a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

LOOKING FOR 23/3 TO BUY, SELLING 2006 SUNCAT WITH EXTENSIVE CUSTOM WORK

Started by jdonaldson, May 08, 2009, 09:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdonaldson

We had a 27 for 11 years, turned it into a floating palace, loved it, but, now in our late sixties, we downsized to a Suncat.  We again have turned the Suncat into a floating castle with every imaginable equipment, electrical upgrades including dual solar panels, custom wood working in the cabin, VHF, fan, solar vents, Canadian custom stern ladder, custom canvas summer cabin that I designed myself, pop-up S/S cleats, forward S/S bollard -- and on and on with many other changes and added features.  According to the dealer from whom I bought it and who did the extensive custom work, it's got to be the most costly Suncat on the water.

My bad.  My wife says, Too Small.  I'm afraid that the 27 comfort level is the standard for her.

So I am looking for a late 23/3, nothing earlier than '99, not a diesel (no thank you, been there, done that), excellent condition.  A swap might even be possible.  Let me know if any of you can bear to part with your 23/3.

padrekw

I am selling my Com Pac 23. $17,000  I have just begun taking pictures and getting information together about everything the boat has:

I can send pictures on request.  The boat is in Charlevoix, MI.  It has been taken care of very well, everything is in very good condition.  I need to sell because I thought my 4 year old son and 3 year old daughter would love sailing, however this has not been the case and I don't want the boat sitting on a trailer for the next 10 years before they figure out they do like sailing. Unfortunately, I am probably going back to power.

Specs, obviously you know the general specs:

2003 Com Pac 23/3 Burgundy accents
2003 Performance Trailer
2000 Johnson outboard long shaft 8 hp
Boarding ladder
Compass
Roller Furling system
Sail cover
Bimini top- Burgundy
Portable head
Privacy curtain

It is a good boat and I am including pretty much everything that is on the boat. Life jackets, lines, fenders, flares,.........

The boat does not have radio or GPS. I always used portable type.

The boat is showing some signs of water intrusion inside from the area of the flange area.  Depending on my time, I am going to try to re apply some marine adhesive between the joint.

The boat is in very good condition and still has a little "new" boat smell. I will be taking pictures and will send them to you if you want or if you want to see the boat please call me at home.  231-547-1746

I have not cleaned up the boat for the season yet because the weather has not cooperated, so the pictures might make the boat look dirty. But, I plan on cleaning it up this week. I just took the cover off last week.

Thanks again,

Scott

jdonaldson

Thanks for your kind response and helpful description.  Can you tell me the brand of roller furling?  Send pix to registered e-mail.  Flange leaks on the Compac 23 have occurred in part because the bulkheads are not fully tabbed and the cutaway bulkhead between the forward and main cabins allows both the bulkhead and the flange to work in a seaway.  Or, it could be that not enough caulk was applied at one or more points.  Problem is sealing the leak with more caulk at where you think the water entry is occurring is (a) often the exit point within, not the entry point;  (b) this approach does not really re-seal the flange - it is a bandaid.

Is the Performance trailer a launching trailer (probably) or just a transport trailer (probably not)?

Fair winds,
Jerry

Quote from: padrekw on May 29, 2009, 09:35:07 AM
I am selling my Com Pac 23. $17,000  I have just begun taking pictures and getting information together about everything the boat has:

I can send pictures on request.  The boat is in Charlevoix, MI.  It has been taken care of very well, everything is in very good condition.  I need to sell because I thought my 4 year old son and 3 year old daughter would love sailing, however this has not been the case and I don't want the boat sitting on a trailer for the next 10 years before they figure out they do like sailing. Unfortunately, I am probably going back to power.

2003 Performance Trailer
Boarding ladder
Compass
Roller Furling system
Sail cover
Bimini top- Burgundy
Portable head
Privacy curtain

It is a good boat and I am including pretty much everything that is on the boat. Life jackets, lines, fenders, flares,.........

The boat is showing some signs of water intrusion inside from the area of the flange area.  Depending on my time, I am going to try to re apply some marine adhesive between the joint.

The boat is in very good condition and still has a little "new" boat smell. I will be taking pictures and will send them to you if you want or if you want to see the boat please call me at home.  231-547-1746

I have not cleaned up the boat for the season yet because the weather has not cooperated, so the pictures might make the boat look dirty. But, I plan on cleaning it up this week. I just took the cover off last week.

