a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A-frame raising system, hinged step.

Started by bmiller, May 15, 2008, 05:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmiller

Here is the system on my boat and the hinged mast step, all by the previous owner. He did a good job.

A couple shots of the hinged step, gotta have that to use an A-frame.

Here is the system ready to raise.

The bow anchor system.

The attachment to the frame.

The frame attached to the deck.

Mast crutch, must have.

Mast up.

The process goes like this. First a good crutch is mandatory, the taller the better. The mast is lifted in the crutch then slid back until the mast step can be pinned in place. The aft and middle shrouds are put in place, not the front. The frame is rigged. The headsail halyard to one side and the main sheet, or other big MA to the bow anchor. Keep the frame leaning a bit forward to get a good angle of pull on the main sheet. The frame base is attached to the cabin top during this process. Up we go. If all is right you can raise with the main sheet MA. If not and you need more MA use the halyard winch to get it started. Notice in the photo I did not have the angle right and had to use the winch, that's why the main sheet in not fully compressed.

A few words of advice.
Have a helper when raising. I've done it myself but it's a bear to maintain control of the roller furler, which must be outside the frame when raising. Also that helper can assist getting the first few degress of lift, the hardest part.
Watch all the shrouds and other lines as you go up. If a shroud gets hung up you can tear things up with all that MA. I know.
Do it in calm weather, if the mast gets blown off it can tear up the step.

jimyoung

bmiller,

Thanks for the photos, it looks very close to what I have in mind doing with mine. I will let you know as it progresses.

How was Mexico? Hope you had as good of time as I imagined you were having.
Jim

bmiller

Mexico was a blast. I'll put together a trip report soon.