a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

heaving to

Started by kickingbug1, April 21, 2009, 01:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

last week i went out and decided to practice heaving to. i have never felt the need to do so in the past but i thought i should learn. just to clarify the steps. 1) back sheet the jib. 2) luff the main 3) hold the tiller all the way over to the lee side and tie it off.  is that the right procedure. it seemed to work.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

kchunk

That sounds like it. Just to clarify for those who aren't sure:

• Tack through the wind but don't release the jib sheet, backwinding the jib.
  • Ease the mainsail, allowing it to luff.
  • Keep the boat close to the wind, bleeding off boat speed.
  • As the boat slows, keep moving the tiller more and more to the leeward side.
  • Once the tiller is as far as it goes, lash it in place.

That's it. Now you can take a break, grab a beer, or answer the call of nature. However, be aware that your boat is still moving, a little leeward and a little forward. Watch for that leeshore!

--Greg

newt

Sometimes it helps to adjust the jibsheet (on the windward side) My furling jib is so big that it can turn my compac around, so sometime I have to furl or let the jibsheet out a bit to depower it. Follow Gregs instructions however and you should not go wrong. After a while, with your boat, it just becomes automatic and very comforable.
Here's to the seaworthy sailor!

yknot

Newt,

I have the same issue as you regarding the size of my jib.  As I do not have a furler, the jib presses against the stay when I heave to.  I wasn't sure if this would cause damage to my sail, so I haven't attempted it that much.

I have thought of someday installing a furler...

Happy Sails!

Steve Ullrich

You have the procedure right.  It's the maneuver that I use when ever I need to reef or let out the main.  Almost like putting her in park for a few minutes.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

newt

ynot,
Try letting out on the jibsheet. You can let it out till it starts flapping in the breeze, although you won't need that much. just enough to make it less effective and your main should force you up. My sail doesn't really hit the standing rigging when I do this (I probably have a little more slack in the jibsheet than you do) I don't think that the sheets pressing against the shrouds will do any damage (as long as the shrouds are all tuned up). This heave-to technique is for mild to moderate winds.
You might have to experiment with this a bit. Some little boats don't need a jib at all. The wind and waves blasting at the bow is enough, with the main slighted and the tiller to lee, to heave to. In winds over 25 knts I would consider rolling my jib to heave to. Since you have hank-on, you might consider a pull-down line running back  to your cockpit to dose the jib in tough conditions. The Pardey's  show how to set one up and swear by them.
Just some ideas- take em or leave em :)