Thanks again,

Scott

jdonaldson

Scott, the yard where I have had work done on Compacs said that the flange leak is easy to fix, but asked me whether you have suffered any interior water damage.  We can drive to MI from Wash. DC to see your 23/3.
Jerry

2003 Performance Trailer
Boarding ladder
Compass
Roller Furling system
Sail cover
Bimini top- Burgundy
Portable head
Privacy curtain

Thanks again,

Scott

jdonaldson

Scott, have you been able to get any pictures of your 23?  Looking forward to seeing them.  We looked up Charlevoix, found that it is 775 miles from us in D.C., so we would have to fly to see your 23/3.  Let me know where you are in selling it.
Quote from: jdonaldson on May 30, 2009, 08:44:43 AM
Scott, the yard where I have had work done on Compacs said that the flange leak is easy to fix, but asked me whether you have suffered any interior water damage.  We can drive to MI from Wash. DC to see your 23/3.
Jerry

2003 Performance Trailer
Boarding ladder
Compass
Roller Furling system
Sail cover
Bimini top- Burgundy
Portable head
Privacy curtain

Thanks again,

Scott

Aunt Bea

Just now putting my 23/IV  2005 on the market.  It's loaded with extras, trailer tandem axle, surge brakes, mast raising system, Suzuki 9.9 4 stroke.  Boat just had a new bottom job (barrier and top coat), trailer just serviced as well as engine.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll send pics and equipment list.  Price $27,000 negotiable.  Boat is in excellent condition.  Willing to delivery depending on location.

I'm moving up to a 32' Beneteau.  Hate to see her go but 2 boats is too much.

Aunt Bea

Jerry,

Did you get my email with the document on the 23 IV?

Bea

John_Pino

Hello!  I am selling my Compac 23.  I know you're looking for a newer boat but you want to consider "Breezin' Easy".

1989 Compac 23 with 1992 Honda 9.9 electric start. Package includes: battery, roller furling jib, new radio, spinnaker, cushions, main sail with cover, compass, porta potty. Boat has been in dry dock for over 2 years and is in excellent condition including like-new Honda outboard. Call John for more info at 732-591-0388.

tjuliar

Hi Jerry:

I certainly do not want to get in the way of a sale in process. The boat in MI sounds like a good boat. I have a 1996 23' here in Annapolis if you want to take a look. I've owned it for 6 years -- bought it to replace a 19' that I brought with me from Minnesota when I moved here 8 years ago. It was formerly in Indiana where it was rarely sailed and stored for 3 years. It is in good shape. Brand new sails this year that I ordered from Bacon & Associates here in Annapolis. Honda outboard. CDI rollerfurling. Performance Launching trailer. New bottom paint this year. I've pulled it out of the water each year and stored it on land during the winter.

Am thinking of selling because I have a new baby and it looks like sailing is going to be a something I do a lot less of for a few years.

I will send you pictures or you can arrange a visit to Annapolis at your convenience. Let me know if you are interested and we can arrange a meeting.

Kind regards,

T Juliar

jdonaldson

No, Bea, I didn't.  Where did you send it?  Thanks for following up.
Jerry
Quote from: Aunt Bea on June 10, 2009, 02:14:00 PM
Jerry,

Did you get my email with the document on the 23 IV?

Bea

jdonaldson

Thanks for your post, I appreciate it.  Our Suncat is presently stored only about 8-10 miles from you in Annapolis, so a visit sounds great!  You are not interrupting a sail in progress, Bea has provided information but we don't even know where her boat is yet, waiting to find out.  How can I contact you by phone, if you feel safe in posting a number here?  Let me know.
Jerry
Quote from: tjuliar on June 10, 2009, 10:20:41 PM
Hi Jerry:

I certainly do not want to get in the way of a sale in process. The boat in MI sounds like a good boat. I have a 1996 23' here in Annapolis if you want to take a look. I've owned it for 6 years -- bought it to replace a 19' that I brought with me from Minnesota when I moved here 8 years ago. It was formerly in Indiana where it was rarely sailed and stored for 3 years. It is in good shape. Brand new sails this year that I ordered from Bacon & Associates here in Annapolis. Honda outboard. CDI rollerfurling. Performance Launching trailer. New bottom paint this year. I've pulled it out of the water each year and stored it on land during the winter.

Am thinking of selling because I have a new baby and it looks like sailing is going to be a something I do a lot less of for a few years.

I will send you pictures or you can arrange a visit to Annapolis at your convenience. Let me know if you are interested and we can arrange a meeting.

Kind regards,

T Juliar

tjuliar

Hi Jerry:

410.263.6571 is the phone #. Call at your convenience.

Best.

T. Juliar

Aunt Bea

Hi Jerry,

I've tried several times to get an email to go through but your verizon administrator gives me a message back that it has been delayed.  Do you have another email or fax? 

My boat is in Guntersville, AL.  You may call me 205-951-9773. or work 800-959-9912 ext 2257.  I posted a summary of the boat in this classified section but no place to add the pictures.

I've got a word document that has all the details and lots of pictures of the boat if I can get it to you.  Are you a member of the Compac yahoo group?  I will upload it in a file to that group and you can check it out there.

Bea

Aunt Bea

Jerry,

I just uploaded the file with all the specs, equipment and pictures to the yahoo com-pac users group.  The file is "Copy of Arion.doc".    The boat is in excellent condition.  We did the interior and exterior teak in marine grade tung oil.  The exterior looks like varnish.   Since you are a wood worker I think you would really like it.

Bea