a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse vs 19

Started by mkeenan, September 10, 2008, 10:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkeenan

Does anyone have information as to the sailing comparison of the eclipse vs the 19; speed, comfort, handling ability?
I am looking to possibly purchase an eclipse or 19.

Glenn Basore

Mkeenan,

I have an Eclipse and really love the boat for its quality, easy handling and its the bigest boat I could tow with my tow vehicle (1996 s 10 Blazer v6 automatic 2 wheel drive) without over straining the tow vehicle.

I had moved up from a Hunter 170 which was my first boat, lots of fun but I wanted larger boat with more stability, the Eclipse has filled that spot.

I wanted to buy as big as boat as I could

My under standing is, Com Pac did not want to remake the molds for the 19 and came out with the Eclipse to take the 19 place.

Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you will be pleased with either boat.

Glenn B.

mkeenan

Glenn B.
Thanks, anything you can tell me about the eclipse as to your likes. I am coming from a power boat and want to do some small travels, ie...Tortugas, icw fla keys? possibly alot of overnighters.

tsaiapex

I owned CP19 for 5 years and have studied Eclipse a bit so here are my armchair observations.

The Eclipse is actually 21' long, 100 lbs. heavier and a bit larger sail area.  CP19 ballast is around 900 lbs. and Eclipse is 700.  The boat is fractional rigged as oppose to CP19's masthead rig so the mainsail will do majority of the pulling on the Eclipse.  With that and the centerboard, the Eclipse will point higher and faster than ComPac 19.  However I think a properly trimmed CP19 with poled out 155 genoa will be just as fast running downwind. 

The Eclipse carries its bow further forward and quite plumb so I hope it pounds less than CP19 when beating into heavy chops. 

Glenn Basore

I do like the plum bow, she just slices through the waves, no pounding.

I also don't get very wet from the bow cutting through the wave, it seems to throw the spray away from the boat.

Towing and launching with my s-10 is easy. I store my boat on my driveway, I'm lucky I don't have to pay storage or slip fees.

As to the C-19, I can only imagine that it has the same high quality as the Eclipse or any Com Pac for that mater.

The Eclipse does point well. When I get hit with a gust it simply wants to round up.

To prevent this, I simply let the Traveller out to leeward a bit and its smooth sailing.

The boat feels very solid and stable My wife likes it because of these factors, she is happy than I'm happy !

the stainless steel center board is easy to raise and lower. and the schoal keel makes it easy to launch and retrieve.
Glenn B.

Gil Weiss

The CP19 is built well, like a tank, many say. My wife and I really like ours after moving up from the CP16. Large interior, very stable, very comfortable to sail and it looks like a sailboat, not a running shoe or a rocket ship. The CP19 sails quite well in various conditions under just the main or the main and a roller furled jib - in our case. A comfortable family boat. It motors well too. The champaign glass shaped hull has some fine characteristics.

That being said, knowing how ComPac designs and builds boats, I am sure the Eclipse is a fine craft too. You  cannot go wrong with a ComPac!

Gil

AT

Quote from: mkeenan on September 10, 2008, 12:15:54 PM
want to do some small travels, ie...Tortugas, icw fla keys? possibly alot of overnighters.

That is exactly how I used my Eclipse - one Tortuga trip, few trips to lower Keys and frequent overnights in Biscayne Bay and Upper Keys.

The boat is very stable. It does not rock at anchor like champagne glass bottom boats do. Very well built. Speed is consistant with the size. Sizewise, it is good for two people when overnighting. It gets a bit crowded for three people to overnight, although we sailed to Dry Tortugas with three of us and spent 7 days on the boat.