a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Does 2008 Suncat's traveler work?

Started by hitchhiker, August 20, 2008, 08:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hitchhiker

2008 model of Sun Cat has two mainsheet's ends on both sides of the boat at stern. Each sheet's end is through a pulley with a cum creat.  This single long mainsheet is through the three-wheel pulley on the boom end.
Does this system work as a traveler?

Craig Weis

I am not understanding the question. That never stopped me before.

"Main sheet ends at both sides of the stern". [Stern is really in the front of the cockpit]

Hummmmmm. Could that be a pad and block atop the cockpit combing? Let me check some gallery pictures...Nope that's not right.

"Through a pulley with a cum creat..." Why does this sound dirty? LOL

Through a block with a jam cleat...?

OK from the picture below high lighted in blue.... The main sheet traveler is in the cockpit just behind the drop board and has a car that travels port to starboard. With a jam cleat. We are rigging for a 3:1 purchase.

URL: http://com-pacowners.com/gallery2/displayimage.php?pos=-1306

This may be the best photo on how to rig this traveler.

Looking at this picture it looks like the main sheet is-

1~pinned  [or begins] at the jam cleat pulley block. Using an eye in the main sheet line?
2~Main sheet line is pulled through the small pulley/block at the boom.
3~Then main sheet line is pulled through a pulley/block at the jam cleat.
4~Then main sheet line is pulled through the large pulley/block again at the boom.
5~Last, main sheet line is pulled through the guide and into and through the jam cleat.
6~Don't forget to tie a figure eight knot in the end of the main sheet line to keep the main sheet line from being pulled out of the jam cleat.

Got it now? skip.

hitchhiker

Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry for my poor English.

2008 model of SunCat has a different main sheet system which sits at stern looking like a triangle.
Here is the picture of it.

http://com-pacowners.com/gallery2/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=13695&pos=-1513

Craig Weis

Hitchhiker, boy that is a very pretty boat in dark blue color. I now see what you mean about that triangle off the stern set up.

Now that I think about it I like this older set-up better then up-front in the cockpit. To answer the question this looks similar to my Com-Pac 19 main sheet layout.

Same thing, start at the jam cleat, ought to be an eye spliced on the end of the main sheet and a pins goes through the eye and into the tang on the jam cleat.

Now an up grade. Consider this...instead of a pulley with side by side configuration maybe one pulley above the other is better. Like shown in the picture I posted. The main sheet line won't twist using this block instead of a side by side block.

Anyway, from jam to block on end of boom. Back down to starboard side stern mounted block. Back up to boom. Down to port side pulley and through the jam cleat jaws. Don't forget the figure eight knot.
Your English is fine.  Thanks for the post.skip.

hitchhiker

Thank you, Skip.  Let's enjoy sailing! _)_

Craig D

May be a little late but the 2008 Suncat sheeting system works very well. My Suncat is a 2008 and I like the new system better than the older bridgedeck traveler system. It gets the sheets out of the middle of the cockpit and makes the available space more useable. Some folks have a problem with keeping the two sheet tails the same length but frankly I have not found it to be a problem. Given the choice I would personally go with the new system. By the way Rich Hutchins refers to it as a "Continuous Sheet" system.

mrb

Welcome hitchhiker

To answere your question, no, the system you describe in not a traveler but works just fine.  Sounds like same system used on my 16.  One of the good points is you don't have a traveler or car to hang up when comming about or grab unwary hands that or on the track.  The picture sites you and Skip posted would not open for me so I may have this wrong, however sounds like you have a cam cleat at both sides of boat.  If that is true you may be able to change which end of the main sheet depending on what tack you are on. Interesting idea
Just don't forget those figure eight knots that Skip mentioned.

Don't worry about the spelling or grammer.  Spell check is my crutch for one and grammer is a great big o well.

mrb

Hello again hithiker

I just took a look at your profile, Japan, ok! Now you need to let us know how you found the Sun Cat and also tell us some of your sailing adventures. One thing you will find about this site is that we like to hear about others adventures.

Happy sailing
from Arkansas
mrb

hitchhiker

Hello, mrb

I found the Sun Cat on the net when I was looking for a small boat which can be kept at a marina near my house. The marina doesn't accepts larger boats than
18 feet.  But now I keep my boat at a different marina little far away from my house and I think I should have bought a little bigger boat.
After the retirement I want to buy CP25 or 27.
Anyway I love my Sun Cat and Com Pac boats.

I have posted three videos named "SunCat~" to YouTube. I hope you'll enjoy it.

mrb

hitchhiker
nice videos,looks as if you found yourself a good boat.  what bay are you sailing on, it reminds me of the norther California and Oregon coast. let us know if you post any more videos.

Fair winds mrb

frank

A quick look at some old designs shows that mainsheet idea is niether a new or unique system. Pearson used it on several designs in the 60's.  I owned a suncat with the bridgedeck traveller and while it was a nice piece..it seemed in the way getting in/out of the cabin with the boom on the gallows. Also was in the way a bit for the stove sitting there. The new does have advantages.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Tom Ray

I don't like the double ended mainsheet, and prefer to simplify it like this:

It's an "anti-traveler"! ;) Does the opposite of a traveler by letting the boom go where it wants, but that's OK on a cat boat because you don't want to haul the boom up to the center of the boat.

I think the elimination of the bridgedeck traveler makes the boat need a boom vang more than before, but it's good to have that thing out of the cockpit, IMO.

frank

I'm liking how simple your idea is. Good pic
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

hitchhiker

Nice idea!
I will try this setting to see if I like it. Thank you.

cavie

Can the ends of the sheets be splice together to make one continuous line?