a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Long Distance Cruises

Started by mkeenan, September 09, 2008, 12:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkeenan

Does anyone have any information on any long distance type cruises of Com-pac yatchs that one can read. IE...Gulf of Mexico crossings, Bahamas crossings, great lakes crossings, ICW trips? Can't wait to hear back. Thanks

Craig Weis

Might want to read

Handbook of Trailer Sailing
by Burgess

Sail the Caribbean with both a 19 and 16...skip

mkeenan

Thanks, I have the book and I am reading it now. I was wondering if there was anything else available.

mikew

Hello,  I found this article on the web of a Cp-16 sailing from Key West to the Bahamas.
http://www.photoboto.com/psyched_up.htm

Craig Weis

Before I let my subscription lapse into the sunset an article about sailing to Hawaii was mentioned in Small Craft Adviser...having no desire to go to Hawaii I never read that story...archives?? maybe. skip.

mrb

Hi

This is not about a cp but I think you will enjoy this sit.   www.microcruising.com

Some nice story's and excellent pictures of a couple sailing to the Bahamas from Florida and other cruises in a homebuilt "micro cruiser".  A good way to spend some time when shore bound.

mrb

frank

I took my Compac 25 from Indiantown Florida down to Lake Worth inlet and "crossed the stream" in 08. Went from the West End on Grand Bahama Isl. through to Hope Town (Elbow Cay) and stopped at many of the Abaco islands on the way through.The CP 25 was a great Bahamas boat as there are many shallow ereas and the 2 1/2ft draft was great.Took the "don't rock passage" to get from the Green Turtle erea across to Treasure Cay erea and south without having to go outside using "the Whale" passage. I find shallow draft a true asset.Even when getting in and out of Black Sound the tide really didn't matter.Fun sailing by other boats aground or anchored waiting for the tide.With care, even a CP 19 would easily do the trip.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Craig Weis

Every Sailor ought to read Robert Manry's 1965 adventure book Tinkerbelle. And stop in to see the actual boat in Cleveland, Ohio where Manry worked as a newspaper reporter. I like the visit to Tinkerbelle by a U.S. submarine, mid-Alantic...
skip.

newt

Does anyone know of a good tutorial to prepare a smaller Compac (16-23) for long distance ocean cruising. I feel I could live on mine if I could just be sure she wouldn't leak if broached or capsized. We were knocked down last year and she shipped water from someplace (possibly the rub rail?)  Has anyone tried to make these little boats watertight?

don l

thanks mrb, liked your post.  Like reading about micro cruiser,  newt, I think we have a leak around the rub rail too. However, sailing the ocean blue in our sixteen,  "shiver me timbers"  not old enough to try, only a babe, a little over 60.   

www.microcruising.com

Sam in VA

Here's a site with lots of information about Manry and Tinkerbelle, including the entire book and video footage put together by Manry.  I have his book and read it numerous times as a young adolescent.  Its a great read

http://www.clevelandmemory.org/manry/index.html

http://www.clevelandmemory.org/manry/index.html

Craig Weis

I enjoyed the fact that Bob Manry sailed in an Old Town Mf'g. sailboat. I have an Old Town Panobscot canoe and almost kind of felt a kinship between the boats. Can't explain it. I saw a poster once of the Old Town Boatworks and all the 'wood chucks' had on ties, vest, shop aprons, and a hat as they were busy making beautiful boat and piles of wood chips in the 1800's.

A few years ago at the Door County Wooden Boat Show a fellow exhibited that same Manry hulled sailboat and it was for sale. I tried to interest the DCMM into purchasing this boat and then I thought I'd cut her down the middle plus make the additions Manry did and have people walk through the cut displaying both the inside and outside of this marvelous vessel. All the supplies would be on board, exactly like the cut-a-way drawing shown in the book. Just like was done with a model of Dick Rutan's Voyager Aeroplane, first to fly around the world non-stop and displayed at Oshkosh, Air Venture Museum in Wisconsin. But no one wanted to spend the sum of $2500.00. It would have been a 'drive to destination' here in Door County.
skip.

Scott Statz

Read the book, Cruising in Seraffyn.  The author is Lin Pardey.  She has several sequels.  Also, her husband, Larry has several highly recommended books.

wildwill

Dinghy Cruising, Single Handed Sailing, Gipsy Moth Circles the world, Sailing Small, A speck on the sea, One hand for yourself, one for the ship...just to name a few.

I took my rub rail off and silicone caulked all the way around. i am in the process of adding hinges to the rear hatch and a gasket. I have thought of purchasing buoyancy bags that I can inflate and deflate, putting them well aft of the sleeping berths, but if she is sealed up tight I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

I have never been knocked down, but have side slipped. She is designed to heel 40 degrees and side slip from that point on. But if it's gust and you have a larger sail area, it's possible.

You said you were knocked down and turtled? She is designed to self right as well...tell me what happened?

newt

Last year I was out sailing in Utah's second largest lake, which is a big puddle about 30 miles long and over 10 miles wide. We were way into the middle when we got hit by a microburst. It his us at about 60 knts, and visibility was poor (about a mile) so I had less than a minute to see it and respond. Unfortunately I was holding my grandson when I saw it coming. I had enough time to hand him off below, turn the boat into the wind and it was there. We were already on reefed sails, but it quick overpowered the keel and we broached and then knocked down (80-90 degrees)  spreaders and boom in the water. In that condition we rolled the jib and she popped up.  Ran with the wind under reefed main for a couple of minutes, and the wind was gone. At 80 degrees- she didn't ship much water into the cockpit, but did ship some down below. As far as I can tell, first time she has ever had water in her bilge.
The ports were under water too---that could be where the water came from, but I think it was the hull-deck joint.
BTW- thank you for the PM's and the responses. I think I am going to seal off the joint with 5200.