a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Overall length of eclipse and trailer?

Started by mkeenan, September 15, 2008, 08:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkeenan

Does anyone store their eclipse in a garage? Is it possible? I have a 21 foot garage. Can you remove items such as the rudder, engine, swing trailer hitch to possible make it fit?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just sold my power boat and want to purchase an eclipse but do not want to pay for storage.
Mike

AT

mkeenan

Off the top of my head I'm not sure. I'll check tonight. It is a standard garage in Fla.

AT

I don't think it will go through the standard door. The boat sits too high on the trailer. Can you keep it beside the house?

mkeenan

Does the boat sit higher than a 16 or 19. I thought i read somewhere that some owners were keeping theirs at house in the garage. I could be way off.
Mike

AT

The 16 may fit into a garage. Legacy should too. Eclipse needs a barn door. Not sure about the 19.

mkeenan

AT,
Thanks for all you assistance. I still have many questions. I trying to get the biggest small trailer sailboat to keep at home. I live in Bonita Springs, Fla in one of the notorious "gated communites" (what a joke) so i have to keep the boat out of sight so to speak. I really like the eclipse and I'm now perplexed as to my options. I want a boat that is comfortable and able to make ti to the Dry Tortuga's with feeling of some sort of security.
Mike

AT

Vertical clearance for bow pulpit is 86 inches, mast adds another 14 inches (can be removed). Cockpit arch clearance is approximately 90 inches. My garage door is about 80 inches tall.

Anyway, in my opinion, the best trailerable Tortuga-capable boat is Seaward 26. It is heavy at approximately 6000 lb and a bit expensive - 60-70k with options. Not too many of them are available on the secondary market. Sailing Eclipse to Tortugas is a bit of a stretch - you need some experience and a good weather window.  I don't think you can find a boat that can both fit in the garage and be stable enough for sailing 100 miles offshore with confidence. In your situation, keeping a boat on a trailer in a marina seems the best way to go. There is a nice marina not far from you - Southeast of Naples, off Timiami Trail (I am going to keep my future yacht there; this is the cleanest and the friendliest marina I have ever been to). They have dry storage for $125 a month (where I live it is over $200 and a waiting time). I was there last weekend, they had 5 spots available. The biggest drawback with that marina is that they are separated from the Gulf by a long channel, it would take at least an hour to navigate it, but for 2-3 day long trips it is not that important. Perhaps you can find another one that is more convenient. BTW, I saw one Eclipse in that marina in the dry storage.

mkeenan

AT,
Thanks once again. I was not planning any near future long distance attempts. I also did not want to buy one boat to learn as much as I could on then sell to purchase another boat at a later date (one that I really wanted). I also did not want to have to pay the storage in another location. With season here you know it can be a pain in a%& to get anywhere in Florida. South Naples is a good 40 min. travel time or more in season.
I live around 6 miles from North Naples (Wiggins Pass) and was hoping to trailer and sail from there on Thursdays and the weekends (simple straight shot and well maintained county public ramp). Once again your a big help. You know anything about the Legacy?
Mike

AT

Mike,

I saw the Legacy once at a boat show and it appeared painfully small for my taste, but I look at boats from cruising perspective, even if it is just a week long cruising. Sizewise, Legacy should be a good day sailer for protected waters. My guess is that it will not be comfortable in seas 4 feet or above, which is what you will often encounter in the Gulf even close to shore. I suppose, Legacy owners can provide better input regarding their boats limitations. One other boat that you may want to look at is Precision 18. There is a Com Pac and Precision dealer in Punta Gorda area; I suggest you talk to them when you get a chance, they are quite helpful.

Glenn Basore

The Eclipse will not clear a normal two car garage door opening.

As to its length, I have a three car drive way that is 30 feet long, the boat and trailer take up 27 feet of it !

Glenn B.

AT

Forget the Precision 18 as well. Just checked the specs, the height on trailer is 93".

mkeenan

Oh my, I guess I am still looking at the bigger boat for comfor and storage space. You all have been great help. What are your regards to the precision 21 and the eclipse, handling control, stability, comfort, anyone have any ideas comparing one to the other. I know it is hard to compare apples and oranges but thought I would ask. You know it never hurts to ask
Mike

AT

I did not buy Precision for it takes much longer to step its mast and launch it. I was looking at Precision 23 and was told by that dealer in Punta Gorda that set up time is about 2 hours, which was also confirmed by one owner. Otherwise, it is a great boat.

mkeenan

Does the set up take two hours for even the p-18?