a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Reefing

Started by elibobeli, August 25, 2008, 04:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elibobeli

The setup of my reefing system doesn't make the most effecient use of the equipment available.  The reefing line runs from an eye on the side, aft end of the boom, thru the leach reef cringle back to the boom end, thru the boom to the mast end and dangles down thru its tension clamp.  The mast end of the boom also has a reefing hook on each side to hook the luff reef cringle on to it.  So I have to move forward either in the hatchway or along the cabin top to get to the mast end of the boom to attach the reefed sail to the hook and to pull the reefing line down.  Then tie the two other reefing points down on the foot of the sail.  Seems with a little more reefing line and a few simple hardware pieces I have a single line jiffy reefing system.  How are you guys reefing on your Eclipse?

Allan

AT

I like the simplicity of existing system. It is more reliable than single line reefing.

Glenn Basore

I'm not really pleased with the system in place but I use it.

One of the things I did to simplify reefing for me was to mark (using a black felt tip marker) the main halyard line where it would be when I reefed.

I simply go into irons, lower the main and locking it in place using the black mark as my stopping point, reach forward and pull the reefing line  in, secure it and add the hook to the gringle.

The out Haul is also difficult to use while sailing.

Glenn B.

elibobeli

Glenn,

Good idea about marking the halyard.  I'll have to do that and give more thought this winter to how to upgrade the reefing system and the outhaul.  I do most of my sailing sitting right under or standing behind the aft end of the boom and would rather control things from that position.  Seems outhaul could be controlled right at the end of the boom.

I'll see what I can come up with without complicating things.

Allan