Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What is the best GPS to buy?

Started by DOUG142, May 12, 2008, 09:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOUG142

Hi all,
Birthday coming soon and on my list is a handheld GPS, but alas!!! Which one to get.  I know nothing about GPS's.  Would like one for the inland lakes and is there is such a thing, also highways.

Give me your comments about your GPS,,, good or bad... I want the best one for the money.

Thanks,
See ya on the lakes.
Doug142, CP16, Summer Escape
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

doug

I bought  a Garmin legend (I think). Was one hundred and fifty or so and it will take the Garmin version of depth charts, only problem is they want another hundred plus for the depth charts. Anyway, I'm happy with it. Its nice to know where you are and see your speed, its water resistant and it will operate from the twelve volt battery instead of using its internal batteries (which don't last all that long). I know that every so often, one of the super fishing, hunting kind of places puts gps on sale, which is likely the time to buy (of course can alway check amazon or eBay.

mrb

Hi
I have Magellans, however Garmins are really the best of the handheld. You will probably want that depth info sooner or later and garman seems to have the best availability.  I was at a bass tournament the other day and one of the pros. showed me his and it had buoys and depth with channel detail.
My Magellan came with buoy and some harbor for all of the coastal United States. I bought a map disk about 5 years ago and can not use it now as the computer ports have changed so can't download new info.

Good luck
Melvin

tmorgan

I just bought a Garmin 400c.  It is expensive ($500+) but it comes with all of the coastal charts for N. America.  The 400i comes with all of the charts for inland waters.  Compared to GPS units for cars, these models are expensive.  But compared to GPS chart units for marine use they are inexpensive.  You can use these models for car travel but if you want the detailed information that comes with the car models, you need to buy some software.  We have a Garman Nuvi 200 for the car so that was not a factor in our purchase. 

DOUG142

Thanks guys for the input, so far the Garmin is winning with inland lake update.  Waiting for more input.
Will keep you posted as to which one wins and will prob need help running it.  Maybe.
Thanks all,
Doug142
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

patch

i bought 2 garmin gps systems.1 handheld and the 276c.they both lacked what i wanted,you had to add to them at a cost of $150.00 or more.just bought the garmin 478 marine gps.amazon had it for $753 which was $247.00 cheaper than west marine. it has every thing needed for sailing the coastal areas of the USA.plus it is auto capable.i plan on useing this gps for cruising the coast of maine and florida.amazon prices were the best i found.check out the garmin 478 gps.

wetland

Two days ago I purchased the Lowrance XOG.  It is a car nav system like the Tom-Tom and others.  It was 199.00.  I purchased the Nav Path SD card for another 99.00.  I also downloaded new release OS and roadmap software from Lowrance for no charge - just to keep everything updated.  So far I have been using it in my car and it works great - attaches to the windshield with a suction cup.  I am really interested in using it in the NJ bays where depth is an issue (In my boat).  Looking forward to trying it this weeked.

Tom M

multimedia_smith

Hi Doug,
Just my two cents... After much research and hand wringing... I woung up with the Uniden Mystic.  It is a Combo hand held chart plotting GPS and VHF radio.  It is submersible and really works great.  I can get the weather reports, talk to bridge operators and other boats, and in case of emergency, it has a "panic" button (protected by a plastic flap) that sends with one push: My location, my ID (which you file with the FCC when you get the unit that includes boat type, contact numbers for family and a description of the boat.  The fact that the button is pushed illicits a response although thankfully, I have never had to test it.

As a GPS, it works great with multiple screens, compas, chart, speedometer, and others.  I use it mainly to see if my tweaks and trims actually do produce more or less headway.

The think I like best about it is that it is ONE thing to grab.

I made a mount for it on the hatch... here's a pic.

http://www.com-pacowners.com/gallery2/displayimage.php?album=49&pos=19

Whichever one you decide on... know that it is a fallible device and is not an absolute substitute for a compass, charts, and knowledge of the waters.

Cheers

Dale

DOUG142

Dale,
Thanks for the input, but since we sail inland lakes and I already have a VHF radio, we opted for the new LOWRANCE XOG with "North" region lakes.  Cost?  $199.99 for the GPS and another $70. for the lakes chip.  Not to bad from what I have seen after shopping around alot.
They haven't come yet.  Hope they make it before my birthday next Saturday.

I will not trust the GPS completely,  we have an built in compass and depth gauge also.

Thanks again everyone for the input.  Now I can read through 60 pages of owners manual.  SMILE

Happy sailing,
Doug and Linda
CP-16,  Hull #1994
SUMMER  ESCAPE

chas5131

skip1930

How about a chart plotter vs. a gps or handheld gps?
Rayathon 435i with the internal antenna. No new holes for the 'mushroom' antenna.

skip.

Shawn

Quote from: chas5131 on July 27, 2012, 01:03:06 PM
What GPS would you buy in 2012?

Are you looking for inland charts or coastal charts? Do you care for it to do double duty as an automotive GPS? Do you have an iPhone/iPad?

Shawn

chas5131

Do not want to couple it with iphone or ipad.
Will want inland and coastal.
Will not put it in a car.
What about Garmin 500 or 550?

Shawn

I wasn't thinking to couple the two, just going to point out that there are a few chartplotting apps. out there for an iPhone or iPad. For example iNavX is very full featured and has free access to a huge amount of charts.

"Will want inland and coastal."

That will add to the cost. Most Garmin's have one or the other built in. To get the other will require additional cost as you would need to by mapping.

"What about Garmin 500 or 550?"

Is that the streetpilot and the nuvi models? If so those do not have any sort of marine charts. You need a chartplotter model. For example see:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148

Do you want it to have a built in sounder to add depth finder functions?

If you aren't against looking at used models you can see:
http://www.garmin.com/us/support/#/{f25d2860-030a-11dc-e9ab-000000000000}/{cc9cbfc0-11e5-11dc-4b06-000000000000}

and

http://www.garmin.com/us/support/#/{f25d2860-030a-11dc-e9ab-000000000000}/{b3e4a870-5741-11dc-4ec8-000000000000}

For used models it is very important to understand what charts it will have pre-loaded and what it will cost to add the additional charts that you will want. Some will require additional data cards and the maps can be very expensive, esp. for the older models.

Shawn

chas5131

I don't even know what a chartplotter is.   
Used an early eTrek.  Took so many buttons I got tired of learning how to use it again every year.