a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What type of motor is on your CP23?

Started by Mundaysj, February 25, 2009, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HideAway

I have an 8 hp Evinrude on HideAway and it has all the power I need to over come the tide etc.  If I were to replace it I'd get one with an alternator and it would be a four stroke for fuel economy.  I certainly would not go any smaller.  Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

Did I say I never had engine problems??? Well, Miss Nissan decided to quit today while I was moving from slip #60 (where she deposited us on Saturday) to slip #53. I drifted in to slip # 80 something, secured the yacht and, after sweet-talking the lady, she decided to start, although seemed to need additional warm-up time. Finally, she coasted us over to slip #53, yes the same number as Herbie the LoveBug..and my birth year- both meaningless facts. Maybe the ethanol demon has struck! Begone! Foul beast!!!
   Bob23, all tied up at LongKey

newt

I'd get used to sailing her (you know, with sails) if I were you.:)
But then again, we all have problems with our movements from time to time.

Bob23

Ahhh...there's always a comedian on every site!
Bob23, laughing!

Mundaysj

OK everyone... My new motor just arrived (in NJ).  I decided on a 9.8hp Nissan.  $1775 total including shipping ... for motor, gas can, hose and coupling... not too bad, huh?  Comparatively speaking that is.  If I tinkered with motors I could have looked for a used one, but considering I know nothing about motors, I figured I better go for new.  So now I will hopefully have a motor that starts every time!!  Of course that will mean fewer humorous stories... but I'm sure there will still be one or two!!  :o)
Cheers,
Sherie

Bob23

Congratulations on the new arrival. That should be way more power than you'll ever need. HEY- you ain't becomin' a powerboater on us, are you? Just checking.
Bob23, happy with my Nissan

ka8uet

I've had a 1984 Eveinrude Saildrive on my 23/3, QTH, ever since I bought her in 1989.  Brucie, as my broher dubbed the motor, lived in the basement of my house during the winter, safely esconsed on his wheeled motor stand.  However, I've always had trouble with pull start engines, even before ethanol.  Now, my renter claims that Brucie, and my bike, were stolen from the basement (I lived in that house for 30 years and no one ever stole anything out of it!), so I have to replace him.  He had all the power I needed, but I never battled tide or much of a current.  I'm thinking about either an electric outboard (sicker shock!) or an electric  trolling motor as a replacement.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance for your input.

Mundaysj

An electric would be nice but that depends on how you keep your battery charged.  I'm on a mooring so that would be problematic for me.
I am loving my new Nissan!!

ka8uet

I don't use my motor much.  However, I would charge batteries with solar panels.  I may, in time, add a wind generator. 

Donzen

For "Bob 23"

I read your earlier post - re Suzuki 4 stroke engines - something like to avoid them...

I have no vested interest in Suzuki marine products but disagree with your assessment of their quality/dependability.  I have a 90hp 4stroke on my power boat and LOVE it.  I have had nothing but excellent performance and durability.  I like it better that a previous Yamaha and Nissan products I have owned. 
Just my .02 cents worth opinion........

Bob23

Donz:
   I was passing along information that was passed on to me. Remembering now, I think it was in the context of smaller 6-8 hp 4 strokes and had to do wtih parts availability. But, as with many things, I could be wrong!
   Thanks for your 2 cents; it's what keeps this site interesting and resourceful.
Bob23
(Too bad Toyota doesn't make outboards!)

Donzen

To: Bob23,,,

Fact is I was so impressed with the Suzuki Marine engine I went out and bought a Suzuki SUV --- even though I read consumer reports that it too wasn't up to a Mercedes Benz. --- but I bought it too because of my experience with their marine engines.  And I'm totally, totally pleased with the auto as well.  Never an issue...Never.!
As far as parts supplies are concerned, never ever needed a"part" for my Suzuki's over the years I've owned them.  So have to disagree with that issue as well!!

It just pisses me off that folks condemn marine products without EVER getting opinions B4 they invoke some type of authoritarian comment......

mammy7

We have a Johnson 8hp on our 23.  We get moving when the weather changes.  the engine was bought with the boat and had been used very little.

Bob23

Donz:
   Didn't mean to piss you off. I haven't spread my opinion to the rest of the world so set your mind at ease. I just re-read my comment: "As far as manufacturers, I've been told to stay away from Suzuki 4-stroke." End of quote. Hardly an authoritarian comment, wouldn't you agree? And I certainly wasn't condemning anything, just offering an opinion. Good thing you're not easily offended! If so, my apologies.
   The Suzuki Samurai has always been one of the best off-road trucks one could own. Around here in Southern NJ, there are lots of off-road trails and many stories of Samurais pulling out big, stuck full-sized 4x4's that weighed twice the Samurais weight. It is just about the toughest little truck out there and sort of coveted by in-the-know off roaders.
   Which SUV did you buy?
Bob23

Donzen

Bob23,

No offense taken.

I too just wanted to opine re my experience with the Suzuki brand.

I bought a Grand Vitara SUV - not quite big (powerful) enough to tow the CP-23 due to towing limitations (3000 lbs), but it tows my power boat just fine.  I am tempted to try a short haul to launch & retrieve the CP-23 because I'm only about 500 yds to my ramp - and a flat run at that. No hills or any traffic to worry about. We have a ramp in our community so it's private and no commercial traffic to worry about.  My concern would primarily be the retrieve; where I would need a bit more "muscle" (I think)....to get it up the ramp (although it too isn't substantially steep).  I just don't know about taking the risk but will probably try it one day just to see if I can pull it out for any needed service.

I just don't know if I should take the risk.  Don't want any bad Karma from my Suzuki :-) ya know!

Regards Capt'n......... Donzen