a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

KOINONIA SAILIN'!

Started by Bob23, May 08, 2008, 05:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Yup, it's true. Koinonia and I went out for our first sail of the season. After some business in the morning, I found myself with a beautiful afternoon available. I had a choice: Go back to work or go sailing. Undecided, I asked myself- "what would my fellow Compac-tors do?" 'Nuff said...down to the boat and off we went.
   Wind was out of the South, 15-20 kts, sun was out and we had a wonderful, but short time.
   I guess that's one plus about being a Northern sailor. When we finally get our boats wet, we know it's only a matter of time before they're coming out if the fall so we try to use the available time wisely...sailing!
   CARPE DIEM!
Bob23, hoistin' the main and looking forward to Compac Convergence 2008!

kchunk

Bob23

Saturday I motor-sailed Koinonia down to her mooring in Swan Cove, Surf City, NJ. Don't try to find it on a map...I made up the name. Due to light to non-existent winds, I only sailed for about half an hour and motored the rest of the time. But, any time on the water is good time.
Toward the end of the journey, rain started but you gotta embrace every moment of life, not just the ones that appeal to you.
Bob23, philosophizin' again.

Bob23

KOINONIA SURVIVES RAGING NOR' EASTER!
   Here in NJ, we had quite a Northeast storm yesterday. It was not fun, watching my ship tossed about, unable to row out to her because the winds were 30- 40 with gusts in the 50's. Checked on her last night..looks ok. I'll row out early this morning before work and reassure her that I still love her. I think she knows.
Bob23, sleepless in NJ

Mundaysj

Hi Bob,
I was wondering how you were doing yesterday.  The winds were terrible here in PA and I figured they would even be worse along the coast.  We need some nice sunny breezy warm days... Maybe they are waiting for me...LOL.
Sherie

Bob23

Yes, we had some major beach erosioin here on Long Beach Island. Everyone forgets that this is just one big sandbar! A few sailboats that I know about broke loose: One, a 40' ketch is on the beach at "The Dike" up on the North End of LBI, where I happen to be building a house (not my own.) Another, a 25'-27' sloop  is in view of mine in Surf City. She's on the salt marsh now and has lost her mast and rigging.
   Sherie, I guess you are glad yours wasn't in yet, eh? How is your twin looking? Do you think they are identical twins?
   I'm planning on sailing on Thursday...cut out of work around mid morning after I set the boys up.
Hope to see you soon!
Bob23, finally in the water. Oh, speaking of water, you asked me how it was? I had to wade out to my dingy today to row out to "Koinonia". Cold...quite cold!

Bob23

Well, I finally figured out how to post photos in the Gallery. There are 5 photos there of Koinonia......who said you can't teach and old dog new tricks? Now, if I can only learn how to add one to my profile!
Bob23, still learnin'. woof woof

kchunk

Nice pics Bob! Question about those winches...what size are they? I sure miss my self tailing winches from my other boat.

Bob23

K:
   Those are Andersen 12ST, single speed. Someone in the past was kind to me and did some nice upgrades to this boat. I guess I just take the self-tailing for granted. They are nice. Due to recuperating left rotator cuff, and hurtin' right one, it's nice to use the starboard one to raise the main.
   I suppose now that I'm on a roll with the photos, I'll post more. I have detailed shots of my winter cover arrangement but, hey! who wants to think about winter now? It's sailin' season!
   Best to you, Bob23 off to work

DOUG142

Bob,
I have been following your thread even tho I only have a great little CP 16. 
You wondered how to add a pic to your profile.  1.  login  2. At the top click on Profile. 3.  Left side scroll down to forum profile appearance.  4.  On that screen near the top either type in  a website where your picture that you want as your profile picture.  Include the exact route to get to the pic.  or you can try the other option there to upload your pic from a file on your computer.  I didn't have alot of luck with this option nor has others.  So if you have a site where you can "park " your picture that you want use it and write down the path to get to it. 
Good luck and hope to see a picture in your profile soon.

By the way ............. great looking boat she is.

Doug142
CP 16, Summer Escape
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Bob23

Doug:
  Thanks. It has taken me this long to just learn to post photos, who knows if I'll ever get arouind to it? Especially now that it's sailing season.
  And thank you for the compliment. I like my 23 and have put numerous hours and some $ into her. But I have to admit, sometimes I miss my old Seapearl 21. True, no cabin of any sort but I could and did sail her anywhere including up small canoe creeks.
   I also love the 16's. There is something to be said for keeping things simple and me being a tinkerer, have found more things to tinker with on my 23 than I possibly could on a 16. Most of my sailing is done solo and I sometimes wonder if a 16 would better suit my needs? I'd probably sail more and tinker less on a 16. Hmm...there's one for sale just down the road?
   Went out for a sunset sail just last night after work. I pass my moored vessel every night on the way home so it's quite convenient to just hop on board for even a few hours. I'm hoping to do at least one mulit-day cruise this simmer in addition to the CompacConvergence 2008.
   BOb23, off to make coffee! Ah, caffiene- the gift of God

B.Hart

BOB, love the classic photo. I would be a nervous wreck with my 16 on a hook in foul weather, but there is nothing better than a sail boat waiting to go when you are ready to sail  HAPPY SAILING   BILL

Mundaysj

Hi Bob,
You are right .. I'm glad my baby was not in for those winds.  We might have twins, but they are definitely not identical.  I saw your pictures.  Koinonia is a beauty!  She looks spotless!
Mine is currently covered with little leaves from the trees and a bit of dirt from sitting in the field.  Cleaning the deck is the last on my list.  I still have to get a second coat on the top stripe.  And of course I need to get the mast up and check out the standing rigging and sails.
When I finish I'll be sure to post some pics and you can see your long lost twin!
Happy Sailing,
Sherie

Bob23

Sherie:
   They still might be identicals...mine just spent more time in the tub gettin' scrubbed. If you look close at Koinonia, she still needs a good scrubbing on her decks and I think I saw a small scratch on  one of her cabinboards! Can you believe it?
   When I got her, she suffered some serious neglect and mistreatment on her exterior teak. I removed almost everything, sanded to bare teak, and applied 7 coats, count 'em -7, on everything, sanding between each coat. I hope I never have to sand anything ever again. Take that back...just am in the process of re-doing the brightwork on my Annapolis Wherry. For me, it's therapeutic.
   I'm glad your ship was safe on land...we clocked 62 mph+ gusts down here on Monday. Not fun watching Koinonia on her mooring flail back and forth in protest. She might be a little Italian...got a hot temper, is fiercely loyal, and knows how to treat her man. She only asks respect in return.
   Look forward to seeing your photos...I may even post some more!
Bob23, techno-challenged

Bob23

Bill, I was a nervous wreck. I know the boat could take it and I use 2  5/8" lines but chain can wear fast during a blow like we had on Monday. The only damage came when the rudder dropped and the waves threw it back and forth, unlashing the tiller and putting some nice gashes in an otherwise flawless tiller.
   I'm thankful she weathered the storm.
   And a happy sailing to you!!!!
Bob23