Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another Newbie

Started by Smitty, April 02, 2009, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty

Hello to all.

Thanks in big part to this forum I recently purchased a CP16, Hull# ABV01016M79K.  I am a novice so I'm sure I will be on here from time to time asking stupid questions. A friend of mine, and co-worker, sold me this boat and for a time this same guy owned a 27 ft Hunter. A few years ago I helped him sail the Hunter from Port Isabel Texas to Port Aransas Texas where he had a slip rented. I believe we sailed for about 12 hours the first day and six or seven the next. It was my introduction to sailing and I fell in love with it.  We sailed the Hunter several times after that until he sold her and moved out of South Texas.  I have been itching for a sailboat ever since.  So after a bit of research, I decided the CP16 would be a great first sailboat for me.  Yeah I read all the knocks, slow, won't point, blah blah. Then I found this forum and after reading the posts  and the great admiration you all have for these little boats, any doubts I had were erased. I have a lot to learn but I expect it will be great fun.

Cheers,
Smitty

Greene

Congratulations.  We also were persuaded by this forum to purchase a "slow/no-point/..." CP-16.  Ours is an '84 that we adopted last fall.  It is stable, simple and fun to sail.  You'll love the ease of trailering and launching.  It usually only takes about 15-20 minutes of prep and it is ready to plop in the water.  We have the Magic-Tilt trailer which pulls easily and launches nicely.  We don't use the tilt feature, it comes off easily enough without it.  We can't wait for the first sail of the year so we can try our new (used) 155 Genoa which we purchased from another member of this forum.  Great bunch of people who are willing to help us beginners out.

Mike and Brenda
Puppy Luff
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

romei

Welcome aboard Smitty.  It's all in what you're into really.  In motorcycles, if your after fast, zippy and cornering you'll buy a rice rocket.  If you're into a nice comfprtable highway ride you'll buy a hog.  This is no different really.  If you want to point hard and race, buy a laser or something.  If you want to sit back and drink a beer on a small, comfortable, good looking ride, without the fear of getting upended, you buy a cp16. 

It sure works for me :-D
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

kickingbug1

ahoy and welcome. this is the place to be for info and good people. ive had my 81 cp16 for almost two years now. i purchased an ida rudder right off the bat---when you could still get one for under 2 bills. i sailed it twice with the stock blade and im here to tell you that it made all the difference. you can however make your own like two of my friends did. the cp16 really doesnt point any different than most cruisers ive been on but its no laser. ive had mine in some pretty good blows with no worries. you can constantly make upgrades to the boat. ive made a furler for my jib that works great (sailed yesterday) and some minor trailer modifications. i cant think of another boat this size that works as good. if we can just get all of the compac sailors together for a convention and regatta we would really have something. welcome aboard
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Mike H.

Welcome Smitty!!!   I too am new as of last year and while I only got my boat out 3 times last year I could not be any happier and cannot wait to get out again this year (ice is freshly off Oneida Lake).  Everyone was extremely helpful & encouraging and I'll help too where I can.  I don't have a lot of sailing experience prior to this boat but I've had some and I don't find this boat lacking in any way (pointing & speed), at least for how I intend to use it...    This year looking forward to camping out at anchor (hopefully many times)... I agree with kinkingbug1,  would love to see a gathering of Compac's (especially the 16's) but would love to sail with & camp with any similar sized boat, compac or not.

Mike
Compac 16/2, "Lucky Duck"

kickingbug1

last summer we had our midwest rendevouz at carlyle lake in illinois----a great weekend four boats seven sailors all great people. hope we can have another this year. any thoughts you have along those lines feel free to submit them,
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

KPL

Mike H. -
I'm going to try to get my boat down to Oneida this summer, we should plan to meet up.  The ice came off of Norwood this week, so I'm eager to get the boat in.  Unfortunately the ice absolutely destroyed my dock finger, so I've got a rebuild on my hands.  It also pushed the wall my dock was attached to to about 45 degrees over.  So I've got to find a new method to link it all up.  In the meantime I'm waiting on new sails... Hopefully launch early May....maybe sooner.

Kevin

don l

Fair winds, and welcome, we do love our CP 16.  Love reading the books and all the posts. These sailors have been of great help to me. 

enjoy

mrb

Welcome aboard Smitty,

Enjoy your CP and those fair gulf breezes.

Melvin

Mike H.

Hey Kevin...  good to hear from you again,  sorry the ice took it's toll on your property.  My waterfront on Oneida is still a mess from a nasty east wind that broke up the ice & my property...  Would love to get together for a sail on Oneida or any other lake for that matter.  I still have your email & will contact you directly there.  Curious where you're getting your sails from?  My sails are in good shape from what I can tell but would like to get a bigger jib sail (I see people mention a 155 Genoa).   Also curious about Mike from New Hampshire (I forget his log in name), he showed interest in getting together as well...
Talk to ya soon,
Mike 

KPL

Mike -
Try North Sails Direct   northsailsdirect.net  they seem to have very good prices.

Kevin

Steve Ullrich

Mike - Noticed your question about sails so I thought I'd toss in an option.  I just asked for quotes from the usual players and the best deal I've found so far was from National Sail Supply, LLC (Rolly Tasker Sails, Florida). http://www.nationalsail.com/  Here is the quote I just got back for a main:

"Custom built in 4oz Dacron to the dimensions we have on file, luff 15.25', foot 7.5', with standard battens and 1 reef, a new mainsail would be priced at $315. Sail comes standard with leech line with cleats at reef and clew, slugs on luff, rope foot, sail battens and sail bag. Current delivery time is 3 to 5 weeks from confirmation of order."
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Potcake boy

Quote from: SUllrich on April 19, 2009, 01:27:06 PM
Mike - Noticed your question about sails so I thought I'd toss in an option.  I just asked for quotes from the usual players and the best deal I've found so far was from National Sail Supply, LLC (Rolly Tasker Sails, Florida). http://www.nationalsail.com/  Here is the quote I just got back for a main:

"Custom built in 4oz Dacron to the dimensions we have on file, luff 15.25', foot 7.5', with standard battens and 1 reef, a new mainsail would be priced at $315. Sail comes standard with leech line with cleats at reef and clew, slugs on luff, rope foot, sail battens and sail bag. Current delivery time is 3 to 5 weeks from confirmation of order."
Just purchased new main and jib from Dirk (National Sail) - couldn't be happier with the sails, service, and price. Dirk makes sure everything comes to you perfect, and is very knowledgable - he's a good guy to have in your corner.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Steve Ullrich

Potcake - How much did they want for a jib?  I didn't ask for a quote on one...  Dirk was the gentleman that sent me the quote on a main.  Quick reply to my inquire and very helpful.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Potcake boy

A 1979 CP 16 (new) was the first boat I owned many years ago, and the only problem was that it gave me the false impression that "this is what sailboats are". So when it was time to move up I made the common mistake of thinking I could take the quality of my 16 for granted in all boats. I bought another brand of boat, and learned all the hard lessons. When the local Compac dealer (we became friends) asked me later why I didn't buy the CP23, whatever ever answer I gave him was wrong, I should have admitted that it was because I was stupid. I would have enjoyed the CP23 so much more. Not to say there aren't other good boats, and some better for some things, but the Compacs hold their own against any for their construction and fulfillment of design purpose. You can't go wrong with a CP 16 as a starter boat, and some have found it's all they need and as your father did, have loved these boats (no I didn't accidentally leave out the "a" LOL) long time.

Enjoy,
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water