a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

water in cockpit

Started by awamd, August 11, 2008, 01:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awamd

I have a com-pac 16/3.  It presently rides in the water at a dock.  If it rains the cockpit floor and seats will have about 1/4 inch of water puddle at the companion way.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Is this a design flaw where the seats and floor of the cockpit do not slant to the stern?  If I stand on the stern the water will run out the self-bailers.  Has anyone tried putting weight in the stern?  The boat seem to ride level with no evidence that the bow is down.  There is no weight in the boat except fot the battery in the bow.
AWA

Rick Klages

Too much weight forward.  Move some aft.  My 16/3 trims out so the cockpit drains without any problem.  I have read where some folks have had the other problem where the cockpit floor is always wet.  That calls for more weight forward.

ick

doug

I have the same problem with my 2002 cb 16. The two things are in the bow, the anchor and the battery. I have a Mercury 4 hp on the stern, it and my 190 pounds on the port rear side of the craft successfully drain most of the water out of the cockpit, the rest is a microfiber rag wiping and wringing. My boat also seems level (however i know looks can be deceiving as I moved the tape and the bottom paint up an inch on both sides because my port side with the Mercury listed sufficiently to get hard growth an inch above my bottom paint) and to look at it now, its completely balanced.

Paul

You might want to check to see if the seat is level (straight) all the way to the companionway.  Mine takes a very small slant downward just forward of the sitting area.  Not a big deal for me as the slant is not enough to cause water to flow into the cabin.

Not much you can do about it other than what is stated above.

$0.02