a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Electrical glitch

Started by tjakey, August 11, 2008, 09:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjakey

"Nomad" came up with a new electrical glitch.  Though both the batteries show a full charge when checked on the meter, the engine will only start with the DC master switch in "1" or "ALL."  In position "2" the starter action clearly indicates a dead battery.

I am still learning my way around our 1986 Com-Pac 27 and am not entirely sure how the DC system is supposed to work.  I had assumed that "ALL" was for starting and engine running operations (so that both batteries would charge off the alternator). "1" or "2" were to be used under sail and while on the hook so that only one battery was being discharged, leaving the other for start.

Troubleshooting starts week after next.  (I'm away from the boat spending time with a new grand daughter this week.)  Any ideas?

Also, on leg of the AC master switch failed.  I jumped that leg so I could get power shore power on the boat but have had absolutely no luck coming up with a replacement switch.  I really don't want to wire in a whole new electrical panel if I can avoid it.  Anyone know what kind of switch the AC master is, and were I can buy one?

Craig Weis

Sure, Master switch sold by AutoZone, NAPA, Wal-MArt, WestMarine...check the following.

1~If both batteries show full charge.
-Simply try cleaning all battery posts AND
-The clamps that go around the post AND
-The lugs that are screwed down with the thumb screws...
...using a special battery post wire brush cleaner from any automotive parts house, or Wal-Mart. Can also carry some 800 grit sandpaper for those clean-up's.

I had a 1962 Ford Fairlane in-line 200 cuin 6, 3 "on the tree"- in H.S.
I fired her up, backed her out of dad's driveway, and killed her in the street with the clutch.
Turned the key...nothing. All the lights worked, fan, radio, all worked.
Cleaned both battery terminals while blocking the street.
Turned the key, instant start.
Ran for two more years without a problem.
Just dirty terminals. Had enough amps to run the consumables, but not enough amps to jump through the dirty terminals and pull in the starter relay in.

2~Clean the lugs on the '1' 'both' '2' 'Off' battery selector switch.
-Check that the hand operated pointer for selecting what is actually desired.
For example it might point at '1' and really be 'Off'. Don't laugh, I have a switch where the handle can be pushed on in any of four positions. May be one 'selector' option is no good. Check for continuity. 

3~Of course wiring, usually a rats nest. Sort it out, tag the leads, wire tie the wires in proper bundles, meter the contact points looking for a short. Just generally sit down there and 'look~see' the whole system over. Trace the route out with your hand. Be neat.

4~Battery usuage, my parents had all kinds of boats, most with dual batteries. Always one battery was for JUST STARTING, and one was for LIGHTS or what ever. And BOTH were charged off the motor's alternator with the battery selector switch set to 'Both'. skip.