a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rigging. how do i keep boom up when sail down

Started by jgalaxie, August 18, 2008, 11:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgalaxie

hi, just got my 16.  grew up on cats and sunfish, and are a little confused on some of the rigging.  mainly keeping the boom up when sail is down, do i have to switch the one rope out every time i change.  sorry about not knowing some lingo.  + the teak rails for the cabin entrance are toast, can i use oak for now, if not, where would i find these parts?  thank you all for this great site and any help.  p.s.  i'm in orlando

Deb

Hi Jgalaxie
I'm a newbie too but am learning alot here. 
I use a sail stop under the gooseneck to hold the boom up before I get the mainsail up then adjust as needed.
Deb

romei

I have a sail stop on the mast and a topping lift on the end of the boom.  A topping lift is a line that goes from the aft end of the boom to the top of the mast.  My topping lift is currently a thin 1/4" rope.  I was going to eventually ask in here if it would be okay for me to replace that with 3/16" coated cable, so now is as good a time as any for that question I guess.

On mine, when the sail is down and the topping lift is supporting the weight of the boom, the boom is typically about 2 or 3 inches lower than it is when I have the sail up.  When I raise the sail, it releases the tension on the topping lift and the topping lift becomes slack allowing the main sail to stiffen up and take the weight of the boom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_lift
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

doug

I have had the best luck getting parts by simply ordering them from Hutchins (someone just posted a parts list with pricing within the last couple of weeks). I can't comment on how long Oak would last, but there is enough work in removal, varnish/cetol and remounting em, I'd go with the teak.

Rick Klages

Topping lift connected from mast head to the far end of the boom.

ick

Craig Weis

Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct when I say that C-P 16's do not have a stern standing rigging? So any topping lift would be from the top-O-mast?

If these boats had standing rigging in the stern then simply u-clamp a 1/4 dia stainless steel cable [wire rope] with a quick disconnect from the standing rigging to the eye in the back of the boom. Might be able to see that in 'skip's pics' found on the two addresses below.

Yep, on the Frappr pictures where I am standing up and just sailing on the head sail, I can see the 'topping lift' holding up my boom as the main is stowed on the boom. No I don't like coated wire, as I can't see if it's dangerously rusted.

Also Jgalaxie, the wood above the portals are called eye brows, the drop-in wood for the campanionway are drop boards, [I cut mine in to two pieces for better storage].

OK No back stay on 16's Roger that thanx.  Hey, Maybe the main sail halyard can be long enough to snap onto the far end of the boom? skip.

Paul

No backstay on a CP-16.  So, attaches at the top of the mast.  Here's another discussion on the topic.  I have a recommendation towards the end of the thread.  Check it out.

http://com-pacowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=2037.0

$0.02

woverend

I haven't actually tried this yet, and won't get a chance til I get back to the boat around xmas time, but my 16 had been rigged with lazy jacks and thin 1/4" topping lift line.  My boat's all put away for the off-season, but I'm thinking about skipping the topping lift next time I rig her and just letting the lazy-jacks hold up the boom.  Any thoughts?

John J

Before raising the mast, run a small line, approx. 1/8 in. diameter through the small hole on top of the mast and attach one end to a mast cleat and the other to the end of the boom or to the small cleat near the end of the boom once the mast has been raised.  You can then adjust the height of the aft end of the boom with this line.  When raising the sail, keep the aft end raised slightly higher than the gooseneck so that the rope slide will go up the mast slot easily.  After the mainsail is up, loosen the topping line and leave it slacked while sailing.  Tighten the line before you lower the sail keeping the mainsheet tight so the boom remains above the center of the boat.