a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Motor size

Started by demanon, June 12, 2008, 08:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demanon

Hello all .... another newbie question ... (Thanks for your replies to anchor location - Melvin, will take your suggestion about the bucket ,.. thanks!) my mariner 2.5 is dead and have the factory book here suggesting 3 to 4 hp as recommended size..... is there any HP/brand favored by you all?
Dave

Seaman Deuce

I got a Yamaha 4 Stroke, 4 HP.  Came with the Seaman Deuce.l

doug

I have the long shaft 4 hp mercury 4 stroke. The thing is a badged Tohatsu, and other than being a bit of a pain to find simple parts (filters and the like), it seems to be all one could want (the Tohatsu/Nisson version of this engine is 3.5 hp). Since most of the insides are the same, I'd go with price for this engine family. Others like Honda and Yamaha I assume are dependable relatively light engines and would work well on a 16. The owners manual says short shaft and I believe 3hp which would likely be all you need (mine came with the engine so I didn't need to shop)

doug

B.Hart

hi Dave, my came with a 2hp and it is ok for the lake but may not be enough fighting currents. Also buy a long shaft motor as mine is a short and when I go forward with my 200# the motor will lift to the point of the exhaust  and top of the prop comes out of the water, could be a problem in rough seas.   BILL

wetland

Dave:

I purchased the honda 4cyc 2HP Long Shaft.  I had my doubts at first about it being powerful enough for the CP-16.  I sail
in strong tidal waters and currents with my CP-16 and have to motor down a wetland creek to get to the bay. 
I am coming from a 6 HP Suzuki 2cyc.  The 2HP 4cyc  Honda took a little getting used to.  It has a centrifical drive (no transmission), Air cooled and air exhausted -Much less pollution- better Karma), slightly noisy exhaust but not bad. And characteristic of 4 cycle engines develops max torque at higher RPMS relative to 2 cycle engines  (Max torque is better at low RPMS but no big deal).   The big plus is weight - Pulling 27 pounds up from the water
is a snap (instead of 50-60).  I really like this feature. A few days ago I was blown into a wetland bank and held there by wind
and incoming tide. (Bad sailing on my part as I was taking the sails down and did not leave myself enough room.  Thought I'd have to get out of the boat and tow it. Cranked the motor and it churned up some mud and propelled me out of there.  The other feature that is nice is the gas consumption.  Even though I motor down a creek, I will probably have to drain the quart of gas it holds after it gets too old.  It doesn't seem to use any gas.  You don't have to store a gas tank with fittings through the transom or anyting like that.  The light weight think gives the boat better balance too. The four cycles do weigh more as they have more motor parts but honda really trimmed this motor down.  Good luck on your  choice.
Tom M

Paul

I have a Honda BF-2 (two horse, four stroke) short shaft.  I'm a bit under 200#, but can still raise the blades out of the water if solo and gone forward.  Rare, but can happen.  More often, the blades raise out due to large boat wakes and rough conditions.  Has enough power, just have to keep it in the water.  ;)

Wish my Jeep drank gas like this motor.  ;D

I'd recommend the long shaft Honda 2 HP for sure.

demanon

How about motor mounts? I probably have what came standard in 1980 ... works but not really easy to raise and lower ... would a modern day mount be any better/easier?
Thanks for all the motor size posts .... is it really no big deal to steer the boat while having to rotate the small motors 360 to go backwards?
Dave

rchiare1

I have a standard length  2001 Mercury 2 cycle - 4hp, mounted on the adjustable bracket. It is no proublem to pull up or adjust. It has never come out of the water due to wave action or crew location, but I believe my results are in large part due to the bracket. I set the motor to the depth I need depending on the conditions; mostly the number of people in the boat.
See for example Overton's  : Outboard Motor Bracket, for outboards up to 8 hp, 8-1/2" vertical travel, max. 59 lbs.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=201239&pdesc=Outboard_Motor_Bracket_for_outboards_up_8_hp_8_1/2_vertical_travel_max_59_lbs&str=outboard%20motor%20bracket&merchID=1008&r=view

It costs aaround $150.

The 4hp 2 stroke, is more engine than I need 90% of the time. So I run it just a notch above the start setting. As a result I get 4+ knots and great feul consumption. f I need the extra power it is available at the twist of a wrist.

My last boat had a fixed bracket, and I relly appreciate adjustable one.

mrb

I have the Tohatsu 3 1/2 with long shaft.  So far it has been a good motor,good fuel economy,never had prop come out of the water,easy starting and more power than I've had call to use.  The only areas of concern are (may sound odd) power, I really find that throttle setting under normal use is just above the start position which means I am running below the motors optimum rpm range. To compensate at least once every trip I run the motor up to mid throttle which helps to keep carbon build up in check, makes a lot of noise and doesn't  add any thing to speed.  Probable need smaller prop.  The long shaft is great and I would not change, however with mount on boat the I sail with the prop in the water which costs me some speed under sail.  I've hit 5+ knots (gps) so not going to worry about that.
Not as quiet as electric but not going there.

One extra good feature is the tiller. The gears are forward and neutral. For reverse I shift to nut. lift tiller and turn motor around and bring tiller forward,shift into gear and use twist handle throttle. ( will take a second to get use to throttle as now you twist it in opposite direction as when in forward.

OK now I'm confused so good luck on your choice.
Melvin

jgalaxie

i got a suzuki 2.5 from a local boat shop for $700 bucks.  nice n' lite, runs smooth, easy to start and two year bumper to bumper guarantee @ any suzuki dealership, anywhere.  the thing pushes my 16 just fine, even in pretty heavy flow in the channels around titusville.  a gallon of gas, which is contained in an onboard tank, last a good 1.5 hours under full throttle.  nice.