Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New 16 Owner

Started by Rebmilc, September 09, 2008, 11:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebmilc

Paul

Thanks for stating the obvious so eloquently.  However I did deserve that since it is so obvious.

Mike

Paul

mrb

hello rebmic

I have a cp-16 and have just gone through some of what you have concerning keel.  Plan on writing more about it when feel up to that.  however comend you on thorough job and also posting concerning keel fix because i think a lot of folks out there may want to keep a eye open for keel bubbles.  i drilled holes through foberglass to concrete and got quite a bit of drainage.  finally had to vacuum bag to get final couple of cups of water out.  kind of ugly mess.  after two months on the ground loaded boat onto trailer this am. and looking forward to launch tommorrow.

good luck on any further fixes and then happy sailing
mrb

Rebmilc

Hello MR B and All

Good luck on putting your boat in and sailing this weekend.

The idea of vacuum bagging the keel is great.  That would have saved a bunch of time on the drying side.  The repair is pretty straight forward and I think anyone on this site could do it with ease.  People get nervous about making holes below the water line and don't grind enough away or let it dry long enough.  I have a deal with a friend if a hole needs to be made below the water line I will do his and he will do mine.  That way a bit less stress once the initial hole is made then you can have at it.   

Some may remember that my trailer was bent just behind the tongue.  I still think some one hit it in the parking lot while I was out sailing.  Well I had a local machine shop make me 2 3/8 plate steel pieces 18 inches by 2 3/4 drilled 6 13 mm holes evenly spaced and picked up the bolts to match.  Through a cunning plan involving a pickup truck 2 inch tow strap and a large tree I was able to make the part straight.   I then drilled through the part, through bolted the whole thing  and wala.  I am not sure how strong it is but it looks really bomber.

Mike

don l

Welcome aboard, you will enjoy many hours of relaxing, and knowledgeable reading with much fun.

don

Rebmilc

Yo Don

Thanks for the greetings,  I do agree great site and nice people.

Mike