a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailerable 27 ?

Started by jimyoung, April 10, 2008, 10:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimyoung

Do any of you 27 owners trailer your boat?  I am looking into building a trailer to transport my 27 to different locations with the intention of "Ramp Launching" it. I envision the trailer having an extendable tongue (tube-in-tube) to be able to get it into the water enough to float off and some use of the trailer winch system for raising and lowering the mast. I understand that it will be a time consuming process but would greatly extend my ability to explore.

Open to comments and suggestions.

Jim 

kchunk

Hi there Jim.

I don't have a 27 but I used to have a Catalna 27. A few obvious hurdles will be the boat ramp you plan to use. It will have to be rather steep and/or long. I've heard a few 23's having problems finding suitable ramps. If you do find a ramp steep enough to launch, then you have to think about lugging that beast UP the ramp when you haul her. That will take quite a bit of torque AND traction, and if your trailer wheels fell off the deep end of the ramp, forget it!

How many times a year do you think you'll be relocating the boat? If it's only once or twice, in my opinion, you'd be better off building a trailer with a cradle and finding a marina to lift your boat and splash it at your destination. When I had my C27, the boatyard used to charge $125 for a round trip (haul, pressure wash the bottom, block and shore in the yard and splash after I was done with the work), and I think it was $80 to step the mast with their crane. I have no idea how much your mast weighs, but I wouldn't consider stepping the mast on my C27 without a crane (although I know it's been done before).

Good luck!

Bob23

Isn't the 27's beam wider than legal over the road? I think it is here in NJ but correct me if I'm wrong. Would be nice if I was 'cause I could've bought one last year for a song but didn't
   I have a 23 that I trailer back and forth to the marina for launching and retrieving. I'd need a trailer extension to ramp launch her and for what the marina charges me to launch, I could'nt replace 2 wheel bearing let alone 4.
  bob23 in NJ

bmiller

Yes

Whenever we take it to salt water we pay to have it launched via travel lift or crane, cheap insurance against trailer damage.

Here is my tongue extension for fresh water use..

We leave in a couple days for San Carlos Mexico. That's going to be a long trip. We'll be there for three weeks and trailer back.

It can be done, I've seen Dana 24's that weigh more then CP27's on trailers. There's one here near where I live. The first time we went to San Carlos there was a guy who trailered a Cal 30 down from Washington. That boat was huge on the trailer.

As for mast stepping I use an A-frame the previous owner made. He also hinged the mast step. It works very well. I'll put up some photos in a day or so when we drop the mast for transport.

Good luck.

jimyoung

Looks exactly like what I have in mind! Please if you get the opportunity to get some pics of the A-Frame setup and mast hinge configuration do so.  Your tongue extension setup looks well thought out, how deep do you need to get the trailer to load the boat? I don't worry so much about pulling the boat out (4 wheel drive) as much as the drop-off at the end of some ramps.

Thanks again for the photos and hope you have a fantastic time in San Carlos!

bmiller

As the boat sits on the trailer it takes about 5.5 feet of water. The tongue extension works pretty good, backing it is a bitch, two pivot points. The wheels are standard wheelbarrow wheels.

A-frame pics are coming, as long as I don't forget. Our departure got delayed a bit. Need to replace some bearings and hub assemblies. If you do build a trailer I'd suggest two big axles as opposed to three. I have three 3,500# axles. They get torqued pretty bad in tight turns, like manuevering on a ramp, or pulling into the fuel pumps. And buy the best axle/hub/bearings you can find. There is nothing worse than shelling a bearing at highway speed in the middle of nowhere. I know.

As soon as it's light I get to go back out and finish hooking up brake lines and bleeding the system. then the mast comes down and we leave.

bmiller

Jim,

It started snowing and I got in a hurry to get the mast down. So no pics right now. Maybe when we get to Mexico it will be a little warmer and I can get some pics.

We leave in the morning, see ya.

jimyoung

No problemo.....  I'm sure the weather will get warmer the farther south you get. Where in the mountains are you that you are still seeing snow? What with global warming and all I thought everyone was having the same warm weather that we in Florida are use to.

Have a GREAT time and post pictures when you can of both the a-frame AND the trip. Even after just getting home from a five week trip sailing about the Keys I still envy your trip.

catalina erneston 1111

Jim, I am a new owner of a 27 that will be kept in Punta Gorda, Florida.  I plan to store the boat on a

trailer which I have yet to have made. I need some advice on obtaining a hinged mast step and I know

people have had these made. If you know of anyone, please let me know. I trailered my Compac 19 for years

I know the mast on the 27 is larger but I do not think it is unmanageable with the right rig.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

catalina erneston 1111

peterg

Ballenger Spars sells mast hinges that would be appropriate for your 27.  Not inexpensive, but very well made.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

frank

Try calling Gerry's brother Rich at the factory. (Not Gerry or Matt)
He can make about anything out of SS. He'd know your mast and what to do.
Have had him do stantions for an Electra I restored, type 316 screw in moorings and solar mounts.
Old school and knows his trade! I was there the day he was mocking up the big bow pulpit on the 1st CP23  pilot house. Neat watching him work.
Fun to talk to as well.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Patrick

Quote from: catalina erneston 1111 on August 26, 2016, 08:51:57 PM
Jim, I am a new owner of a 27 that will be kept in Punta Gorda, Florida.  I plan to store the boat on a

trailer which I have yet to have made. I need some advice on obtaining a hinged mast step and I know

people have had these made. If you know of anyone, please let me know. I trailered my Compac 19 for years

I know the mast on the 27 is larger but I do not think it is unmanageable with the right rig.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

catalina erneston 1111

I used an A-Frame setup and don't need a fully hinged step.  My wife and I can raise and lower the mast at will now.
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

Jma1_nemo

I second pgudat's comment. We are new cp27 owners also, so far, one unstepping done, and one re-stepping done using the a-frame method, with another unstepping to be done within the month, and we trailer ours also.