a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fixed Swim Ladder

Started by Deb, August 16, 2008, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

I'd like y'all's opinion on adding a fixed swing down metal swim ladder to the stern.  The idea of more holes in the boat  bothers me but being accidently out in the water while the portable swim ladder is stowed below doesn't work either.  There is a big cost too as for everything else.  Would free up some space inside.
Any specific kinds?
Deb

Potcake boy

Deb,
Unless you sail only in water no deeper than waist high I would very strongly recommend a means of boarding from in the drink. Even more so if you are like me and do a lot of singlehanding. Even if someone is on the boat it is very difficult getting crew back over the rail and that person may be necessarily preoccupied with the crisis that caused you to be in the water in the first place.

The scary thing about many tragedies is that they start out very quietly then suddenly you find yourself in the grips of a desperate situation (personal experience - I'm lucky to be here today).

I always wear an inflatable life jacket because I'd hate to watch my boat sailing away from me on auto pilot with my life jacket on board. Wouldn't you feel foolish?

I'm not one of the safety police but prudence is what makes a good sailor.

I believe in safe sex and safe sailing - oh isn't that the same thing!!!!!

Let Phelps be the swimming star.
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Potcake boy

Oh Deb,
Meant to mention that you might check the models used on the Sun Cat or picnic Cat, one of them should fit. just make sure it extends deep enough that you can leverage yourself up from the first rung. I sail a CP19 and it came with a factory ladder - a good serviceable model. I removed the plastic block used to hold it up - sharp corners and use a short piece of light line tied to the stationary part that can be tied around the folding section when up. Very important that you can untie it from in the water. It's not complex but I could send pics if you like.
If you'd like pics please remind me by weeks end as I will be busy the next couple of days with hurricane prep as we are smack dab in the middle of the target area for Fay. We got our butts kicked in 2004 with Charlie and this one is looking eerily similar. But don't fret the CP19 is now snug on her trailer and ready to be towed out of harms way.

Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Craig Weis

Swim ladders...I had to buy and add the ladder, stern pulpit, the staunchans and the life lines.

Cost a fourtune, and I was not that impressed with the weld quality, probably some illegal Mexican welded it. The items were dropped shipped out of California, the land of "fruits, and nuts and flakes".

On the inside of the fiberglass hull the company has provided 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood pads that are glassed in and these provide a landing for the stainless steel 1/4 inch bolts, flat washers, and nylock nuts that are slathered up on both ends with lots of 3-M 5200 slow set goop.

So locate the mountings of the ladder and drill within the plywood reinforcements.

I sail with the UHMW clip that came with my ladder when I ordered it. To pull the ladder down from it's stored and folder position when I fall in the water I rely on a tiny nylon, but very strong, braided line that has a round red/white fishing bobber tied to it. The line is NOT long enough to foul the outboard's propeller, but long enough to grab on to and trails behind the boat.

I have been able to climb a board using this ladder from standing on the bottom after I beach her to wash the waterline or from treading water over the bottom after swimming to the boat from the island beach as she sits at anchor. Look~see my pictures to view the transom shots.

If your still using the aluminum flat blade rudder on Com-Pacs one can mount a folding step used for climbing masts, under water on the blade. See Burgess's book on Trailer Sailing. I push enough water now and don't think adding drag is a capital idea.

And one more thing I have the bad habit of locking the main sheet, head sheet, and the tiller down and allowing the boat to sail it's self. I have fallen asleep! And was awakened by a big wave that tossed me into the soul of the cockpit. LOL!

And last the Coast Guard finds most men who are recovered but dead and assumed to have fallen off the boat while sailing solo...have their flys open. skip.

Deb

Hi...Y'all are too much!  Crack me up!
I've read Trailer Sailor and saw the rudder step. 
If you have a West Marine catalog which one do you suggest?  What do you think of the T - bar ladders?  What is the pushpit?
Deb

Potcake boy

Deb,
If you are referring to what is generally called a sport or diving ladder, then it is functionally what you currently have. It is not intended to be a permanent mount and would probably be stowed below when you need it to get back on board. I would suggest the folding or telescoping transom mount (I prefer fewer moving parts) that will fit your (boat's) transom and very important, drop deep enough into the water that you can hoist yourself from the lowest rung. If the ladder isn't deep enough you may have real difficulty getting up unless you are a gymnast. You probably won't have any bottom to stand on to get a boost.

