a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Overall length of eclipse and trailer?

Started by mkeenan, September 15, 2008, 08:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elibobeli

For what it is worth, my '08 Eclipse on a Magic Tilt Trailer fits inside a overhead door that is 8'9", with the mast steaming light clearing the door opening with only a couple of inches to spare.  I think I have read height on trailer at 8'6" but my trailer rides a little tongue high on my truck.  Good reminder to make sure the door is all the way up.  The mast anchor light with mast mounted in the trailering position is the farthest rearward projection with the rudder lashed to one side and the motor in the down position.  From that light to the trailer ball reciever is just shy of 26 feet.  Width is 102-103" from tire to tire on trailer (widest point).

Along with all of it's other attributes, the fact that it fit in my barn was one of the reasons I bought it.  It is the biggest little boat I could fit thru the door!  Perfect!

AT

Quote from: mkeenan on September 17, 2008, 08:52:19 AM
Does the set up take two hours for even the p-18?

P-18 should be significantly faster to set-up than P-23, but still longer than Eclipse.

mkeenan

My search goes on, leaning back toward com-pac and having to store it. Don't really want to pay that storage fee but I guess I ahve to toget the boat I want.

Glenn Basore

Getting the boat you want is Essential to being a happy sailor other wise, whats the point !

Glenn B.

Potcake boy

Mike,
I believe the biggest Compac you will get in a standard garage (typically 20' to 21' in length with a 7' high door) would be a Suncat. I would feel comfortable taking this boat to the Dry Tortugas and it provides "camping" style accommodations for two. It is also an ideal trailer boat, much easier to launch and retrieve than a standard sloop rig. IMHO, these Compac cats also sail quite well, I'd say maybe as well as the standard sloops of traditional design like the 16 and 19.
Years ago I owned one of the original 16s, and I currently own a 19. These are great boats but like almost all trailerables they don't fit well with a spontaneous sailing spirit unless they are sitting in the water waiting for your sailing urge to appear. Even my 16 was a chore to retrieve and pack up for the haul at the end of a hot day in August on the Chesapeake.
I had a Picnic cat for a while after I moved here to Punta Gorda, and really like the boat a lot - was planning to keep it as a day sailor after acquiring a bigger cruiser to keep in the back yard. Plans changed a bit so I sold the Picnic cat and delayed the cruiser. I was seriously considering a Suncat to balance both needs, but eventually located a late model 19 to keep in the water as a weekend cruiser and daysailor. If I am going to the Keys for example , it's not too much to pack up and trailer for a trip down the road, but not for an evening sail. Where as the Sun cat can be launched and retrieved in a few minutes with ease. I believe there is a kit available to allow it to fit into a standard garage (7 foot door height), and there are trailer tongue hinges that allow folding of the trailer tongue.
Hurry up and get yourself a boat, and join me for a Keys trip in January. I hope to spend a couple of days diving the Looe Key reefs with my daughter and then on to the Dry Tortugas.
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water