compound to seal unused hole and new holes.  I would not use silicone,  3-M makes good bedding compounds and another thing that works good is epoxy putty that comes in round tubes.  buy at most any hardware department in stores or auto supply's. 
  You may get some advice to use screws to hold cleats and it sounds like that is what was used on old cleats.  If you do use screws make sure you drill new hole undersized.  The epoxy putty has a lot of holding power on its own which I think is a good thing when using screws in fiberglass. IMHO   Melvin

Deb

I'VE GOT IT!!!!!!!   YEA!!!!!  First I tied a tight rope to the starboard turnbuckle ran it around the mast  about 3 feet up clearing all lines and since I don't have anything to attach it to I used my two sail stops to hold it between then tied it to the port turnbuckle. This is to avoid the sideways motion.  Then I put a wedge of thick foam (I'm thinking a back support pillow would work good too and be useful in the cabin) just aft of the mast with the widest part aft.  I also put alot of cushioning on my stern mast support just in case it banged. Ok, now I go up to the bow.
I ran the jib shackle up to it's top at the pulley, shackled it back on itself so it wouldn't try to pull thru the pulley. The free end of the jib halyard  I made loop around the bow line  cleat (not removing the bowline)and secure it with a couple twists. I release the self locking forestay easily and move it aft out of the way.  Then I go back to the jib halyard, holding it firmly I release the twists and leave a loop for leverage.Now I stand facing the mast, I hold the halyard in my right hand hold the mast in my left and ease her down.  Kinda jumping/sliding my hand back as she goes down.  When she reaches the wedge she stops, which is great because that is the point I can't hold her easily and she would crash on the cabin and stern support.  The beam supporting rope worked great too, she stayed centered. Having hand control was what I really needed.  It felt very controlled and comfortable.
I bet I have stared at her and read for hours and finally I just got up there and when I felt like I had rigged it all where it felt right I tried it and it worked!!!! (My spotter is so relieved).  Finally!!!  And tommorrow it's NOT going to rain and I'm heading out early!!!  As time goes on I may have to go to plan B but for now I'm FREE!!!!!!   Thank you all for everything very very much!  Deb

Deb

Fantastic Day !!!!  Fabulous wind and the mast lowering went perfectly. I threw all my life preservers into the wedge and it worked beautifully.  Independence is sweet.

kickingbug1

i have to say i dont know why anyone needs help with a mast on a 16. i use nothing to assist me just stand her up and attach the forstay. the reverse -undo the forstay hold the mast while you get behind it and let her down. i dont know what it weighs but cant be much. the beauty of a cp 16 to be sure.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

mrb

Timwp

I had to do this in choppy water by myself the other day...one thing I would add to the posts is, you can use your cam cleats for your jib sheets as a brake. This allows you to reposition yourself under the mast to take the load.

Aqua Kite
Captain