Tire pressure ratings are given as cold readings - meaning that the tires haven't been driven for at least an hour. Tires heat from flexing and rolling resistance therefore showing a higher pressure of the heated air. So simply check your tire pressure before you depart. Low air pressure can lead to tire failure especially with a full load at highway speed. Make sure you have the bearings properly greased - that's what most of those boats perked on the side of the highway have in common - burned out wheel bearings.

P.S. don't go for the nitrogen fill up money making scam - the air we breath is already 82% nitrogen.

As you can see - trailer sailors face two hazardous environments - but being on the water is a lot more fun.

Enjoy the ride,
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Paul

Ron,

Good call on the cold reading recommendation.  That's pretty important, especially for longer hauls.

Deb

I'm considering the Hutchin's factory swim ladder?  Any pros or cons?   Ease, drag, size, rungs, holes, strength, ?????
Thanks, Deb

Salty19

Doug 142 gave me a good tip on this...the Garelick Transom mount ladder (2 step).  It costs about $100 and is permanently mounted. It's made of aluminum so low weight.  The Hutchins ladder is $269 and looks to be similar (not exactly the same).    The 2 step works just fine.  If you're not flexible, get the 3 step.

As for putting holes in the transom, there is nothing to worry about provided ample amounts of 3M 5200 marine sealant is used on the bolts, washers and hardware facing the transom.  Similar to all other hole in the boat installations, use epoxy on the holes after drilling out to slightly oversized dimensions. Do a search if doubts about this. The secret is a proper install.

I cut mine (left side of ladder stalk) to fit parallel with the center line, Doug did not.  Both work great. Check it out.  We both can't speak for long-term testing...we both installed them this year. However, they are guaranteed for life and appear stout.

Good luck!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Deb

Howdy
Ron, Glad you didn't get blasted by Fay...
Still deciding on the ladder...if you can will you send a picture. If it's factory installed does it have round steps?
I did see Doug's  and Salty's pics.  Very nice boats gentlemen.
I like that Garelick.  But am still searching.  Any advice appreciated.
Deb

Craig Weis

My factory ladder is simply a round tube rung . skip.

Deb

Howdy Y'all, Had a wonderful time in Florida.  The Jean Marie loves getting salty.  The work I've done on her caused lots of ooo's and aaahhh's.  She really is pretty.  I went by Hutchin's and met Gerry and had the 'factory' swim ladder put on.  Great job and I'm so happy I did this.  I feel so much safer.  Gerry is great and gave us a tour of the factory, very impressive!!!
He said I had a nice boat, which to me was music to my ears!!!
Missed all the bad weather and never once got rained on.  When I sailed out of Fort Desoto launch and was playing in the shallows I saw another CP16 going out...Anyone here?  As for my tires I watched them carefully and allowed them to cool at each fill er ups.  I only lost 5 pounds of pressure in one after about 800 miles.
Next project...refinishing the tiller...
Deb

romei

Good stuff Deb.  I'm in envy of you.  I'd like to go to FLA and meet Gerry and tour the place some day, as well as  do some sailing.  Perhaps I'll get the chance next year. 

I only ever met Gerry on the phone.  It was when I was a brand spankin new rookie and just bought the boat and called down to order new standing rigging and a manual.  Gerry answered the phone when I called and gave me probably the best customer service that I've ever recieved.  My first thought was, WOW!

I was extremely impressed that the owner of a company that produces such a high quality yacht still takes the time to answer the phones and stay that close in touch to his customers. 

Again, ...Good Stuff!  Keep it coming :-D

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

Craig Weis

Finishing the tiller, I just grab a hand sized 3-M green scratch pad each preseason and rough the old varnish up a bit till it is cloudy. Then wipe with mineral spirits, same as paint thinner, let dry and brush on a coat of spar varnish. Next day mineral spirit and a paper towel brush-wipe-dry and #2 coat. Next day same thing #3 coat. And next day #4 coat...that's enough...let her dry three days and bolt the tiller back on the rudder casting.

I hang the tiller from a bolt through the wood mounting holes. A wire each end of the bolt from the garage beam. It moves a little bit when I brush it on. Never put so much on that it runs...or you have to let it dry and start over. I started with those foam brushes but like the horse hair brush better skip.

Deb

The tiller is looking gorgeous....like the hanging idea skip!  I used a clamp on a saw horse, but your idea is better.  I've got three coats on and gave her a light sanding last nite.  One or two more coats and she's ready to go back on. 
Deb