a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hull speed, and Com-Pas 16

Started by don l, October 02, 2008, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don l

Sailing the other day here in Colorado, on our Com-Pac 16 we reached hull speed of 6.2 knots.  At this time we came into the wind, letting the jib fly, and spilling the main.  Now with greater puffs coming from windward, we did not reef, just bare poled back to the dock.  Question?  IS a sailboat still safe to sail after passing hull speed?

Bob23

Yes, but if you feel out of control, you probably are and should slow down.
Bob23

kchunk

Of course it is, that is unless you broke something. You're more likely to damage your sails letting them fly in heavy wind.

Do you have a foiled rudder on your 16? On my 23, with stock aluminum rudder, I know when I really get her moving I can feel the rudder starting to stall. The wind picks up, the boat accelerates, the weather helm more pronounced. Eventually you'll reach the point with the tiller hard to windward that the rudder will stall, allowing the boat to round up. No harm.

Next time out in that wind, pay attention the the force your applying to the tiller. With the tiller in one hand and the main sheet in the other, as the rudder begins to stall (almost like it's losing the battle against the boat) you can ease the main just a bit and give the rudder a little more authority. Conversely, pull that main sheet in and feel the rudder as it gets to the point of wanting to stall. It's a great exercise and should give you a bit more confidence in you ability and the ability of your boat  :)

Craig Weis

Yes your Com-Pac 16 should have suffered zero damage by exceeding the calculated hull speed.

Having done this too many times myself either on purpose or simply by not dumping wind sooner...the usual result wares me out.

1~I'm picking my self up off the soul of my cockpit, and with short arms that cannot push or pull the tiller where it needs to be she has rounded up, or jibed or just plain gone into irons moments before catching a big gust that tosses everything below deck around....

2~I laugh, feel stupid but just keep on trying to sail in big wind and on the verge of loosing it again. What fun. I sail on the edge and out of control.

Once over the fear, I enjoy it. I know that I'll not suffer a knock down and even with rail-under Comfort & Joy would right her self if everything is dogged down and I keep the water out.

I read where a C-P 19 had it's masthead 10 above the waves and still righted itself. I have no doubt a C-P 16 would do the same thing.
Keep in mind that she will sail fastest while on the level keel. I do have an IdeaSailor rudder that allows me to be 'stupid' to a greater degree, holding the rail almost down a little easier until rounding-up. A natural tendency and diffidently sailing out of control. skip.

don l

I have the stock aluminum rudder that came with the boat.  I have looked at the Ideasail rudder, the cost is, well, aaaa, oh well, maybe next year.  However, as the wind picks up, and the boat accelerates, at times, and if  I  don't watch out, she will make a fast round up. Wow, sure gets the wife's attention.  Still learning, thanks for all the help. Will try and work with the rudder and the stall exercise.  Just trying to learn slow, and calm. Not wanting an Ashau Valley experience.  Thanks again.

mrb

Exceeding hull speed in a displacement is kind of like playing with earth quakes on the Richter scale, a little bit may be slightly dangerous but as the excess speed increases the danger increases exponentially (hope spell check guides me through that word).  Probably the first thing to go will the first mate or admiral.

Practice reefing in low winds and also sailing with only one sail and never let go of the main sheet when sailing in heavier air.  might be tempting to cleat main sheet when hand gets tired but better to shorten sail.

mrb

Craig Weis

Cajun

That rounding up talked about is simply sailing out of control. It's OK as far as the boat is concerned, but as said a bit hard on the crew.

A new IdaSalor rudder will not prevent this boat from rounding up. But it may help the skipper hang on to that edge a bit more , falling off the wind when needed, but helping to choke a few more degrees up wind.

Actually when it's puffy out I hang on to the main sheet and don't jam cleat her down and release, dumping air, to prevent rounding up and pulling in when I have fallen off a bit. That's if I really want to work hard at sailing. Usually I sail pretty flat as the Com-Pac 19 sails fastest flat.

I don't reef 'cause it's a lot of work. So in place of reefing I just sail on the head sail. I did manage to put my rail under water just on the head sail once. It was fun and wet in November. A bit chilly too. skip.

don l

Thanks Skip. This has turned out to be a wonderful adventure.  This rounding up has happen more that once, to my wife and I.  Yes, we were out of control, boy, what fun. However, will the boat capsizes?

mrb

Cajun

Concerning question of will these boats capsize.  Check post on 16 site page 6 and I think question of what are the limits.. I think the concensus is that you can put rub rail under water and in extreme take some water of the comming, however for special skippers she will right herself.

I have taken on water but can not for sure say comming was under water or took a wave over front of comming where it meets cabin.  Boat righted and we continued on are way minus one gps.  Lucky my wife was not on board. I was sitting on the lee side of boat, maybe if I had been on windward side things would have been different.

Hope the lead can answere your question. mrb

don l

mrb,

Wow,  page 6, topic. "What are the limits".  I think it should be mandatory reading for all sailboat want-a- bee's.

don

Craig Weis

Will the boat, a 16 capsize? It's possible but one needs to let the water flood far beyond the combing, filling the soul of the cockpit and then into the the cabin through an opening not blocked to the seas by a drop board and properly secured sliding companionway.

Actually I'll bet if one were to pull the top-O-mast over till the masthead touched the water and waited a few minutes, then let go, I can see the Com-Pac 16, or 19 just roll back up. The only challenge is to stay in the cockpit. I have a safety harness and a "D" ring on my Suspender life jacket. But I carry a knife to cut loose, as well as a whistle and mirror in case I need to make a 'phone call' attached to the vest. skip.